Play This Shot - Par 4

We have one like this at the course I play at, little danger other than ob left and since I fade it, I usually hit driver and leave myself a half wedge in or full wedge if I slice it into the other fairway that runs along side.

I would hit the 3 hybrid (my straightest long club) and leave myself a full 56 degree. approx 85 yards for me.

I pull driver and hit about a 1/2 to 3/4 SW in.

I would try a 3w and hopefully leave myself 80-100 yards out. That's probably my favorite range to be in

I would go hybrid and take a full wedge in. Only time I pull driver on short par 4's is if there's no danger and it leaves me more of a chip vs a half wedge.

Use the driver. PW pitch to get close, if not on the green. 4-putt for double:bulgy-eyes:

I'm a graduate of the Buckjob School of Golf. Driver all the way.

Driver. Considering there's no trouble I would have zero hesitation. I have a higher chance of getting par from 50 yards out than I do from 150 anyways.

I completely stink at half-wedge shots, and a 40-60 yard shot falls right into that category. I'd assume that 3 wood or 2 hybrid would leave me somewhere in the range of 80-100 yards for my second shot, that's an easy full wedge for me, so I'd go that route.

The place I play regularly resembles this question. I would hit whatever got me to between 100/110 yards. I have not been thrilled with my performance when letting off a little so far this season so give me a full wedge in.

Here's the situation. You step up to a par four.
If you pull driver you leave yourself 40-60 yards to the green.

What do you do? Pull driver or take another club to leave yourself a full club distance in? If you pull another club what is your ideal distance you want to lay up to?

Are you comfortable enough with the short game to be happy with the shorter distance?

The #2 hole at my club is this exact shot. With wind at the back you need to play a cut to get on or around the green if you choose. Only 1 time out of maybe 50 rounds have I went for it and got lucky. Every other time depending on tee location I hit anywhere from 6iron to 4hybrid and that leaves me a full wedge into the green. There is a lot of hazards, hit it long and strait you will not have a shot and will have to try and chip out. To far right and you are OB, it's a hole that will make you think.

If I am swinging well, I will pull driver and use a 1/2 to 3/4 swing with my 56*. Most times, I would use my hybid and have a full PW or GW to flag.

It depends on how I am hitting the driver that day.

If I am hitting it fairly straight, I pull it and let it rip. I am fine with 50 yards to go.

If I am spraying it, I will pull 3H and leave myself with 120 or so. Nice full CB3 Gap Wedge.

Assuming the hole would be about 300-310 I would hit an 8 iron off the tee and leave about 130-140 and go at it with GW

I will pull whatever gets me to 100 yards. I have put A LOT of time in on that distance and when I lay up to that number I am more consistent.

I'm playing to the 150 range and then playing my way in. It's where I'm most comfortable at no doubt.

Depending on the length of the hole, I am probably taking a 3 iron or 3 wood off the tee and either leaving a full PW or SW into the green. Just don't trust that 40-60 yard shot as it is pretty delicate.

30 - 65 yard shots are pretty much my bread and butter, so I'd do whatever I could to get inside that range.
I often find myself laying up to this yardage range on the par 5's at my course instead of trying to get as close to the green as possible in 2. This usually allows me to hit less club for a more accurate second shot, and puts me in good position for my approach.

Driver, LW (40yds) or SW (60yd) pitch shot. That's one of my favorite golf shots.

If I'm hitting the driver well I'll pull it out on almost every par 4. I've been inconsistent from every yardage so whether it's 50 or 150 I'll give it a shot.

Driver. I can get the ball close consistently from 40-60. Assuming there's no trouble to make it risky.

I am with you Hawk. Main reason for me is I have more confidence in my lob wedge than probably any club in my bag. I guess that is opposite for a lot of people, at least most of what i read and what I have seen.

I still like to get as close as I can.

As long as I have to hit a really bad shot to find trouble, I'm pulling driver. Exceptions would be a pin that requires a high, soft, quick stopping shot to be on the right part of the green. Then I'll lay back to 110 or so.

I'm better at 50 yard shots than 100 yard shots. Period.

I would definitely lay up so I have a full wedge into the green. This usually means a hybrid or 4 iron depending on the length if the whole, the presence of any hazards & the pin location. I feel really confident with a full wedge in my hands as I can better control the spin and trajectory of the ball than when I have a partial wedge shot. This play is a new one for me as two years ago I would have hit the driver.

Back