Many of the YT reviews imply that the G-Max irons are the closest match to the G700's. Any G-Max users here ever tried the G700 irons - what are your thoughts?

I've tried 7-irons in the G-Max and G700, but not at the same time. I briefly considered the G-Max when I bought my Ping G irons a while back, but I thought the G-Max was too clunky in the shorter irons to consider buying them. I was able to try them on real turf and thought the very large sole caused problems with turf interaction at times. In my recent demo with the G700, I found the sole design and offset to be quite similar to my G irons, although the G700 is just slightly longer heel to toe. The G700 seemed more forgiving than the G or the G-Max and even easier to hit. The overall look of the G700 is great for such a forgiving iron, and I ordered a 6-iron with Recoil 780 ES shaft to use as my longest iron in combination with my existing G irons.

I've tried 7-irons in the G-Max and G700, but not at the same time. I briefly considered the G-Max when I bought my Ping G irons a while back, but I thought the G-Max was too clunky in the shorter irons to consider buying them. I was able to try them on real turf and thought the very large sole caused problems with turf interaction at times. In my recent demo with the G700, I found the sole design and offset to be quite similar to my G irons, although the G700 is just slightly longer heel to toe. The G700 seemed more forgiving than the G or the G-Max and even easier to hit. The overall look of the G700 is great for such a forgiving iron, and I ordered a 6-iron with Recoil 780 ES shaft to use as my longest iron in combination with my existing G irons.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I previously gamed the G-Max irons when I returned to the game after a 10+ year absence. Interestingly my biggest gripe was the turf interaction also.

The G700's definitely have some appeal, but at this time I can not rule out the G400's or i200's.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I previously gamed the G-Max irons when I returned to the game after a 10+ year absence. Interestingly my biggest gripe was the turf interaction also.

The G700's definitely have some appeal, but at this time I can not rule out the G400's or i200's.

If you're currently playing the Apex irons listed in your signature - and hitting them pretty well - you should definitely look at the i200 or G400 as well as the G700. I almost bought the Apex 2 years ago, but I decided I really needed the extra forgiveness I get with the G irons. If you aren't playing any irons longer than a 7-iron, you have lots of options to choose from without running into problems with hard-to-hit long irons.

He wasn't saying the faces did. He was talking about the backs and hozels. He recommended iron head covers which I did buy.
Mine are marking up heavily after one round. It could very well be that this is normal. I will get with Ping later and figure out what is going on with the finish. The performance of the club is superb!

Mine are marking up heavily after one round. It could very well be that this is normal. I will get with Ping later and figure out what is going on with the finish. The performance of the club is superb!

that's crappy. I seem to remember they had some finish issues with some other i series irons. Top of my head I can't remember if they were the i20's or i25's, but I think they were the i20

Saw these in person today and was not impressed. I thought they would look similar to the P790's but they are way chunkier on the bottom. The topline is nice and clean tho.

Saw these in person today and was not impressed. I thought they would look similar to the P790's but they are way chunkier on the bottom. The topline is nice and clean tho.

Different category of irons.
P790 more player-ish to GI.
G700 are more GI to SGI.
Ping has something in the works that will be more similar to the P790 profile. Rumored to be called G500

Not even close to a good comparison. The forgiveness and power of this club is far past the P790.

Not even close to a good comparison. The forgiveness and power of this club is far past the P790.

Disagree on “power and forgiveness”

Had a chance to borrow the G700 7i Monday and take it to the course.

Can't say enough about the performance. I normally game the 588 Altitudes so the topline is thinner and the back/cavity is not visible on the G700 at address.
The lofts are a bit stronger than some irons on the market however, flight was very high, so no issues stopping shots with surlyn balls. Flight was typically straight with minimal side to side mvt.
Forgiveness/Distance Retention seemed off the charts good. Actually noticed no drop-off there. I stopped at a few holes and would hit 3 test balls and all would end up a yard or two from each other distance wise. I also did not notice any crazy fliers on mishits like the Crossfield review mentioned.

