I was chatting with DA about this on monday. He described the event as a zoo outside of 16. Add tiger and ypu have crazy zoo. Taking away the fun at 16 combined with course changes might drive people away.
with Tiger there & the super bowl this year, nobody is going anywhere

Weak. I take the kids to minor league games (baseball and hockey) where stuff is just *constantly* thrown into the stands. That aspect of this tournament is one of the best parts of it. Shame to see such a shortsighted move.

While I love to post my disdain of the PGA, I can actually understand this...

People are willing to pretty much disable each other for a freebie. I've seen grown men fight over cheap hockey pucks and baseballs that were thrown in to the stands. Mix in the booze, and you have a recipe for trouble. As long as they're not changing the stadium setup around the 16th itself, I get why they did it.

completely understand this logic. I can see both sides, for the most part I'm mostly annoyed by loud drunk people having lived in Vegas for almost 20 years. If they don't go because they aren't getting free stuff, oh well. It is one of the coolest atmosphere's on tour though. No real need to me to change anything, plenty of holes to watch on if you don't want to be part of the chaos.

What's wrong with having a good time on the course? Seriously every other tournament is calm unless someone nails a big shot!

If people want to drink a bunch and have a great time so what as long as nobody gets hurt seriously?

You probably like those halfwits that yell out "babba booey" (or whatever it is) and "get in the hole" on par 4's and par 5's. Your pergoative. I don't like people behaving like arses when I go to the golf but that's just me.

Good Zoo or bad zoo?

I'd hate to see people driven away because a bunch of old men want to be sticks in the mud

Heaven forbid someone actually go to a golf tounament to watch golf!

Didn't they ban caddie races a couple of years ago? I mean, the Phoenix Open is one of those few events where the players just seem to have fun at all times, whether they are winning or not. It is always fun to see when players hit a bad shot on 16, they seem to kind of 'enjoy' or at least smile at all of the booing. Its just the one time of year when stuff like that is acceptable, and it's nice to see the players just sort of have fun like a regular guy would.

Next thing you know, they'll ban alcohol at the 16th hole for 'safety reasons for the fans.'

~Rock

This is a bad move by the PGA Tour. I wonder if this will effect attendance at all

PGA C'Mon Man

I feel this is a bad move by the tour, this is a tradition. It does not hurt anyone by doing this, in fact it builds a great stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf is obviously thriving enough in the U.S. that the PGA Tour believes that some harmless fun that provides cool entertainment to fans is just not needed.

This is the OPPOSITE of what golf in the U.S. needs.

100% agree. What a ridiculous idea by a drowning spirt. Im 27 years old and only one of my friends really olays golf and actively follows professional golf. Moves like this wont help attract young fans.

What's wrong with having a good time on the course? Seriously every other tournament is calm unless someone nails a big shot!

If people want to drink a bunch and have a great time so what as long as nobody gets hurt seriously?

Good Zoo or bad zoo?

I'd hate to see people driven away because a bunch of old men want to be sticks in the mud
Bad zoo, he said it's like a low hum on the 16th and the players like. Outside of the 16th is usually the drunks leaving the 16th.

Everything I'd say has been covered in this thread. PGA Tour = Out of touch.

I feel this is a bad move by the tour, this is a tradition. It does not hurt anyone by doing this, in fact it builds a great stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16phxopen_zps7acdb080.png

It is an AWESOME stage, and the atmosphere is charged up and FUN! You'd have to be there to appreciate it. Look at those corporate tents - how much do you think they make on #16 alone?

Next thing you know, a single pro will complain about the noise and it will be the beginning of the end of this tradition (if this latest decision by the PGA isn't already the first coffin nail...)

They should poll the pros on the removal of the caddie races, as well as this decision. I'm sure the fans would run about 99.9% in favor of keeping both; I'll bet the pros would be at least 80%.

This is just a senseless move IMO.

I am an old stick-in-the-mud, I guess, but if I want too see drunken screaming I'll go to an NFL game. I'd also like to see every dolt that screams "Get in the hole!" at the tee box flogged from the course and banned for life from every tournament.

I am an old stick-in-the-mud, I guess, but if I want too see drunken screaming I'll go to an NFL game. I'd also like to see every dolt that screams "Get in the hole!" at the tee box flogged from the course and banned for life from every tournament.
Amen !!!!!

Is the goal to attract fans, or attract players? Do we want golf to be just another spectator sport? Does #16 really attract players to the game or just fans? And, what is it that they are really fans of... golf, or partying? Whether or not holes like #16 grow the game is debatable (I say they don't), but if we don't start attracting more dedicated players to the game (those willing to spend the time and money it takes to learn the skill) the courses will continue to close and equipment companies will follow suit and people will drive by the few remaining golf courses like they drive by football and baseball stadiums. Totally detached from the game, but a "big fan" of it. Also, people trying to relive their college frat days through their adult endeavors need to step back and remind themselves of what those frat houses looked like on Monday morning.

It's one hole at one tournament... I think it's a nice change of pace. Just like when they used to cut up at the Skins Game every year... They just cut up in a differen way now.

Back