PING G Irons Preview

Hi all. First post, but I've been getting lots of good information on this forum. I pulled the trigger on a set of Gs today. I have a milestone birthday coming up, and this is the third milestone for which my wife has given me a set of irons as a birthday present. She told me last weekend, in advance of a big winter sale at a good local golf center, so I started to do some research to replace a ten year old stiff-shafted 2x6 set from Tour Edge. If I play ten times in a summer, it's a good year, but I have been playing more of late. I've also been playing in an indoor golf league, and for the few downsides of hitting off a mat for weeks at a time, the simulator feedback has helped me finally move towards putting together a more repeatable swing that is inching closer to in-to-out.

I asked questions at the golf center and did more research. I went there last night after work and tried nine different irons, including the Wilson C200, TM RSi 1 and M2, Cally XR/OS, Mizuno JPX-EZ, the GMax and the Cobra King F6. They would not allow anyone to hit the G until today. It really helped that I had my 7-iron with me as a reference. Hitting white range balls in 20 degree weather on a snow-covered driving range into a light grey, late afternoon sky would not be considered optimal conditions, but the GMax and F6 emerged as my favorites, with the Callaways and Mizunos a little behind them, and then a big dropoff. So off I went to Dick's in search of more information in a warmer environment. There, I eliminated the Callaways and Mizunos. I found the GMax to be more consistent than the F6 in terms of both ball flight and the pattern on the impact tape. With the GMax, about 75% of my hits were center-ish, with the rest near the toe. The GMax was looking like the favorite, but I wanted to do more trials.

Today was still cold, but bright and clear. That made it much easier to track the balls at the golf center, and the guy I was working with offered to bring out a launch monitor when I was telling him about my experiences on a simulator. With the G available, I added it to the mix. It had the heavier feel and reduced offset more like that of the Cobras, but a head design and feel more like the GMax. We tracked about a dozen balls with each club, all hit into a brisk wind, which knocked down the yardages significantly. The launch angles and spin of all three clubs were nearly identical, but the Gs had the lowest spin and about 5% more carry than the GMax, and about 4% more than the Cobra. We both agreed I looked most comfortable with the G, so I placed the order today. I'm quite happy - for now - with my driver and 15.5 and 18 degree Mashies, so I added a Ping G 4 hybrid to my buy to see how well that will bridge the gap between the hybrids and my 5 iron. It was love at first hit - easy to hit and the ball jumps nicely off the clubface in a rather low trajectory - something I almost never see on my good hits. At the other end of my bag, I'm going to wait to see what I need to add to my wedge collection to upgrade my 20 year old 51 and 56 wedges. So here is what I got:

Ping G 4 hybrid (22 degrees), stock shaft, regular flex, +1/2"
5-UW, stock steel shaft, regular flex, +1/2", 3 degrees upright

All with Ping I-D8 midsize gold grips.

The way I use a gap wedge, I think it makes the most sense to have it match the 5-PW.

The Gs jumped out from the other two once I hit them, but I honestly think any of the three could have worked well for me.

Can't wait for them to arrive, and already working on slowing my tempo, which is already helping my ball striking. One thing at a time.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.

You should introduce yourself in the "Check In Desk". Also, sure to share your thoughts once you have played with them a while. Cheers!

Got mine...wehay!!!!
2c34b519068efa5c1df9bb8cb6d7411b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi all. First post, but I've been getting lots of good information on this forum. I pulled the trigger on a set of Gs today. I have a milestone birthday coming up, and this is the third milestone for which my wife has given me a set of irons as a birthday present. She told me last weekend, in advance of a big winter sale at a good local golf center, so I started to do some research to replace a ten year old stiff-shafted 2x6 set from Tour Edge. If I play ten times in a summer, it's a good year, but I have been playing more of late. I've also been playing in an indoor golf league, and for the few downsides of hitting off a mat for weeks at a time, the simulator feedback has helped me finally move towards putting together a more repeatable swing that is inching closer to in-to-out.

I asked questions at the golf center and did more research. I went there last night after work and tried nine different irons, including the Wilson C200, TM RSi 1 and M2, Cally XR/OS, Mizuno JPX-EZ, the GMax and the Cobra King F6. They would not allow anyone to hit the G until today. It really helped that I had my 7-iron with me as a reference. Hitting white range balls in 20 degree weather on a snow-covered driving range into a light grey, late afternoon sky would not be considered optimal conditions, but the GMax and F6 emerged as my favorites, with the Callaways and Mizunos a little behind them, and then a big dropoff. So off I went to Dick's in search of more information in a warmer environment. There, I eliminated the Callaways and Mizunos. I found the GMax to be more consistent than the F6 in terms of both ball flight and the pattern on the impact tape. With the GMax, about 75% of my hits were center-ish, with the rest near the toe. The GMax was looking like the favorite, but I wanted to do more trials.

Today was still cold, but bright and clear. That made it much easier to track the balls at the golf center, and the guy I was working with offered to bring out a launch monitor when I was telling him about my experiences on a simulator. With the G available, I added it to the mix. It had the heavier feel and reduced offset more like that of the Cobras, but a head design and feel more like the GMax. We tracked about a dozen balls with each club, all hit into a brisk wind, which knocked down the yardages significantly. The launch angles and spin of all three clubs were nearly identical, but the Gs had the lowest spin and about 5% more carry than the GMax, and about 4% more than the Cobra. We both agreed I looked most comfortable with the G, so I placed the order today. I'm quite happy - for now - with my driver and 15.5 and 18 degree Mashies, so I added a Ping G 4 hybrid to my buy to see how well that will bridge the gap between the hybrids and my 5 iron. It was love at first hit - easy to hit and the ball jumps nicely off the clubface in a rather low trajectory - something I almost never see on my good hits. At the other end of my bag, I'm going to wait to see what I need to add to my wedge collection to upgrade my 20 year old 51 and 56 wedges. So here is what I got:

The way I use a gap wedge, I think it makes the most sense to have it match the 5-PW.

