Playing With Arthritis...Shaft Options?

Longshanks

Long and Wrong
Reaction score
Handicap
9.4 MSGA
So, I'm old. It happens lol. I have arthritis and my hands are killing me after a round. I play a stiff shaft paired with Ping i210s. A question for my THP friends with arthritis, (or club fitter), will going to a regular flex graphite shaft be easier on the hands? What about softer feeling forged heads. Thanks!

Forging of heads doesnt necessarily mean softer, but in most cases it does not relive vibration. Have you tried graphite before? It can be easier on the joints for sure.

Forging of heads doesnt necessarily mean softer, but in most cases it does not relive vibration. Have you tried graphite before? It can be easier on the joints for sure.
Thanks JB. Yes, when I was a bit younger I was rocking a set of Callaways with the Recoil Prototype Xtra Stiff shafts. I absolutely loved them and is considering my next club refit to be all graphite, probably not the xstiff though. I'm only 58 and plan on playing for a few more decades, I want to keep the hands working right lol. I was asking about the forged heads because when I played forged irons, it was a softer feel of course. So, does not relieve vibration good to know...thanks man!

Thanks JB. Yes, when I was a bit younger I was rocking a set of Callaways with the Recoil Prototype Xtra Stiff shafts. I absolutely loved them and is considering my next club refit to be all graphite, probably not the xstiff though. I'm only 58 and plan on playing for a few more decades, I want to keep the hands working right lol. I was asking about the forged heads because when I played forged irons, it was a softer feel of course. So, does not relieve vibration good to know...thanks man!
Graphite has some bad misnomers out there including being for older golfers. The strongest and fastest swinging player on the PGA Tour plays graphite in all of his clubs.

I’ve got recoils in the irons and I soften them a bit to help alleviate the shock plus softer grips.

Maybe something like the Callaway Epic Forged Irons with Urethane Microspheres to absorb vibration.

I play these with a stiff Steelfiber shaft and get very little shock on miss hits (and I have plenty of them!!!)

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was actually checking out the Epic Forged irons recently...might be my next set. I didn't even consider different grips. This is why I love THP forums :)

Have you tried larger grips in midsize or jumbos? Maybe some extra wraps? It might make it easier to hold the club.

Recoil shafts & cp2 are the best combo

I have psoriatic arthritis & nothing comes close to that combination

Graphite has been easier on my hands and fingers. I’ve had arthritis before I started golfing. Certain steel shafts brought out the pain pretty easily. I haven’t had the same problem with graphite and I was a mat over concrete range rat. I’m playing a 115 gram graphite shaft with midsize grips now. There hasn’t been a hint of golf caused pain over the past month since I’ve had my graphite shafts. I’m not sure I’ll go back to steel.

UST Recoil SMACWraps have vibration attenuating material incorporated into the shaft. They were designed to lessen vibration from off enter hits even beyond what a standard Recoil graphite shaft would provide.

I just switched from Recoils to KBS PGI shafts and I really don't notice a difference vibration wise.
I am very happy so far.

Definitely think that a combination of graphite shafts and forged irons will make a big difference!

Recoil shafts & cp2 are the best combo

I have psoriatic arthritis & nothing comes close to that combination
Thanks! I'll look into this!!

Humira helps me. No clue on shaft help as I just got fit into X stiff iron shafts so will see. I have Rheumatoid at 38 and have for 10+ years 😔

I am 57 and switched to all graphite, except putter, shortly before my 50th birthday due to arthritis in my upper arms / shoulders. It certainly helped tremendously and I would be very hesitant to ever hit more than a handful of balls with steel shafted clubs again.

Humira helps me. No clue on shaft help as I just got fit into X stiff iron shafts so will see. I have Rheumatoid at 38 and have for 10+ years 😔
It gave me melanoma 3x - my dermatologist said that's enough:oops:

I struggled with tennis (golfers) elbow about 4 to 5 years ago. Switched to graphite Recoil shafts and I haven't had issues since.

I'd recommend giving it another try to see if it helps. I dont' think I'll ever go back to Steel.

Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies gentlemen.

Back