PING G Irons Preview

So, I went and got an iron fitting today. I tried 5 or 6 sets of irons, and the G series ended up at the top of the heap, along with the Apex. From a performance standpoint, these were hard to argue with - they just wanted to go straight at the target for me.

I tried these with 4 different shafts suggested by the fitter based on my tempo (AWT 2.0, KBS Tour, Nippon Modus 105, PX 5.5, Recoil 110). Of these, the KBS Tour, Modus 105, and Recoil 110 performed similarly. Spin and launch was highest with the recoil, lowest in the KBS, and the Nippon was right in the middle. After going back and forth with the KBS and Nippon a few times, I was seeing slightly better dispersion, and a bit better speed with the Nippons.

My final #s with a 7 iron (Modus 105 S) - a few real bad swings taken out:

Swing speed: 84.4
Ball Speed: 116.9
Launch: 21.2
Side spin: 189R
Backspin: 6325

I really liked the feel of the recoils, but the upcharge on those is hard to swallow, given that I was seeing similar numbers with the Nippons, which are a smooth feeling shaft in their own right. Funny enough, the dynamic fit I ended matched what PING's site gave me exactly.

The thing that amazed me is how much more consistent I was with the G series than I was with the i25s I've been playing lately - while my swing was gotten more consistent, there's absolutely something to be said for having some help in the bag. The profile is absolutely improved over previous G irons. I'm going to wait to see how my 545s perform with the reshaft, but I'm thinking I'll have a set of these in the bag at some point.

Got a chance to play with these some more. Probably will be ordering these. Great feel and distance

I keep looking at Ping irons as I need an upgrade, but I wish they would make a game improvement model without so much offset.

The G25's were in the bag for a while and I hoped they would be the answer, but just couldn't get past the offset.

I keep looking at Ping irons as I need an upgrade, but I wish they would make a game improvement model without so much offset.

The G25's were in the bag for a while and I hoped they would be the answer, but just couldn't get past the offset.
What's too much offset?

The Srixon 545 would be up your alley, then. Not as forgiving as the G, but a lot of help there with very little offset.

Offset is something that doesn't bother me either way. I'm still intrigued by these just because they're SO easy to hit. Like NoLine said - I'm a big fan of the i's, but given I don't mind a chunky-ish club, why leave forgiveness on the table when I need it?

What's too much offset?

The G has .29" offset in the 4 iron which equates to 7.4MM.

My G25's were bent 2* strong which adds additional offset.

I have had my best success with progressive offset with a max of 4mm.

Some manufacturers also disguise their offset better than others. So regardless of the specs, the offset looks to be less.

Obviously just a visual / mental issue for me that obviously does not apply to many based upon Pings success, popularity, performance and resale value.

No doubt they make great sticks and provide exceptional customer service.

The Srixon 545 would be up your alley, then. Not as forgiving as the G, but a lot of help there with very little offset.

Offset is something that doesn't bother me either way. I'm still intrigued by these just because they're SO easy to hit. Like NoLine said - I'm a big fan of the i's, but given I don't mind a chunky-ish club, why leave forgiveness on the table when I need it?

Thanks for the recommendation. I love the sole design on the Srixon clubs.

Agree about forgiveness, but unfortunately a mental obstacle for me that over time I might overcome. Unfortunately, at my age, that might might not happen as an older phart.

About 90% sure my setup will be the new Ping G irons; Blue dot +1/2" with KBS tour stiff. Was hitting them so well tonight. Just need to finalize the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it!

Probably the funniest part about the whole process was my fitting guy and i used the Mizuno shaft analyzer thing to figure out which shaft to use.. It gave me 3 options and the KBS Tour was the one that felt the best. I would have to say it was pretty darn accurate. Really great launch and distance from the combo.

For some reason the big notch in the hosel has always been a turn off for me when it comes to ping irons.

Even though it's hidden at address?

The notch is hidden yes but the hosel gets slimmer right at the neck, just a visual thing that doesnt sit well to me. I am not saying its rational :alien:

About 90% sure my setup will be the new Ping G irons; Blue dot +1/2" with KBS tour stiff. Was hitting them so well tonight. Just need to finalize the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly where I am. My only problem is I'm still learning/adjusting my swing and literally 2 hours after my Ping fitting I took a lesson and my instructor started off by saying, "Now that I've got most of your basics sorted it's time to re-build your swing!". By the end of the lesson I was so completely different (my estimation) I'm going to get checked again before I order... Or local heated range is having 10 manufacturers represented all day on the 6th. At the end of the day I hope to have my order ready

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ordered yesterday. 1/4" over, 2 wraps under standard grips, AWT in R, 5i-UW. Am in Alberta so only got to hit them indoors but they were super forgiving, as one would expect of a G series Ping. Real nice to look down on, imho no 'shovel' attributes at all - not oversized, reasonable topline, no tech in rear showing. 2-3 weeks to having in hand, but then another 3-4 weeks until the ranges open here :sadface: Traded in my i20's, I can use the extra forgiveness and distance of the G.

nice, looking forward to hearing about your experience with them when they arrive.

Ordered yesterday. 1/4" over, 2 wraps under standard grips, AWT in R, 5i-UW. Am in Alberta so only got to hit them indoors but they were super forgiving, as one would expect of a G series Ping. Real nice to look down on, imho no 'shovel' attributes at all - not oversized, reasonable topline, no tech in rear showing. 2-3 weeks to having in hand, but then another 3-4 weeks until the ranges open here :sadface: Traded in my i20's, I can use the extra forgiveness and distance of the G.

Good for you and hit them well.

Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy them. I should have mine in a couple of weeks...5-PW,UW,SW, Red Dot, Standard L/L/L..AWT R flex, GP Pro Wrap grips in Blue...

Had a chance to hit the G today and have some mixed feelings about it. For some really odd reason I was only able to carry a 7 iron 145. I am not a huge hitter, usually a 7 iron is about 155 to 160 carry. Shortly after this, I hit the S55 carry 160 to 165 every shot with better dispersion. Maybe its shaft and lie angle (S55 was black) but I am now wondering about my next set. Thought it would be the G series. I do really like the look and it felt good, just short.

Back