PING s55 Iron - Review Thread

Ping S55 Irons

Ping S55 Irons

Hey Guys!

Just grabbed these from my local Golf Town. After trade in and everything they only cost me $400, so I am pretty excited about this so far.

Just wondering if any of you are using these clubs, or have previously used these.

Thanks a lot!

I love these. Never owned them, but always enjoyed testing them out. Congrats on a the new clubs and hit them well!

Hey Guys!

Just grabbed these from my local Golf Town. After trade in and everything they only cost me $400, so I am pretty excited about this so far.

Just wondering if any of you are using these clubs, or have previously used these.

Thanks a lot!

merged this with a larger thread on the s55 irons. Lots of good thoughts in here. Good luck with the new sticks.

Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot!

My favorite irons I have owned just wish they had a gap wedge. I'm thinking about changing the shafts to graphite but that won't happen until the off season.

My favorite irons I have owned just wish they had a gap wedge. I'm thinking about changing the shafts to graphite but that won't happen until the off season.

Yeah, I have a nice gap between the W 140 yards and my GW 125. Guess I have to learn my 3/4 swings!

Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot!
Love mine.... Even more now that I put c taper lite shafts in this spring. They are awesome!

I have played a lot of different sets of irons over the years. And the s55 are probably my favorite. I picked up a used set with CFS xstiff shafts and I was not super impressed with those shafts. To light for me. Went to a set of ctaper xstiff ssx1 and man do they feel awesome! They feel powerful and cut through the turf perfect! These will be in my bag for a while I think.

Yeah, I have a nice gap between the W 140 yards and my GW 125. Guess I have to learn my 3/4 swings!

I picked up a 50 degree wedge and it fits perfectly for what I need.

Did you then go 50,54,58?

I have 52,56,60 right now.

Sorry I just saw this, yes I went 50,54,58 with the Mizzuno mp t5 wedges. If the Ping glide wedges were out I may have gone that way because I love the ctp ping has developed.

I'm effing dialed in with these, at least on the back 9. hahaha I think I'm going to go to GolfTec in the off season and have my length and lie double checked they seem a little off and I want to find a good deal on some graphite pulls.

Picking up a set of 4-PW with the SteelFiber i80 shafts in them tomorrow.

Current Wedge setup is 48*, 52*, 56* but that's with a 44* PW.

Not sure if I should go 50* to 56* since the s55 PW is 46* or go another route.

I'm buying some shafts for these and was looking on eBay for some feurrels and I see some that have a collar and some don't. What's the difference and does anyone know what I would need for these irons?

I'm buying some shafts for these and was looking on eBay for some feurrels and I see some that have a collar and some don't. What's the difference and does anyone know what I would need for these irons?
I think the collar is a slightly raised ring of plastic inside the feurrel. My RocketBladez had them, I don't know about the S55s

Hey man, through my club building ping uses collared ferrules in order to keep the shaft centered when re-shafting. Billybobs sells ping specific, as do a couple of component suppliers in town here. however, they're definitely not cheap compared to what normal ferrules cost.

When i built my s55's this season i went with tall black ferrules with white rings because that was the color set i was going for. I rarely ever use standard black ferrules anymore.

The ferrule collar doesn't do anything except what i stated, and they only go into the hosel of the S55 head about 1/4". What i did when i built mine, was to get the ferrule on the shaft into position, and then i took some regular masking tape, and cut them into 1/4" wide strips. Wrapped it around the tip of the shaft just below the ferrule to simulate the collar. That gave it a snug fit just like a collared ferrule would have, and they've been perfect all season so far. An alternative to that kind of tape would be to use the fibreglass mesh drywall tape. LMK if you have any other questions or need any help with getting the re-shaft done!

Epic bump.

One of my favorite forum reviews ever done, and not just because I was in it.

Also, I miss these, might be time to snag a set.

I've still got mine. Had a pretty good year with them last year.

Epic bump.

One of my favorite forum reviews ever done, and not just because I was in it.

Also, I miss these, might be time to snag a set.

I've still got mine. Had a pretty good year with them last year.

I'm eyeing a set of blue-dot's right now. Tempted.

Isn't it cool three out of four of us who did this review are still around even 4-5 years later?

I'm eyeing a set of blue-dot's right now. Tempted.

Isn't it cool three out of four of us who did this review are still around even 4-5 years later?
Very much so. I got lucky and snuck in when @fupresti didn't wait to order them... Time flies when you're having fun!

I like looking back at this thread to see who's signature they've stuck around in.

They feel great on well struck balls, but certainly don't have the forgiveness many require. They've stuck with me through a LOT of golf shots. PING did well on them. No doubt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Very much so. I got lucky and snuck in when @fupresti didn't wait to order them... Time flies when you're having fun!

I like looking back at this thread to see who's signature they've stuck around in.

They feel great on well struck balls, but certainly don't have the forgiveness many require. They've stuck with me through a LOT of golf shots. PING did well on them. No doubt.

It's not that I didn't want them, it's that I was impatient and ordered my own set the day before being selected as a tester.

You're still welcome.

Hahaha, good grief I remember that now!!!! Still funny!

One of the more legendary forum reviews we have done for sure.

It's not that I didn't want them, it's that I was impatient and ordered my own set the day before being selected as a tester.

You're still welcome.
That's what I said. You couldn't wait to order them

Much appreciated!

You're still welcome.

Still. So. Funny.

Learned my lesson.

Not really.

Hahaha, we learned that golf gear and golf talk is fun, and its what keeps us coming back way more than anything else.

Back