Having replaced my Ping G 6-iron with a G700 6-iron a few weeks ago, I have now had a chance to play the club within the flow of several rounds of golf. I have been extremely impressed with the easy distance I get with this club, and that distance is combined with a nice trajectory and excellent accuracy. The sound/feel is a bit crisper and more metallic than my G irons, but the feel is not harsh at all, possibly because I have the Recoil 780 ES shaft in the G700. This club is becoming my go-to iron for medium range approach shots where I might have typically used my 25* hybrid in the past. When struck perfectly, the hybrid goes a little farther than the G700 6-iron, but the G700 is more consistent in direction and solid ball contact than the hybrid. I'm even finding myself using the G700 6-iron when I would normally hit my G 7-iron because the G700 is so easy to hit and I can just take a little off my swing to be sure the ball doesn't come off too hot for the distance I need. I'm now thinking seriously about replacing my 7-iron and possibly other G irons with the G700. This club is that good!

By the way, I have not seen any excessive wear yet, and the size of the G700 is only a tiny bit larger than the G irons. The G700 looks like a larger, more forgiving version of a player's iron - as Beckman said above - and turf interaction is quite good as well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. You touched on two topics that I am particularly interested in hearing more about. The first is how these clubs are wearing, and the other being gaping the G700 irons with your hybrids. Since theses irons offer such good distance greater care is needed when gaping your irons with hybrids, especially when there are no hosel loft adjustments like on the Ping G400 hybrids.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. You touched on two topics that I am particularly interested in hearing more about. The first is how these clubs are wearing, and the other being gaping the G700 irons with your hybrids. Since theses irons offer such good distance greater care is needed when gaping your irons with hybrids, especially when there are no hosel loft adjustments like on the Ping G400 hybrids.

I solved that problem! ;) I just use the G700 irons, no hybrids. Previously I was using the XXIO Prime irons & hybrids which I liked a lot but was looking for more accuracy. Now I just use the G700s, I have all of them.

I've only had them for about 4 games. I played one game with only my G700 irons and a sand wedge, no woods or drivers and scored my typical low 90's on a difficult course.

Today I will be adding my brand new G400 Max to the bag!

I solved that problem! ;) I just use the G700 irons, no hybrids. Previously I was using the XXIO Prime irons & hybrids which I liked a lot but was looking for more accuracy. Now I just use the G700s, I have all of them.

I've only had them for about 4 games. I played one game with only my G700 irons and a sand wedge, no woods or drivers and scored my typical low 90's on a difficult course.

Today I will be adding my brand new G400 Max to the bag!

Good luck with your G400 Max driver for sure. The weather here is finally co-operating and today is the first day I can hit my Max driver outside at the driving range.

That's a very interesting bag that you have for sure - I don't ever recall anyone who did have anyone who didn't have something longer than their regular irons. With respect to my irons, I normally do not carry anything longer 6i, but since last year it's now a 7i. I just hit my hybrids better, more consistantly, and I'm putting that down to lack of good swing speed. If you look at my signature you can see that I'm also a fan of XXIO equipment.

The G700's definitely have my attention along with a few others like the G400's, i200's and P790's. The latter two I believe that I have the game for, but now I'm seriously questioning going to a better players iron and staying with a GI iron. Heck I'm not getting any younger and this game is already tough enough. Getting all of the help I can get certainly wouldn't hurt my game. I would love to do what you did and go 4-PW, UW, SW and eliminate all of my hybrids also. I'll have to keep that thought in mind.

How's the G700 SW with respect to being versatile around the green - you don't mind using it for those delicate around the green chip shots? Also, did you go standard lofts or power spec lofts?

I have used the Ben Hogan wedges for a couple years with the 56 being my around the green choice. Now I am using the G700 SW which is 54 degrees so I need to adjust but I think it will work fine.

I got the standard loft set but was hitting the 4 iron (20 degrees) off the tee so well on tight fairways that I grabbed a 4 power spec too (18.5 degrees)

I can add some thoughts.