I game 588 Altitude irons so that is what I was comparing them too.
The Altitude 7i is 31* and mine measures 37" (which is shortened). The G700 specs at 37" and I had them install the -1/2" shaft, so the Ping was actually a shorter club. The loft is 29.5* so I expected it to go longer but the G700 7i was nearing if not equaling 6i distance for me. Definitely has an extra gear.

Also I have seen reports (Sheils reviews) and others with them in the bag already that have noticed bad wear marks. I had this club in the bag with all my other clubs for a round, in and out of the trunk, so definitely the opportunity to pick up some chatter and other than normal ball marks on the face, the sole looked great after I cleaned it and no other marks noticed on the back or hosel area.

Going in for a fitting Tues and these will be in the mix for sure.

Ping G700 Irons

Went in for my for my fitting yesterday.

Results (averages) of my 7i shots on Trackman
f54fb003b7d98fe6b10ebd14fbd1ffa6.jpg

Ended up ordering the G700 Modus 105R 6-UW. I will use the 6-PW for now and test the UW against my CBX 50*.
The only other iron I tried was the Cobra F8. It was pretty good, but I had some misses that went pretty far to the left so we ruled it out early on.
I wished I had more time to try the Modus in the G400 and i200 but we were already pushing the 90 min mark and I was getting pretty tired and the fitter had another fitting scheduled after me.

I will say though that my 588 Altitude hung in there. The fitter said Trackman has an optimizer and the Altitude met 5 out of their 6 attributes as in the optimal range.
The only thing it mentioned was it thought I should have more spin. I told the fitter I have no issues with stopping the Tudes on the green at the current spin rate because of a high decent angle. The main thing we focused on was trying to mitigate my miss left (sometimes a pull, sometimes a snap hook). I believe some of that was mitigated by going to a slightly flatter lie.
I was at 63* with the Altitude and we ended up at 62* with the Pings.

Last edited:

Ended up ordering the G700 Modus 105R 6-UW. I will use the 6-PW for now and test the UW against my CBX 50*.
The only other iron I tried was the Cobra F8. It was pretty good, but I had some misses that went pretty far to the left so we ruled it out early on.
I wished I had more time to try the Modus in the G400 and i200 but we were already pushing the 90 min mark and I was getting pretty tired and the fitter had another fitting scheduled after me.

I will say though that my 588 Altitude hung in there. The fitter said Trackman has an optimizer and the Altitude met 5 out of their 6 attributes as in the optimal range.
The only thing it mentioned was it thought I should have more spin. I told the fitter I have no issues with stopping the Tudes on the green at the current spin rate because of a high decent angle. The main thing we focused on was trying to mitigate my miss left (sometimes a pull, sometimes a snap hook). I believe some of that was mitigated by going to a slightly flatter lie.

Congrats on the new irons, based off your posts you went through the fitting process in great detail.

Dave

Congrats on the new irons, based off your posts you went through the fitting process in great detail.

Dave

Dave, thanks. I am definitely excited to get them in.

I felt like I put alot of time and effort in before making the decision. When it came time for the fitting I knew the Ping irons would work as I had a chance to hit the Ping G on the course as well as the G700. Both worked as well if not better than my gamer irons (Altitudes).
Honestly my Altitude irons were performing just fine but I was never fit for them as I bought them years after they came out. So I always wondered if I was missing out by not being fit.

Mainly I told the fitter that my miss was left (pull or pull hook) and so we focused alot on that. The Pings were pretty much staying on the center line or slightly right. I can live with a 5-10 yd push as my miss, but a 30-40 yd pull hook is tough to play.
I think the combo of the heavier shaft, flatter lie got me to where I needed to be.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to hearing more from you once you've had a chance to acquaint yourself with your new clubs.

I went to a Ping demo day Saturday to hit the i200 in graphite stiff Red(flat). Of course the Ping guy after some swings said try this, next thing I know I'm SMOKING the Ping G700 7 iron in graphite (Alta shaft) regular blue dot.

Now I'm all messed up, LOL. It was freezing out, on mats, and no launch monitor. I think I should go get a real Ping iron fitting. I have never swung an iron like this before but it's got me thinking I need help. SMOKED it.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to hearing more from you once you've had a chance to acquaint yourself with your new clubs.

