JTJIII

Reaction score
Handicap
Some if you may remember my equipment fraud thread on how I was exposing tour players and their clubs.(ps I will be doing that again this summer) but according to the golf channel Phil will be using the Ping Eye 2 wedge the week. If Phil wins that would send the eye2s thru the roof. Just wanted to inform you.

Can't wait to hear "the unfair" use as the thread talking about Daly using them.

well, phil's 1 over thru 12, he better get to work.

I have no problem w/ guys using the old Ping wedges. Those things are two decades old people.

I know not a lot has gotten technologically better w/ wedges but what little you gain w/ the grooves, you lose w/ the design of the club.

Phil plays a 64* wedge. With new grooves, it basically deems that club un-usable.

And it's not like Phil, along w/ some others, are playing these wedges in brand new condition. John Daly pulled his out of his garage for cripes sakes. Unless they have access to sets of these wedges that have been sitting new in one of those special freezers (yeah, right), I have no problem with it.

Just my thoughts.

I know a lot of folks are throwing the term "spirit of the game" around and how some are abusing it while using these perfectly legal clubs. I have some in my garage right now. I tried them, and they don't play as well as my new stuff. Then again, I don't have a pro tour swing either. .

JMO, but "the spirit of the game" is relative to which era of golf we are talking about. Golf is certainly different now than it was 10, 20, 30, or even 40+ years ago. New club, and ball technology over the years have impacted the spirit of the game to some extent when compared to prior years. Advancements in fairway, and green surfaces have impacted the spirit of the game when compared to those older surfaces. The amount of money the pros now play for has impacted the spirit of the game. Little rule infringements are allowed because "we all do it" the man said, which in turn has impacted the spirit.

I think what one has to do, is decide if the spirit of the game is deteriorating, or changing for the better based on how the game is now structured, and being played. Is this spirit solely for the pros to define, or are the amateurs who are making those early morning walks, pushing their golf carts, responsible for the spirit of the game? :confused2:

All they have to do is learn to hit the stupid ball in the fairway and they wouldn't have to dink around with 20 year old wedges. :dohanim:

Golfers of all skill levels played for a few hundred years without the deep box grooves. I have no sympathy for anyone who can't figure out how to adjust for the change. If they can't do that, then they aren't the players that they thought they were. :rolleyes:

Fwiw I heard once that Ping have retained the moulds for those particular wedges so chances are that they may be newly manufactured clubs. I will also say that I play regularly with a 1 hcap player who still has an eye 2 copper and he can make it talk he's so good with it.

Fwiw I heard once that Ping have retained the moulds for those particular wedges so chances are that they may be newly manufactured clubs. I will also say that I play regularly with a 1 hcap player who still has an eye 2 copper and he can make it talk he's so good with it.

The way I understood it was that they had to be the old clubs, not newly made to be grandfathered in.

I know Padraig Harrington was reported to be using one about 7 or 8 years ago and someone enquired from Ping about the availability of them and they were told that it was no problem getting them as the moulds were kept in the foundry. On a seperate issue I'm glad to see that someone on another thread will be keeping an eye on what is actually in use in the bags rather than what is reputed to be in the bags.

I know Padraig Harrington was reported to be using one about 7 or 8 years ago and someone enquired from Ping about the availability of them and they were told that it was no problem getting them as the moulds were kept in the foundry. On a seperate issue I'm glad to see that someone on another thread will be keeping an eye on what is actually in use in the bags rather than what is reputed to be in the bags.

I don't know where it is but my father and I did a whole expose on this stuff, and almost DQ Mr. Hoffman

I read some where that only these Ping wedges built prior to 1990+/- were the only ones not effected by this new rule. This same wedge built today would not be legal in sanctioned play. JB even concurred.

I read some where that only these Ping wedges built prior to 1990+/- were the only ones not effected by this new rule. This same wedge built today would not be legal in sanctioned play. JB even concurred.

Yes. That is the rule. Is anyone disputing that?

Yes. That is the rule. Is anyone disputing that?

It looks like Provisional was just clarifying the rule

It looks like Provisional was just clarifying the rule

Yes, I know that. I didn't mean to sound like an ass, I seriously was wondering if someone read what someone else posted and interpreted it in another way.

On second thought, nevermind. :act-up:

I know Padraig Harrington was reported to be using one about 7 or 8 years ago and someone enquired from Ping about the availability of them and they were told that it was no problem getting them as the moulds were kept in the foundry.

It doesn't matter if they have the molds or not. The only clubs grandfathered in are the ones which existed at the time of the Ping lawsuit. They cannot be made now and used on Tour.

As far as im concerned if the "rules" say that it is allowed then it is not cheating!!! If anyone can go out and use the same club the go and get one instead of complaining about it.

I saw a little on some rumblings coming from players about Phil.

This is predictable.

This is also getting old already and it's January!

I'm not even a Phil fan, but leave him and all others alone on this.

It seems some just aren't happy unless they're bi*ching about something.

What I find funny about McCarron and Mediate calling Phil out is they both use those insanely long putters that many have said also violate the "spirit of the game".

What I find funny about McCarron and Mediate calling Phil out is they both use those insanely long putters that many have said also violate the "spirit of the game".

Good point.

I was listening to the talking heads talking poorly about PM and how he is defiling the spirit of the game. They collectively agreed that all the PGA players should all be on the same page and using the same equipment to keep the playing field fair, and level. So with that in mind I suppose I am to conclude that there is no difference (technology/playability) in the various brands of equipment being used by the various players.

Right after that I watched him drive a par 4 green which I thought was pretty cool to see some one do. :clapp:

Good point DefCon1 about the long handle putters. :thumb:

+1 Well said and very appropriate. :clapp:

Thank you gents. :)

ps: 45 minutes later: I just heard that Brandel Chamblee made the same point. I didn't steal his idea. :)

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but playing the ping wedges is pretty much playing a loophole isn't it?

Re: Phil mickelson

derelict said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but playing the ping wedges is pretty much playing a loophole isn't it?

if playing a 20+ year old club that is deemed legal by the rules committee is considered a loophole....then yes.

Back