Wear - I can snap some pics of mine tonight - Nothing too excessive thus far after 4 rounds and several range sessions. I think the nature of that hydropearl finish is it starts off as a lighter silver matte looking color and then as it wears off will end up looking like a brushed nickel type look. Sort of like how the new CBX wedges wear.

As for Gapping - I usually allocate 170 yards for my Exotics Xrail 26* 5 hybrid
Game Golf shows my G700 6i 161 yds, 7i 151, 8i 140, 9i 130, PW 115, UW 103, CBX 56* 90, So I am showing a nice progression thus far.

Thanks for your comments. With regard to distance gaps, my Titleist hybrids have an adjustable hosel, so I'm playing my 25* hybrid 1* stronger at 24* to give me a bit more of a gap between the G700 and the hybrids.

On a different topic, when does golf season start in your part of Canada? I was up at Cabot Links on Cape Breton Island last July, and I loved the place. Cabot Cliffs was particularly outstanding!

Thanks for your comments. With regard to distance gaps, my Titleist hybrids have an adjustable hosel, so I'm playing my 25* hybrid 1* stronger at 24* to give me a bit more of a gap between the G700 and the hybrids.

On a different topic, when does golf season start in your part of Canada? I was up at Cabot Links on Cape Breton Island last July, and I loved the place. Cabot Cliffs was particularly outstanding!

First of thanks for your response regarding hybrid gapping.

Regarding courses opening here it really does depend on the severity of the winter. Some of the courses here are just starting to open up now and pretty much everyone here should be open sometime during the next two weeks. Yes there are some pretty spatular courses around and well worth consideration if your planing a visit and in the area.

Someone was asking about the wear. Here’s some pics after 4 or 5 rounds and several range trips.
Sure there’s definitely some wear but nothing unexpected from my end.
The 9i wore the most (on the face as pictured) because it rests against my Tank Chipper (just recently added a cover to the Chipper).

a4b6d8097b2c2615e621cf51eb8b9005.jpg

2023d7af4f159c836b0bfc4103237ead.jpg

6ad372daff030ac7f90bf0293a4989d8.jpg

d306d39bf38fb52b71443e4404313a7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the wear photos. A question to anyone... how does this wear compare to finishes on the iBlades or the i200s?

Saw these in person for the first time today.

They're not the profile I would typically play or be drawn to but they sure looked good on the rack.

I can imagine a couple of my regular playing partners putting these into the bag.

I've been playing V1 Raptures 3-PW for about the last 8-9 years, so clunky doesn't bother me.
These look great, my preffered look in the back is a MB, but I certainly don't have the game for those, so clubs that look like P790/G700 interest me, 790's are out for obvious reasons, so I'm keeping an open mind on these.
I much prefer the look of these to all the badgy stuff out there from ALL the manufacturers today....
I never even liked Ping clubs before I hit them, always considered them heinous, especially the crazy offset/ hosel...
How things change!

Thanks Guys

Last week was pretty much ready to give up on my G700 6 and 7 irons. Kept hitting them fat or losing them right (push to a push fade).
Went to the range a few days in a row and seemed to work out the kinks.

I now have 16 rds on my 700's. I was previous gaming the 588 Altitudes. The 6,7,8 irons in the g700's are 1* stronger than the 588's. The 9,PW, GW are the same lofts. Shaft lengths are the same (both were shortened to my specs). So far here is my avg distance with each according to Game Golf.

6i G700 - 165
6i 588 - 155

7i G700 - 152
7i 588 - 146

8i G700 - 148
8i Tude - 132

9i G700 - 133
9i 588 - 126

PW G700 - 122
PW 588 - 123

GW G700 - 105
GW 588 - 104

I think what I enjoy most is the added distance in the 7,8,9 irons.
For example with my old set if I had a 140 yd shot I would hit my 7i.
Now I can hit a club that is 1/2" shorter (G700 8i) and still covers the yardage I need. Being I play shortened clubs anytime I can hit the ball further with a shorter club is a great asset to have.

The sound and feel takes some time to get used to. I wouldn't call it harsh or anything but they definitely have that louder click type sound similar to the G400, TM M2, Cally Steelhead irons.
Sometimes I feel like I flat out missed a shot and it feels terrible but the ball can end up on the green or just off. Guess that is the tech making the result better than it should be.