The Gs jumped out from the other two once I hit them, but I honestly think any of the three could have worked well for me.

Can't wait for them to arrive, and already working on slowing my tempo, which is already helping my ball striking. One thing at a time.

Welcome, and thanks for sharing. Enjoy the clubs!

I know a lot of folks have compared them to the i's in terms of looks, but to me there's a lot of optical illusions and really nice visual tweaks that make them look a whole lot nicer. To me, these are pure G series from a performance standpoint. But more of that "progressive" G series we saw in the G25 than something like the G20.

Interesting thoughts on the G line. I didn't take the time to hit these yesterday, although I have hit the G30 and GMax, neither of which appealed to me as far as looks & feel. I did like the G25 line, though.

I think it's worth noting in here also that just as blue dot is the new OTR standard for the iE1, yellow dot is the new standard here OTR.

Good for me when it comes to reviewing as that fits, but also a pretty savvy move by ping since its based on all of the fitting data.

I think it's worth noting in here also that just as blue dot is the new OTR standard for the iE1, yellow dot is the new standard here OTR.

Good for me when it comes to reviewing as that fits, but also a pretty savvy move by ping since its based on all of the fitting data.

I don't know why, but that still bugs me.

I don't know why, but that still bugs me.
Its definitely different, but at least they didn't just shift the colors. You have to figure, most golfers are steep and I'm sure they see that in their fitting data, and that's why they end up fitting way way way more yellow dot in the gseries than anything else.

Def strange though, just like it was with the I being blue.

Welcome to THP. I bought my G30's this time last year and haven't regretted it a day since.
I too hit balls into a cold wind at Northway 8 Golf. Can't say enough about their service, especially in fitting Pings.
Enjoy the clubs and enjoy THP.

Welcome to THP. I bought my G30's this time last year and haven't regretted it a day since.
I too hit balls into a cold wind at Northway 8 Golf. Can't say enough about their service, especially in fitting Pings.
Enjoy the clubs and enjoy THP.

Northway 8 - I agree it's the place to go. You get what you pay for and then some with those guys!

Will be picking these up tomorrow morning from the post office. Should get pics and a formal review thread up tomorrow evening after I get back from my lesson.

Will be picking these up tomorrow morning from the post office. Should get pics and a formal review thread up tomorrow evening after I get back from my lesson.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on these vs the previous generations. I think they're a great set, but this is a line That always comes up towards the top of any fitting I do.

Wait. USPS wasn't willing to stay open so you could have these in hand for pics tonight? Clearly they don't understand THPers have different "needs". Iron ponders require input. Stat.

Wait. USPS wasn't willing to stay open so you could have these in hand for pics tonight? Clearly they don't understand THPers have different "needs". Iron ponders require input. Stat.

Haha, it'll be worth the wait. Plus, we will have the best in hand pictures ANYWHERE, bank on it.

These hit the fitting cart at the local GS and I got about 10 swings with the 7 iron. It definitely hides its game improvement shape well and was pretty much point and shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These hit the fitting cart at the local GS and I got about 10 swings with the 7 iron. It definitely hides its game improvement shape well and was pretty much point and shoot.

That's what I'm hoping. We'll see next Friday if it holds true.

That's what I'm hoping. We'll see next Friday if it holds true.

You're going to like them. What the ETA for yours?

Just got mine today. Playing Sunday and Monday. Should have a good feel for them. Gotta love San Diego weather. High 80s all weekend ����⛳

Just got mine today. Playing Sunday and Monday. Should have a good feel for them. Gotta love San Diego weather. High 80s all weekend ??⛳
Definitely check back in with your initial impressions.

Just looking at the back of these irons with the core "eye", it would seem likely in order to get a good hit or feel one must hit the center of the face which corresponds to the center of the eye. So a slightly off center hits would produce a shot with decreased distance and forgiveness....or am I missing something? If that's the case, one must hit these irons very accurately.

Just looking at the back of these irons with the core "eye", it would seem likely in order to get a good hit or feel one must hit the center of the face which corresponds to the center of the eye. So a slightly off center hits would produce a shot with decreased distance and forgiveness....or am I missing something? If that's the case, one must hit these irons very accurately.

These were among the most consistent irons I tried in my fitting in terms of distance consistency. Definitely nothing to worry about there.

These were among the most consistent irons I tried in my fitting in terms of distance consistency. Definitely nothing to worry about there.

How would you compare the Ping G irons with your Srixon z545's?

For those looking at the G's don't discount the I's - incredibly playable and forgiving iron especially for those looking a thinner top line and sole.

How would you compare the Ping G irons with your Srixon z545's?

The G's have a larger profile, for sure. Definitely launch a bit higher. A bit longer, but the progressive lengths/lofts are probably the reason there. I would give the forgiveness edge to the G. The 545 is exemplary in that department for an iron with its profile, for sure, but the larger G series profile gives you a bit more there.

Back