Curious for those who’ve tested these vs the SM10’s if ball speed had a noticeable separation?

Curious for those who’ve tested these vs the SM10’s if ball speed had a noticeable separation?
Nope. Posted some data earlier.

James Franco GIF

You know, I own that deep down inside, I have an affinity for PING, even if they absolutely irritate me with some of the decisions they make as well as the crazy level of defense or anti-establishment some wield their clubs with here on the internet. So, as you can see, there is a rather large mix of emotions for me.

Which is part of why I was both surprised and entirely unsurprised when I ended up bringing a set of these home after a manic trade-in session where I'd intended to load up on golf balls for the season, but ended up here with a 50S, 54S, 60H. In restrospect, I should have known this would happen when I got on the fitting app before even heading into OKC.

So, I put them into play the past two days, and I have thoughts.

Visually: Best thing I can say here is that at setup, they don't look like a PING club. Take that as a dig if you must, but IMO its a very big "well done" to PING. These at setup are clean, they have a Tour level shaping and stance to them which immediately makes me feel comfortable, that has never happened in a PING wedge for me, ever. More than that, I actually think the entire package is just super well done, from the font on the lofts/grind to the way the material in the pseudo-cavity is inlaid. Not to mention, the PING branding isn't in your face, it pretty freaking clean. I'll add, when sitting them down my first thought is "HOLY GROOVES BATMAN!", there are SO many grooves, especially in the 54/60.

Sound/Feel: They're thumpy. That is the biggest compliment I can give any wedge ever, when I say that, I mean they are dense at impact with no higher pitch to them, there's no sharp click, and instead its the sensation of solidly plush through impact. They're not as head heavy feeling as Vokey's to me, but its closer than any other wedge I have hit this last release cycle and I'm pretty sure I have hit them all at this point.

Spin: Not obscene, but extremely consistent. I have seen some really good data that I will share in an article I plan to write on them, but the high's aren't AS high for me as the SM10's were, but there is a consistency that makes up for that. At the same time, they aren't low spinning at all, but with the friction face I can get a level of bite no matter if the quality of contact isn't exactly the best. Today on the course I hit SEVERAL really good clippy wedges, some flighted down, some high and soft, some just standard shots and things were really receptive with them.

In Play: I hit these really well today and yesterday, I'm admittedly fighting rediscovering my numbers and continue to work on that with the SkyTrak+ but for now its about being in a range on our course that gives chances, namely keeping it under the hole at all times which I did with the exception of a couple shots in particular. The shaft isn't the greatest in terms of my fit and feel that I want, but its smooth like I expected. I do also think that they do really well on full to 3/4 shots, the 50S in particular is showing some good versatility.

In all, it was a good couple days with these, and even as much as PING may upset me at times, these are CLEARLY the best wedges we have seen from them to this point. I hope they expand grind options, because as versatile as what they offer is, they are still really limited compared to, say, an SM10. Damn good wedges though.

More monitor work with these this morning, confirms for me everything I wrote above. They’re the best wedges ping has ever released in the modern era.

Ordered a lefty set from Carls, with a s400 shaft change, prior to the release day…..haven’t heard a peep yet….can’t imagine it’d be too much longer.

How is the H grind out of the bunker? About to pull the trigger and a set 46s ,50s, 54h, 58h. Trying to decide on the grind for the 54 and 58. Currently I use a Mizuno T22 58.4 for bunkers and I feel I would be better served with a little more bounce.

How is the H grind out of the bunker? About to pull the trigger and a set 46s ,50s, 54h, 58h. Trying to decide on the grind for the 54 and 58. Currently I use a Mizuno T22 58.4 for bunkers and I feel I would be better served with a little more bounce.
I actually hit it 3 times out of bunkers yesterday in the 60 because I was short sided. It’s very effective.

Love them in general, but the 50 is slowly becoming one of my favorite gap wedges of all time.

1000061505.jpg

Brought the 60T today and did not disappoint. Up and down machine and this was kick in approach to really tough pin.

Big fan of the H Grind, but didn't expect to like the T quite as much as I did. For a low bounce wedge it didn't really hang up on greenside at all, and was the perfect tool for the job on a couple tight ones. Surprisingly good through the turf.

was just messing around at DSG today and picked one of the demo's up. Had to take the wrapper off of it. These feel really nice and the looks match. 2 things stood out above the rest:
1: Spin. On a full shot with a 58 degree wedge and a beat up ProV1 I got 12,000 spin on a 90 yard shot. On a 50 yard shot I got 8,000. It was really kinda surprising to me

2: The grip. The Dyla-wedge felt really great in my hands. The markings for partial shots is really nice and the grip seems to go further down the shaft than a standard grip.

IT OFFERS NO FORGIVENESS FROM THE HOSEL. (I found it.)

was just messing around at DSG today and picked one of the demo's up. Had to take the wrapper off of it. These feel really nice and the looks match. 2 things stood out above the rest:
1: Spin. On a full shot with a 58 degree wedge and a beat up ProV1 I got 12,000 spin on a 90 yard shot. On a 50 yard shot I got 8,000. It was really kinda surprising to me

2: The grip. The Dyla-wedge felt really great in my hands. The markings for partial shots is really nice and the grip seems to go further down the shaft than a standard grip.

IT OFFERS NO FORGIVENESS FROM THE HOSEL. (I found it.)
I like the ideas in their wedge grips. Longer for gripped down shots and lines that allow you to consistently open the face the same each time.

I like the ideas in their wedge grips. Longer for gripped down shots and lines that allow you to consistently open the face the same each time.
I really think others should create something like this. I had never paid any attention to it till today

I really think others should create something like this. I had never paid any attention to it till today
I'm not one that utilizes it but I can definitely see the value. And it's a pretty simple thing really.

1000061950.jpg

Yep. Swapped to these and am all set. The B being a little more of a wide low just isn't the ideal fit for me, and getting along with the T really showed it. So I'm 50S 54H 60H now. All one weak.

Let's go!!

Few holes in today before the sky’s let loose but loved the few shots I took with it. Was able to hit a flop shot over the corner of a bunker to a short sided pin with a slight run away and hit a great shot that finished a few feet away for par. Impressed with the performance so far.

Full homepage review on these coming soooooooon

👀

Great round in today, went up and down out of the sand 2 in todays round the added bounce vs my previous wedges had added tremendous help in the bunker and hadn’t hurt my chips or pitches.

Great round in today, went up and down out of the sand 2 in todays round the added bounce vs my previous wedges had added tremendous help in the bunker and hadn’t hurt my chips or pitches.
These feel really good. Can't tell the difference between this and my T24. I wish I could get a couple of these Dylawedge grips

This S grind is so good out of the traps, even had a walker on the road say nice shot today 😆

These are such great wedges. I’ve hit some really great shots with these both partial and full. Really pleased with how well they’ve been doing especially with the damp conditions this year. Managed to chip in during today’s round which was fantastic. The finish is holding up really well so far even with a few sand shots mixed in during the rounds.

These are such great wedges. I’ve hit some really great shots with these both partial and full. Really pleased with how well they’ve been doing especially with the damp conditions this year. Managed to chip in during today’s round which was fantastic. The finish is holding up really well so far even with a few sand shots mixed in during the rounds.
Yeah my black finish is doing great and I had an all timer bunker shot yesterday with my 61* that was basically full swing to an impossible pin. Stuck it for a kick in, and noticed after that the finish is looking great.

1000065438.jpg

It's hard to accurately portray how hard it is to do what that did. That was S159 at its absolute best. That green looks innocent though but is damn near impossible to get anything close on.

Back