Something's up with the 8 iron data. 133 to 148 to 152 has pretty uneven gaps. Is the loft off?

Dave

Something's up with the 8 iron data. 133 to 148 to 152 has pretty uneven gaps. Is the loft off?

Dave

Good call out.
Game Golf can get a little screwy with their "typical" distance calculation if you don't have a large data set to pull from.
I went back and calculated the average distance of all my 8i shots so far and it came out to 142 which is what I allocate for that club.

I allocate 162 6i, 152 7i, 142 8i, 132 9i, 122 PW, 105 UW.
When I gamed the Altitude irons I allocated 155 6i, 145 7i, 135 8i, 125 9i, 115 PW, 100 DW

By the way, nice bag setup. I recently tried the G25 hybrids/PWR 80 shafts hoping to make them work but they were not for me. Switched back to my Exotics.

anyone else have these in play?

Now in play but I've had several ponder moments. The i500's are also very intriguing but I need more info and full specs from Ping.

Still gaming mine. Decided to remove the frost coating for a more raw look.

Before
0a878a0c9881a676cf84db2b0eeaf0ba.jpg

c09525e74a793f43f80e209280bcfde3.jpg

After
66d89966cfc8c781c5d365ce05a317c6.jpg

99d27bffec4d92e51ba1b89ced4148a5.jpg

Great improvement - thanks for sharing.

Still gaming mine. Decided to remove the frost coating for a more raw look.

Before
0a878a0c9881a676cf84db2b0eeaf0ba.jpg

c09525e74a793f43f80e209280bcfde3.jpg

After
66d89966cfc8c781c5d365ce05a317c6.jpg

99d27bffec4d92e51ba1b89ced4148a5.jpg

How did you get them to look like that?

How did you get them to look like that?

Barkeepers Friend liquid on a toothbrush. Coat the head with toothbrush then used an M3/Scotchbrite pad (green) to rub the head. Honestly I don’t think the Barkeepers friend does anything. The pad is what removes it.

I’ve seen pics online using the same process and other’s have cleaned up better than mine. The frosted finish came off the soles very easily but I can still see some of the frosted finish on the back cavity part. Just won’t budge. May try a more abrasive pad.

They look good in the bag !!
d67a046f89750a83a0b6a6b5c32b9043.jpg

They look good in the bag !!
d67a046f89750a83a0b6a6b5c32b9043.jpg

That's interesting and helpful - thank you!. I would probably do the same once mine are scuffed up. I don't mind the sole and face getting scratched, but it bothers me when the hosels get all scratched up. I'll use iron covers when they are in the car and at the range - that will help. I had the original Callaway Apex and took great care of them, and they looked great after two years, and I was able to get decent money for them when I sold them.

This whole thing surprises me. I've played G2, G5, G10, G15, and G20...my G10 (they had the orange cavity and shaft) were bulletproof, I banged on them for two years, played over 150 rounds with them and range 2+ times a week, and that gunmetal finish couldn't be touched - wish they had done that here.

Ping claims the Hydropearl finish repels water, which in wet conditions supposedly improves spin as well as turf interaction.
The original Hydropearl was used for i5,i200, G400, and G700 models.
The new i210 and i500 models have the Hydropearl 2.0 finish, which is a bit more shiny than the original, and is also supposed to be more resistant to scratching.

Has anyone compared these to the I 500
I have hit a 7 iron G700 and loved the power and forgiveness and height they are big footprint and go straight which is good but hard to work a lot and not sleek like I 500 .
Interested in distance trajectory difference between two an d their level of forgiveness

Has anyone compared these to the I 500
I have hit a 7 iron G700 and loved the power and forgiveness and height they are big footprint and go straight which is good but hard to work a lot and not sleek like I 500 .
Interested in distance trajectory difference between two an d their level of forgiveness

I was wondering the same thing. I currently play the Callaway Apex CF 16 and like the smaller head size - just wondering if the larger head size on the G700 would be a turn-off and if the i500 might be more comparable to the CF 16?

Back