Play it where it lies? Or OK to move to a preferred lie in the fairway?

If you play a hole not by the rules all you need to do is giver yourself the expected score for your handicap and the hole rating, put an x by it and turn it in with the other 17 holes played by the rules.

If you play a hole not by the rules, you score par+any handicap strokes on that hole, and put an X by it.

I play in a Senior league with very lax rules - improve lies between the tree lines (fairway and rough), and rake bunkers prior to your shot, if you're in a footprint. It makes sense to me as many of the golfers are 70+ and 80+ years old and couldn't possibly hit the ball anywhere from a bad lie. Golf is supposed to be fun, and these rules make the game enjoyable for our older golfers.

I only play with my son and maybe one of his friends. We play a municipal course that is I fairly good shape. But, we get a preferred lie. We are out to have fun (even though we play for "The Championship of the World) and quality time with each other. We don't carry a handicap. I want him to hit his best shot each time. I just mine to be a little better. We both know how to hit from a bad lie, but if a couple of inches gives a favorable lie, we take advantage. If I played a really nice couse, I probably would not need to improve my lie.

I only play with my son and maybe one of his friends. We play a municipal course that is I fairly good shape. But, we get a preferred lie. We are out to have fun (even though we play for "The Championship of the World) and quality time with each other. We don't carry a handicap. I want him to hit his best shot each time. I just mine to be a little better. We both know how to hit from a bad lie, but if a couple of inches gives a favorable lie, we take advantage. If I played a really nice couse, I probably would not need to improve my lie.

nice course or not doesn't really matter. And anyone can play however they wish. That's one of great things about golf. Do whatever you want to have fun and no one will question it nor should they. Also no need to explain or even justify any of it. Playing golf is about so much more than the rules so long as one wants it to be.

Only when things are official is when rules matter and running an official cap then does make it matter if one wants to be serious about his cap. otherwise do whatever you want and what offers you the most enjoyment. No one has anything to say about it and if they do then that's their problem not yours.

Back