Playing on Recently Aerated Greens

A-Mart

Reaction score
Handicap
Do any of you share my frustration with playing on recently aerated greens? Played on them for the first time yesterday and it was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done, haha.

It's a necessary evil, so no, I don't share your frustration regarding them. Without it, green conditions would suffer all season long. As long as the course lets me know that they recently aerated when I make a tee time and/or discounts the round, I'm perfectly happy with a 2 putt max. If aeration is done correctly, it shouldn't make that much of a difference for more than 5 days to a week.

It sucks, but something most of us have to put up with in the spring and/or fall for a few weeks. Just have to do the best you can and not let it get to you. Everyone playing is in the same boat and from my experience there isn't any sort of magic trick to putt better on them than the next guy.

Yup, avoid courses for a few weeks after they do that. At the very least they should offer you a discount on the round.

Its certainly frustrating, for sure, but it is a necessary evil. Its just one of those things about our sport. Long term, you don't want to play on greens that haven't been aerated.

In the end, if it is a friendly round, extend the pick-up range and play with a bit of understanding. Outside of that it may help you as much as it hurts you.

this is one thing i absolutely hate. To me, i might as well just save 75% of the cost and go hit balls at the range

I agree with the frustration as I am newer player. The guys I play with explained to me that it is something that is part of it all. We played one course where my ball hopped like three times and veered off to the left as if it were a 5ft slope. I don't think that the course had experienced course maintenance because we played on another course and it was nicer and wasn't near as bad.

Depending on the course, yes. That said, mine seem to recover in a week or two, and it's absolutely a necessary evil.

Hold your breath and hope for a few nice days of weather!

I don't mind it because it's necessary. But 2 weeks ago I went out and had a tee time. No one told me that it would be like that and that kind of bugged me. It was my 1 round that week and it took away some enjoyment. But again I do understand that they need to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it needs to be done, so it doesnt bother me much. it would bother me to pay full price to play on aerated greens though. my course is switching to fall prices starting on aeration day.

Thank god I live in an area with tons of options

It's something that has to be done, so we learn to live with it.....what is really frustrating is when you go to a nice course...pay full price and then get to the first green only to find that they have been aerated and sanded!

I have had it happen a couple of times, one of them after complaining I was offered a comp round at a later date...the other didn't seem to care.

Im very fortunate to have many options in my area and we just call around and find a course that hasn't just aerated. But yes, very frustrating and a necessary evil.

Greens are being aerated today. I've got an 8:45 tee time on Sunday. I don't get to play often, so when the deal came threw for 50% off of greens fees, I couldn't pass it up. I'll blame my poor play on the greens. :banana:

Yup, avoid courses for a few weeks after they do that. At the very least they should offer you a discount on the round.
Do courses in Tejas have off season rates?

Up here, aeration occurs in spring or fall and the discounted rates take the sting out of playing on aeration.

I would be more frustrated if courses did not do it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

my course is closing one 9 today and one 9 tomorrow to aerate. New greenskeeper, wonder how big the punch holes will be.

I don't hate when courses get aerated because it has to happen. What pisses me off is when I book a round and I'm never informed about it till I reach the first green.

Do courses in Tejas have off season rates?

Up here, aeration occurs in spring or fall and the discounted rates take the sting out of playing on aeration.

Most courses here do not have seasonal rates, maybe some of the higher end resort courses do, but not the daily fee courses that I play anyway.

Yea, aerated greens are no fun, but aeration is not something that can be avoided.

It is something we have to live with if we want decent greens for the majority of the golf season. Our greens were done a couple of weeks ago, and still haven't recovered. They are bumpy and "hairy." Tough to get the ball to the hole and almost humorous watching the ball bouncing toward the cup.

I don't hate when courses get aerated because it has to happen. What pisses me off is when I book a round and I'm never informed about it till I reach the first green.
This. So much this. My course doesn't even send out emails saying one 9 or the other will be closed. You just show up and the 9th green looks like a sand box.

My home course sends out emails almost bi-weekly but not always but you get at least two weeks notice that they will be aerating the greens, our crews do a great job if they do the microstimp holes as I've heard guys call them they are barely noticeable performance wise after a day or two. If they do the bigger aerating holes they can take a week or so, either way I don't really mind, as a member my rounds are pre paid so if I want to play I will, and if I want to avoid the greens I have that option as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Course where I play fortunately just switched to the smaller punch holes so it wasn't as bad. Just put a 2 putt max rule in as another mentioned, pick up and move along once you hit the green. speeds up play anyway

Back