Only had a chance to play once so far since getting them.
Ended up shooting my personal best on this course (79) which was the first time ever in the 70's here, so I can't complain.
For having a totally retooled bag I was impressed with my play. I had the new irons, new hybrids and a new Driver shaft in the bag.

It was a warmer but very windy day and the headwinds made it play longer so it was more of a driver/hybrid day. So it wasn't the best day to test new clubs or accuracy or distance for that matter.
But anyway my results by G700 club were as follows:
6i - 0/2 GIR - Hit it 3 times, Once short (bad strike), once long (wind caught it and it bounced off the back) and once on a layup shot that went my intended distance of 160.
7i - Didn't hit it
8i - 1/1 GIR to about 12' and made the birdie putt
9i - 1/1 GIR - to about 5' and made the birdie putt
PW- 2/3 GIR
UW - Didn't hit it
So GIRs were 4/7 (57%); My normal avg is 39%.
So all and all I was definitely happy for my first time out with them accuracy wise.

As for distance, my yardages held up to the fitting. Given the 7i at the fitting was 150 I allocated 150 for the 7i and then 10 yd gaps for the other clubs.
What really surprised me was the PW. I thought given these were hollow body I might see some flyers in the wedges but not so.
I had 120 yds over the water to a narrow green. Short and you are in the drink and long and you are down out of play. I hit the PW and stuck it about 15'.

As for the finish, I will say, they do have some markings, but nothing excessive. The worst is the 9i, because it lays against my Tank chipper. So I bought a cover for the chipper. I think it's simply how that hydropearl finish wears. I have read that the G400 iron finish is the same way and balances out after about 3 months of use when that finish sort of dulls over time.

Only had a chance to play once so far since getting them.
Ended up shooting my personal best on this course (79) which was the first time ever in the 70's here, so I can't complain.
For having a totally retooled bag I was impressed with my play. I had the new irons, new hybrids and a new Driver shaft in the bag.

It was a warmer but very windy day and the headwinds made it play longer so it was more of a driver/hybrid day. So it wasn't the best day to test new clubs or accuracy or distance for that matter.
But anyway my results by G700 club were as follows:
6i - 0/2 GIR - Hit it 3 times, Once short (bad strike), once long (wind caught it and it bounced off the back) and once on a layup shot that went my intended distance of 160.
7i - Didn't hit it
8i - 1/1 GIR to about 12' and made the birdie putt
9i - 1/1 GIR - to about 5' and made the birdie putt
PW- 2/3 GIR
UW - Didn't hit it
So GIRs were 4/7 (57%); My normal avg is 39%.
So all and all I was definitely happy for my first time out with them accuracy wise.

As for distance, my yardages held up to the fitting. Given the 7i at the fitting was 150 I allocated 150 for the 7i and then 10 yd gaps for the other clubs.
What really surprised me was the PW. I thought given these were hollow body I might see some flyers in the wedges but not so.
I had 120 yds over the water to a narrow green. Short and you are in the drink and long and you are down out of play. I hit the PW and stuck it about 15'.

As for the finish, I will say, they do have some markings, but nothing excessive. The worst is the 9i, because it lays against my Tank chipper. So I bought a cover for the chipper. I think it's simply how that hydropearl finish wears. I have read that the G400 iron finish is the same way and balances out after about 3 months of use when that finish sort of dulls over time.

First of all thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. Considering it was windy, your first time out, and a bag full of unfamiliar sticks, scoring a PB speaks volumes to the quality of play. Presently I'm still on the fence as to which direction I'll be going with my irons. The CF16's are still doing a good job for me but I would really like to get something that offers more consistent yardages when in the fairway. Unfortunately too often I get flyers that send the ball sailing the green, and these are with good strikes. The question is do I move on to the better player's iron like the P790's or the i200's, or do I stay with the GI irons but move on the to the G700's or or possibly the A400's?

I'm curious as to which irons were you gaming prior to the G700's?

