Much more likely to break a club on the follow-through against a tree. I will do that during a tournament but not a random round.

On the follow through from a 1/4 swing? Doubtful.

One thing I wonder...

The folks saying they always move the ball off a rock or root because they don't wanna damage their clubs... are they using their iron covers anytime they're not using their irons so they don't damage them? :angel::bulgy-eyes:

Much more likely to break a club on the follow-through against a tree. I will do that during a tournament but not a random round.

Just curious.....why?
I mean what is so important about a tournament that make it ok to risk breaking a club and also injury vs other rounds? Is that tourney the US Open? Just an honest question, not trying to be a smartass. Its only golf. Just how big a deal are these tournaments? perhaps Im wrong

Just curious.....why?
I mean what is so important about a tournament that make it ok to risk breaking a club and also injury vs other rounds? Is that tourney the US Open? Just an honest question, not trying to be a smartass. Its only golf. Just how big a deal are these tournaments? perhaps Im wrong
For some they are a big deal, USGA, State, and Monday qualifiers often come down to one stroke. PAT test there is a given number you need to shoot in order to pass.

People put in countless hours chasing a dream. Doesn't matter the dream it maybe winning the city championship, club championship, breaking par, breaking 90 or national events. For them the time spent on the course/range putting in work to make that dream a reality. Justifies in their mind that the risk of breaking a club is worth taking. Only that person can make that decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Important to most people not so much just city level gross type events. I only play a few a year so they are my majors. I honestly don't care all that much about breaking a club but I don't go out of my way to do it. I don't mind hitting of paths if the drop option is way worse. I guess I think of it like football, they don't hit the quarterback in practice because why risk it until it matters. That is how I treat those kind of shots, I don't risk it when it doesn't matter. Honestly the situation doesn't come up much anyways.

Milkman explained it much better.

Full swing with tree having no effect on ball flight. Honestly fairly rare

I'll be honest. I have no idea where you're going with that. :beat-up:

I mean like the shot has zero trouble trajectory wise to the point it is basically a stock shot difficulty wise except the follow through might snap a shaft. I might give myself just enough room without changing the shot to save the club. Very different from being on a root but the only legitimate shot is go sideways then I just go sideways. If I might break a club but the shot is tough and tree issues I am not moving the ball to an easier shot for the sake of a club.

Just a few thoughts post-round after playing with some docs from the hospital today:

1. I found it sad that one remarked that I actually play like I described before we went, as if that was almost unheard of among mid-high handicappers. His quote was "dudes that say they shoot mostly in the 90's usually do it by hole 12."

2. A few comments were made that it was nice to play with someone who didn't carry a "foot wedge" in their bag. Again, I got the impression that it wasn't the norm.

I know the vast majority of us are out to have fun, but these comments from a few single-digit index players made me question why even keep score if you're not going to REALLY keep score?

I sometimes go out and just play where I'll take multiple putts and shots etc, like a practice round, when the course isn't busy, but I don't add up the best shots and putts like it's a scramble and say I shot a much lower number than I'm capable of. If I did, I'd look like an idiot when the 3 handicap guy at work asks if I want to go golfing. He expects someone to show up that can shoot in the 80's and instead hackasaurus Rex shows up...

It just seems odd that people will say that shot an XX when it's obvious that if they followed the rules, they really shot an XXX. You can't hide an acute lack of ability on the course, so, unless you don't plan on ever golfing with people from work etc that you talk golf with, it seems like a great way to look like a liar eventually.

Anyhow, I'm going to finish my cigar on the deck and dream about shooting in the 80's.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Alot of guys talk in the 70's, dress in the 80's, and shoot in the 90's.

80's score or decade?

I think I dress in the 60's...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

80's score or decade?

I think I dress in the 60's...

I miss the 70's lol
But i really do. Though i will be reliving it for a couple hours when i (again) see the Stones perform in August. Heck saw elton a couple months back and Mccartney not so long ago and B joel comming up soon too. Thats a fist for me with him.

Yes, excellent post.
The reality is that a player always has one stroke penalty options for any lie he does not like (for example, divot, rock, root, no grass hard pan dirt etc....). Whether players choose to assess themselves a 1 stroke penalty for relief from lies they don't like is another story.

I acknowledged the wrong quote.

