Playing on Recently Aerated Greens

Do any of you share my frustration with playing on recently aerated greens? Played on them for the first time yesterday and it was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done, haha.

when this happens for me and my buddies we play automatic 2 put inside 15 feet. Round is still fun and takes the frustration out.

We had the greens aerated at our course a couple of weeks ago and had to play a men's club tournament 3 days later. Needless to say it made scoring less than optimal. I had 4 missed putts inside of 3 feet due to bouncing & deflection off line. We've got our last tourney this weekend and they'll be a little better but not nothing near what normal. It makes you really concentrate on even a 6 inch putt, because if you have sand on the ball or putter or decel at all you could miss it.

I played on some yesterday that were punched and sanded. I'd prefer the pristine greens I get most days at Northwood, but I can't complain.

That's where I'm torn. From a business standpoint, I can see why courses wouldn't say anything.

If it's aeration season, I kind of believe it's up to the golfer to ask.

I disagree. I think that aerated greens are a material condition issue for a course and all material condition issues should be made known by the course on its website, over the phone, at the counter, wherever.... Same applies to water/flooding issues, temp greens, etc. Just not fair for it to be a surprise both given cost of a round and the lost opportunity to play somewhere else.

when this happens for me and my buddies we play automatic 2 put inside 15 feet. Round is still fun and takes the frustration out.

Great idea. Nothing like missing a short putt because of the bumps/sand to kill your mojo for a round.

Back