Silverado

Reaction score
For some of you who played the i25 irons... Are you still bagging them? If not, why? Run about an 8 or 9 handicap. Still bag the Eye 2+'s much of the time. Have tried various GI irons and just don't get along well with them. Have a chance to pick up a very nice set of i25's. Just trying to get some feedback on how folks got along with them.
Thanks for your comments/advice!!!

I believe @Jman had these for a bit

For some of you who played the i25 irons... Are you still bagging them? If not, why? Run about an 8 or 9 handicap. Still bag the Eye 2+'s much of the time. Have tried various GI irons and just don't get along well with them. Have a chance to pick up a very nice set of i25's. Just trying to get some feedback on how folks got along with them.
Thanks for your comments/advice!!!
Oh man, going back back a bit. @JB is correct that I had them for a while. For me, things just kept evolving to offer more playability in the same size profile, heck, even among PING’s own releases.

That said, if they’re clean, and the price is right, they’re still very much an iron that is fun. It’ll be a massive jump from your 2’s in pretty much all areas of distance and forgiveness believe it or not.

Are there better options? Technically speaking yeah, but again if the price is right and they are clean, and you’re a PING person, the 25’s are hard to beat.

The I15-i25 range are gonna obviously look different than the Eye2 (everything does). But you can somewhat tell they are of the same lineage. Nothing really comes close to the combo of large offset with a small head as the original Eye2. The newer I's were a bit bigger clubheads and a bit less offset.

Shaft is important too, if you have original shafts from the Eye2 those were pretty stout. Some of the newer I's might have like 90g high launch stuff in them as there were a few options

Honestly, other than Ping I ---And possibly also the Cleveland TA7 ---another club that kinda does the offset in a smaller head thing is the Sub70 659CB and you can also get those cheap

Thanks for the input! I've played everything from Rogues to T300's to a few more GI irons. At my age, should be looking for GI but just can't get used to them. Also, postage stamp greens. My Pings...both Eye 2's and "+'s" can drop an iron into and the balls stays. So many of the "modern" clubs don't have that luxury. Was hoping to get the same playability with the I-25's, but still retain some of the spin.

Wow! Will read!
Happy to help! Been a few years since I wrote that one, but after reading through this morning I stand by it all still.

Thanks for the input! I've played everything from Rogues to T300's to a few more GI irons. At my age, should be looking for GI but just can't get used to them. Also, postage stamp greens. My Pings...both Eye 2's and "+'s" can drop an iron into and the balls stays. So many of the "modern" clubs don't have that luxury. Was hoping to get the same playability with the I-25's, but still retain some of the spin.

Important to also remember the original Eye2 will be at least a full club difference in terms of loft then today's clubs. The Eye2 8 iron if i recall was 40 degrees, which is a 9 iron now in most sets. And so forth through the bag.

I would imagine your launch and descent angle (assuming 8 vs 8) will be higher with the Eye2 due to massive difference in loft.

I still have mint 1987 Eye2---i may test this over the winter lol

I was fit with the Ping I 525 and KBS 95. it was a good feeling iron. Have you had any experience with it.

Important to also remember the original Eye2 will be at least a full club difference in terms of loft then today's clubs. The Eye2 8 iron if i recall was 40 degrees, which is a 9 iron now in most sets. And so forth through the bag.

I would imagine your launch and descent angle (assuming 8 vs 8) will be higher with the Eye2 due to massive difference in loft.

I still have mint 1987 Eye2---i may test this over the winter lol
My Eye 2's are 1985 and my Eye 2+BeCu's are 1994. I understand the loft difference. Going to an R steel shaft in the I25's rather than the TT Lites in the Eye 2's and JZ Stiffs in the BeCu's. Thinking that due to the stronger lofts and lighter shafts should gain some distance. Not worried too much about the trajectory.

I was fit with the Ping I 525 and KBS 95. it was a good feeling iron. Have you had any experience with it.
The only i's I've had was a set of iBlades. They had the KBS 120 Tour shafts. Loved those and should never have gotten rid of them. But, as the body has aged, the KBS 120's would probably have worn me out by now anyway.

Thanks to all!! With the positive comments and some "itching", I pulled the trigger on the i25's. Looking forward to seeing them arrive something next week. We play 6 to 7 days/week. The BeCu Eye 2+'s have seen quite a bit of play this past few weeks. They perform so well. The JZ Stiff just is too much shaft for this tired old body. They will still see the course from time to time, no matter what ends up as being in the bag most every day.

Just want to give a big thanks to those who commented on this thread. I did pull the trigger and rec'd the pristine i25's day before Thanksgiving. We were "blessed" with some snow the day after, Thanksgiving so didn't get them out until this past Sunday. 4 rounds under my belt. Winter conditions but fairways not frozen. Too many clothes on a couple of those days.
I fully understand all clubs have a "honeymoon" period. But, I've been really surprised at this set of irons. Quite forgiving for a what is tagged as a blade. Able to work the ball either way. Distance fine, somewhat due to the stronger lofts than "traditional". Excellent feel, but do let you know when you catch one just a tad bit thin. Due to moisture, our greens are super receptive. No problem with stopping balls on our postage stamp greens.

Every time I get a new set of irons, the first thing I do is change to midsize grips. This set arrived with almost new midsize Golf Pride CP2 Wraps. This is the same grip I had on my iBlades.

Again, appreciate your help!

I have the I525 irons. very happy with them. very good feedback as to how solid you are hitting the ball

Back