Last edited:
I don't care what anyone does. But what I don't quite understand is......what does hurting yourself or damaging a club have to do with being forgiven of the penalty stroke? Of course I get why one feels the need to move the ball for those very reasons. That's perfectly understandable, but how does it justify forgiving yourself the penalty? We are allowed to move the ball whenever we consider it unplayable. Its built into the rules for us that way. I mean its actually part of the rules that you can move it and give yourself relief from a situation you consider unplayable but do so at the cost of one stroke. The rules are saying to us outright "hey, you don't have to play that and can move it at the cost of a stroke" . Imo we should be like..."wow that's pretty cool that Im allowed to move that"...this way I don't have to risk injury or club damage. Imo so what if it comes at the cost of a stroke. How is that part incorrect? I mean we hit the ball where we hit it and so be it.

And honestly who says we ever have to take a full or hard enough a swing as to risk injury or damage in the first place? very often those scenarios can easily be taken care of via some type of small pitch out , chip out, or something soft enough to risk no damage or injury at all while getting the ball to a safer place to take the shot. Why is that somehow something so many seem to ignore? That's a real option too fwiw.

There are certain times I think a few rules are unfair to amateurs but I just don't get or see why this scenario above fits that bill.

Fine job Rollin! I'll only add one more tidbit to your post.

"One must know the Rules in order to play by the Rules".

The only time I move my ball is if it is on something that will wreck my clubs or me (roots, rocks, etc). I maker sure I still have the same shot so as to not improve the situation minus the things mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I move my ball is if it is on something that will wreck my clubs or me (roots, rocks, etc). I maker sure I still have the same shot so as to not improve the situation minus the things mentioned.

Why not just hit a little 1/4 shot off the root or other obstacle? Doubtful you'd do any damage to a club with a 1/4 swing and would probably be able to get the ball to a better position without using a penalty stroke.

Why not just hit a little 1/4 shot off the root or other obstacle? Doubtful you'd do any damage to a club with a 1/4 swing and would probably be able to get the ball to a better position without using a penalty stroke.

Because I did that back in the 90s and snapped the head off my 4 iron and ever since then I refuse to do it. Unless I’m in a tournament then I would hit it since I’m playing for money.

Not sure why this option seems to be ignored so often. Not saying its always an option given any and all root/rock lies where one feels they need to move the ball. But certainly it likely is one some percentage of the time. Yet somehow its like something no one even cares to hear or think about like it doesn't exist.
I don't really get why for those who do want to play by the rules (for their own reasons of honesty with themselves as they would say) best they know how to, why such the resistance to this option (if practical) and also why eliminate the penalty option for moving the unplayable ball as well? I don't see how this is something considered unfair where as one can feel to justify it. But that's just me :)

Because I did that back in the 90s and snapped the head off my 4 iron and ever since then I refuse to do it. Unless I’m in a tournament then I would hit it since I’m playing for money.

Ok, but I highly doubt that would happen given most any easy soft enough little shot just enough to get the ball even a few feet/yards from the root or rock. It doesn't have to be punched out with any velocity to make anything more of the shot except just to get it off the root or rock. Id bet even the softest easiest stroke can move the ball further than any drop would anyway. And if you happen to be one who does like to keep their scoring within the rules then why not the penalty stroke with the relief drop (if that's what you decide to do)?

We can roll the ball in any fairway in our Monday night league, but I can't even see myself doing it unless it was in a complete hole. I'm playing it down 100% of the time otherwise.

We can rake and place in bunkers as well and I'm on board with that since I've seen numerous bunkers that haven't been raked. I took advantage of that rule on Monday after my ball landed in a footprint that looked like it was made by an ignorant 400 pound monster.

If you really snapped the head off a 4i with a legit 1/4 swing, then there must've been something going on with that head already. I mean, we're talking about, what... 25mph max?

Not sure why this option seems to be ignored so often. Not saying its always an option given any and all root/rock lies where one feels they need to move the ball. But certainly it likely is one some percentage of the time. Yet somehow its like something no one even cares to hear or think about like it doesn't exist.
I don't really get why for those who do want to play by the rules (for their own reasons of honesty with themselves as they would say) best they know how to, why such the resistance to this option (if practical) and also why eliminate the penalty option for moving the unplayable ball as well? I don't see how this is something considered unfair where as one can feel to justify it. But that's just me :)
Oh, it's not just you, rollin.

I play out of any lie except cart path, tree roots. rocks, etc. I'm not going to hurt myself or my clubs.

I play out of any lie except cart path, tree roots. rocks, etc. I'm not going to hurt myself or my clubs.
What're the chances of hurting yourself hitting a 1/4 shot to punch the ball toward the fairway out of jail?

I'll post this again because no one responded to it earlier and I'm genuinely curious.

One thing I wonder...

The folks saying they always move the ball off a rock or root because they don't wanna damage their clubs... are they using their iron covers anytime they're not using their irons so they don't damage them? :angel::bulgy-eyes:

Back