First of all thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. Considering it was windy, your first time out, and a bag full of unfamiliar sticks, scoring a PB speaks volumes to the quality of play. Presently I'm still on the fence as to which direction I'll be going with my irons. The CF16's are still doing a good job for me but I would really like to get something that offers more consistent yardages when in the fairway. Unfortunately too often I get flyers that send the ball sailing the green, and these are with good strikes. The question is do I move on to the better player's iron like the P790's or the i200's, or do I stay with the GI irons but move on the to the G700's or or possibly the A400's?

I'm curious as to which irons were you gaming prior to the G700's?

I was playing the Cleveland 588 Altitude 6-PW, DW, SW prior to the G700's.
Nothing wrong with the Altitudes. My wife gave me the green light to get fitted and to get new irons as a 10 yr anniversary gift so I wasn't going to waste that opportunity :)

These were number one to hit on my list at last weekend's demo day. Unfortunately the weather continued to be pure crap so I wasn't able to make it happen.

These were number one to hit on my list at last weekend's demo day. Unfortunately the weather continued to be pure crap so I wasn't able to make it happen.

any other demo days coming up?

any other demo days coming up?

that's the biggest one in the area, pretty much every company is there and it's usually a ton of fun(esp when Nerfny gets up there and shows me up). I'll just have to go someplace and demo on my own.

Took an easy swing with one of these with a 7i demo on a Nippon shaft - 147 carry by Trackman.

Not my shaft, and only 72 mph swing. My usual is 78-80.

Holy distance grab, Batman!

The only problem is they look like the Penguin -- ugh.

I went to a fitter hoping to buy a set of Titleist AP1. My main goal is to have irons that fly high and land soft on the hard greens I play at my fave course in Florida. I tried many different irons, Callaway Rogue, Titleist, everything. G700 hadn't been released yet but he brought out the 7 iron and bang bang bang, I was hitting these exactly like I hoped. Had a set FedExed to me the day they were released, graphite shafts. I just love them. I often hit the 4 iron of the tee on a tight fairway and get 200+ yards total ( dry conditions) sometimes but even less well hit ones are in the right direction usually. I was playing the XXIO Prime irons before, these are longer and higher, for me.

The PING demo cart was at my local course yesterday. I play Eye 2+ now. The rep gave me a green dot G700 7 iron with AWT 2.0. After hitting 10-12 balls with my clubs to warm up, I hit maybe 12 balls with the G700.

Quick thoughts:
- It sounds alot like my driver. The metal-wood sound is strange at first, but I kinda dig it honestly.
- Feel was good, but not great.
- The 7 iron is BIG looking coming from my Eye 2+, but the head shape and super clean lines make it look like an overgrown players iron.
- Distance is outstanding, with high drop-and-stop descent. I was hitting the 7 iron around 175, no joke, and I'm really not a long ball guy. I could probably carry 5 iron on down and cover my current yardages easily, while keeping the same number of clubs in the bag that I have now.

The G700 is probably the best combo I've seen, of SGI forgiveness, rocketship distance in a really good looking club.

Having replaced my Ping G 6-iron with a G700 6-iron a few weeks ago, I have now had a chance to play the club within the flow of several rounds of golf. I have been extremely impressed with the easy distance I get with this club, and that distance is combined with a nice trajectory and excellent accuracy. The sound/feel is a bit crisper and more metallic than my G irons, but the feel is not harsh at all, possibly because I have the Recoil 780 ES shaft in the G700. This club is becoming my go-to iron for medium range approach shots where I might have typically used my 25* hybrid in the past. When struck perfectly, the hybrid goes a little farther than the G700 6-iron, but the G700 is more consistent in direction and solid ball contact than the hybrid. I'm even finding myself using the G700 6-iron when I would normally hit my G 7-iron because the G700 is so easy to hit and I can just take a little off my swing to be sure the ball doesn't come off too hot for the distance I need. I'm now thinking seriously about replacing my 7-iron and possibly other G irons with the G700. This club is that good!

By the way, I have not seen any excessive wear yet, and the size of the G700 is only a tiny bit larger than the G irons. The G700 looks like a larger, more forgiving version of a player's iron - as Beckman said above - and turf interaction is quite good as well.

Back