Status
Not open for further replies.

907golfer12

Makin a comeback!
Reaction score
Handicap
Is anyone else here in to photography? I just got into it, and am mostly an action photographer. Although I do not have a good camera yet, but that is my birthday/christmas present.

See "Today in Texas" in the random/off topic category. :act-up:

Its funny that this whole thing came up. As many on this board know, I am quite interested in making that switch to DSLR. Well, last night I got all the emails back with the info that I needed. We will now be having a camera shoot-off coming up in early December here. We have Nikon, Kodak, Canon, Olympus, and Sony all supplying cameras for this and we will see which one is better for golf.

Its funny that this whole thing came up. As many on this board know, I am quite interested in making that switch to DSLR. Well, last night I got all the emails back with the info that I needed. We will now be having a camera shoot-off coming up in early December here. We have Nikon, Kodak, Canon, Olympus, and Sony all supplying cameras for this and we will see which one is better for golf.

Let me know, because I'm looking for a camera that is good for action shots

whatever camera you choose, make SURE it can shoot in .raw format.

jpeg's are crap, relatively speaking. .raw files can be manipulated so much more than a jpeg with apps such as PhotoShop, etc. i don't know about Vista but XP can not read .raw files until you install the proper files that will come with your camera.

whatever camera you choose, make SURE it can shoot in .raw format.

jpeg's are crap, relatively speaking. .raw files can be manipulated so much more than a jpeg with apps such as PhotoShop, etc. i don't know about Vista but XP can not read .raw files until you install the proper files that will come with your camera.

Is .raw compatible with Mac? I have a Mac laptop, and a Mac desktop.

i don't think so. iPhoto won't work without a RAW converter as well.

Dang, well that is out of the picture (no pun intended)

Unless .raw works with Photoshop on any computer, because photoshop is kind of guaranteed for me with the new camera

Unless .raw works with Photoshop on any computer, because photoshop is kind of guaranteed for me with the new camera

It shouldn't matter if you're on a Mac or a PC. It's the software you use to open and edit the raw file(s) that's important. Photoshop on a Mac should be more then enough.

It shouldn't matter if you're on a Mac or a PC. It's the software you use to open and edit the raw file(s) that's important. Photoshop on a Mac should be more then enough.

Okay cool, thanks for the help

I have a good camera and have no idea how to use it... kind of a stupid purchase on my end

Nikon D80

anyone want to give me tips shoot me some pointers

I like photography. Mostly it's my 3 year-old son, a ball game of some kind or vacation pics (nothing really "artsy"). I have a Canon 30D with a couple of L lenses. Last year, we bought two Alien Bees studio lights for our basement and that's where we shoot all the portraits of our little man.

http://www.laymon-family.com/gallery2/main.php

I like photography. Mostly it's my 3 year-old son, a ball game of some kind or vacation pics (nothing really "artsy"). I have a Canon 30D with a couple of L lenses. Last year, we bought two Alien Bees studio lights for our basement and that's where we shoot all the portraits of our little man.

http://www.laymon-family.com/gallery2/main.php

You've got some really lovely photo's of your little boy, he's very cute!

I just did a software update for my iMac and there was an update for "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility"

This update extends RAW file compatibility for Aperture 2 and iPhoto ’08 for the following cameras:
* Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/Kiss Digital F/1000D
* Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n
* Nikon D700
* Olympus EVOLT E-420
* Olympus EVOLT E-520
* Olympus SP-570
* Samsung GX-10
* Samsung GX-20
* Sony DSLR-A300
* Sony DSC-R1

I just posted some photographs in the course review section... I think they came out pretty well considering I was shooting on the fly

Stopped by Best Buy the other day, they have a Cannon D-SLR for like $600 and a Nikon (I think) D-SLR for like $500. I'm going to get one of those. Just not sure which one yet, I have to go back and talk to some of the camera "experts" there.

There are a lot of Canons and a lot of Nikons. Many factors are different.

it's really all about lenses... I can't afford a lense upgrade. most of the nice nikon lenses cost more than my camera, which I got with a 18-135mm lense for roughly a grand

Stopped by Best Buy the other day, they have a Cannon D-SLR for like $600 and a Nikon (I think) D-SLR for like $500. I'm going to get one of those. Just not sure which one yet, I have to go back and talk to some of the camera "experts" there.

I don't know if you have any camera stores where you are (i.e. Ritz or Wolfe) but you would probably be better served talking to them about DSLR's than the "experts" at a big box store like Best Buy. I'm not saying that you have to buy a camera from a specialty store, but for doing the research on features and ease of use, it seems like they have more experience. IMHO.

My experience with big box retailers on camera buying:

I was helping my mother-in-law buy a camera for an upcoming vacation. She had a basic idea of what she wanted, but asked me to go with her since I am sufficiently versed in cameras.

One of the salesmen comes up and asks if we need help. I tell him no but he continues to hover around. I pick up a camera to show my MIL. It was a Canon that uses CF memory cards. The lackey steps up and suggests we look at a camera that takes a different kind of memory because CF is slow. He then proceeds to tell me that CF is slower so you have to hold the camera still on the picture for a few seconds so the camera can record the shot (WTF?!). This is their camera "expert".

My wife could see I was about to lose my mind so she side-tracked me onto other things.

My suggestion to anyone that is buying a camera is at least talk to your local camera shop to get good/correct information about features, usage, etc. Then if you want a better deal somewhere else, you can just walk in and ask for that exact item and walk out without having to deal with uneducated drivel.

Ritz Camera is a great place with many knowledgeable people

+1 on ritz... I only purchased my camera from best buy because my mother had some serious rewards points

I literally walked in, said... I'm all set, give me that on in the case

Good Thread - Web Albums

Good Thread - Web Albums

Gang: Good Thread. Hobby 30 years ago with good 35mm Pentax.
Family tried 1st generation Digital , battery drain , early pc storage.
2nd Generation -Kodak point & shoot (1MB) does good , outside sun-handy.
State of art now , super exotic, some BIG format to post web sites, etc (8mb), free web albums good for storage & re-sizing like a Webshots, photobucket, Private album ,like family shots, not viewed by public,
easy to store / retreive hobbies in ALBUMS. 500 pixel size good here for
thread posting. . Will add Classic Speedboat collection to other thread.

I have a good camera and have no idea how to use it... kind of a stupid purchase on my end

Nikon D80

anyone want to give me tips shoot me some pointers

If you're new to the DSLR experience, read the book, "Understanding Exposure". I have read my copy multiple times.

I currently shoot with a Canon 40D. My lenses include 17-55 IS 2.8, 35L 1.4, Tamron 18-250. And I thought golf clubs were expensive, try some L glass...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back