PGA Tour Responds to Premier Golf League

I think this has legs and is going to get really interesting. On the current PGA Tour the top players are completely subsidizing the lesser players, not to mention subsidizing the entire Champions Tour and I could see enough top players getting sick of it and moving over to PGL. Rory has already tapdanced around this issue in a few press conferences, hinting that the PGA Tour needs to completely fix the dispersion of money.

He did discuss money quite a bit, which was calculated, but he also said he was a big fan of the tradition that the PGA Tour brings, which goes out the window by jumping.

I think this has legs and is going to get really interesting. On the current PGA Tour the top players are completely subsidizing the lesser players, not to mention subsidizing the entire Champions Tour and I could see enough top players getting sick of it and moving over to PGL. Rory has already tapdanced around this issue in a few press conferences, hinting that the PGA Tour needs to completely fix the dispersion of money.

The deciding factor has got to be Tiger. If he decides to give the PGA Tour the 1-finger salute and move over for a large equity stake in PGL, or in a PGL Team - watch out. Will he? I have no idea.

As a fan I think the PGA Tour is a victim of it's own success. They are so entrenched in their traditions that they can't see the forest for the trees anymore. Coverage is awful and stale, especially on CBS (IMO). Ultimately I think there's room for a competitor to the PGA Tour.

I almost think at this age it would be smart for Tiger to make the jump. This seems like great timing where he could be a part of something that has the potential to be huge and help put his fingerprint on it.

I almost think at this age it would be smart for Tiger to make the jump. This seems like great timing where he could be a part of something that has the potential to be huge and help put his fingerprint on it.

Do you think it would prohibit him from catching Jack?
It is interesting that right now people are up in arms over tour players playing in a tournament overseas, but supportive of an entire tour based on the monies, right?

It is interesting that right now people are up in arms over tour players playing in a tournament overseas, but supportive of an entire tour based on the monies, right?

In my personal view I am not a fan of either. But, the tour needs to develop a better product for TV and if the threat of the PGL helps that I think its a win win.

I think it only prohibits him if the PGA completely bans him from their tour. If he's still allowed to play in the Majors though I don't think anything changes in his attempt to catch Jack.

I think part of why people are supportive of this kind of tour based on money is that it's something new and outside of the box. Outside of the FedEx Cup, which isn't super exciting to me anyway, the PGA Tour has basically been doing the same thing forever. They aren't doing anything to improve viewing, rounds take forever which makes it tougher to follow and they aren't really doing anything to groom personality in to the tour or it's players. The idea of something different and exciting is a bigger deal to me and I think everyone knows that the only way to get it going with the chance to be successful is by throwing money at it.

I would hate to see 2 competing tours. The fun of professional sports is seeing all the best players compete together in the same competition. It would also distort historical comparisons in terms of major and events won by the top players.

That said the PGA needs to mix it up and change some of the old traditions. I would love to see them add in some coed competitions with LPGA and more team events. Improve the coverage and start trying to appeal to younger generations.

For me, this new offshoot tour doesn't really interest me much. I mean, if they pull over the best golfers on the planet, then I won't have much option if I want to watch the best players golf. Maybe it's the formats that get me. I like a 4 day tournament and individual competition. The team aspect doesn't really excite me much. I think it has it's place to some degree. It just isn't as interesting to me. At face value, this just kind of feels like the Match, or the Japan Skins exhibitions. Decent idea in concept, but potentially lacking in excitement.

I do wonder about the monies as this new tour matures. Is it something that will continue on? Would they make enough to justify it's existence after investing heavily in it for a while?

I get the PGA Tour's stance on it. But, I feel like this is a wake up call and how they pivot at this point will really determine it's fate. There are some aspects of the tour that probably need to change. The issue is, the tour itself doesn't seem willing to do so. Maybe if a competitor steps in, they won't have a choice.

I think it only prohibits him if the PGA completely bans him from their tour. If he's still allowed to play in the Majors though I don't think anything changes in his attempt to catch Jack.

I think part of why people are supportive of this kind of tour based on money is that it's something new and outside of the box. Outside of the FedEx Cup, which isn't super exciting to me anyway, the PGA Tour has basically been doing the same thing forever. They aren't doing anything to improve viewing, rounds take forever which makes it tougher to follow and they aren't really doing anything to groom personality in to the tour or it's players. The idea of something different and exciting is a bigger deal to me and I think everyone knows that the only way to get it going with the chance to be successful is by throwing money at it.

Do you expect the players to all of the sudden speed up on a new tour?
I dont disagree with any of this, but its still an unknown. I just struggle with the idea to chastise players for taking the money in Saudi, but celebrate a tour with the same money backing because of the big bad corporation that is the PGA Tour. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not 100% on this but I don't think the PGA Tour doesn't have any role in the majors, thus not being able to ban any of the top players from competing in the Majors if they went to the new league. The PGA of America puts on the PGA Championship, the US Open is put on by the USGA, the Open is put on by the R&A and the Masters is put on by Augusta National Golf Club. This new league sounds ripe for Brooks since he only gears up for the Majors every year and he can just collect a check at a no cut event for the other weeks of the year.

Reactions: KEV
I learned something in this thread and I didn't even have to use google. Thanks! I didn't know the PGA wasn't in control of the majors. I thought they were. Shows what I know.:LOL:

After watching the phoenix open and seeing the mayhem that goes on at the 16th with the stands, I think it would be pretty cool if the PGL included something like that. (y)

Back