Please help me understand why this happened !!!!

D.Witt

Reaction score
For the past, as many years as I've been playing, I've been very inconsistent with my driver.. Just recently, I started moving mystery grip down, choking down on the club.. After that, the club seems so much more easier to control, I feel the head of the club more, and I have been absolutely dead aim since this... My distance seems to have suffered a little but I have no issues with the ball going where I want I to... Can you explain this? And is this abnormal to hear... Driver seems easier after choking down... No clue where to go from here....

Some have more control with shorter clubs. For example, many hit their PW more consistently than their 6 iron. While lot plays a role, length can as well.

I was constantly chocking down on my driver so I decided to cut it down and inch and it has helped my game a ton from the tee. When I play the stock shafts length nowadays my dives get a little crazy.

i haven't choked down on a driver but have played shorter lengths. Some 46" drivers i hit better than others but going with a 45 1/2" has worked better.

Okay... So I'm not doing something that's "odd"... I may consider trying shorter shafts for my driver.. What's the typical length of a standard driver ?

Okay... So I'm not doing something that's "odd"... I may consider trying shorter shafts for my driver.. What's the typical length of a standard driver ?

Varies by company. Some are 45" and others are upwards of 46+.

You haven't lost distance, you're realized your true distance. Your hitting it solid and the length coincides with center hits. Choking down has given yoy more control and found your ideal impact position. Meaning the length of the club as it extends from your arms combined with your swing are all ideal at this point.

Sergio chokes down on every club and always has. A lot of guys do it to gain more control. These are guys at the top level of our game. Weekend warriors will find choking down to allow for more consistent contact. Keep it up!

I was constantly chocking down on my driver so I decided to cut it down and inch and it has helped my game a ton from the tee. When I play the stock shafts length nowadays my dives get a little crazy.

Cutting my driver to 43-1/2" was the best golf move I ever made.

Shorter drivers are good. Pro's rarely game over 45" and those guys are sometimes really tall, plus way better ball strikers than us mortals. I used to use 45.75" and I've reduced to 45" - might go even less after I get fitted. Makes it easier to hit the sweet spot, and therefore realize your distance potential more often.

Just to throw out a semi-pointless number since we're not tour pros...I believe the average driver length on the pga tour is 44.5". I think the last thing I watched on Sergio said that he plays at 43". But with that, most driver lengths sold in stores are 45-46" these days.

I like to play around 44" in my driver. So no, what you're doing is not odd, in fact it's quite common.

Just to throw out a semi-pointless number since we're not tour pros...I believe the average driver length on the pga tour is 44.5". I think the last thing I watched on Sergio said that he plays at 43". But with that, most driver lengths sold in stores are 45-46" these days.

I like to play around 44" in my driver. So no, what you're doing is not odd, in fact it's quite common.

To be fair, they also don't struggle with distance at a shorter length either.

To be fair, they also don't struggle with distance at a shorter length either.

Nope, not at all. In fact quite the opposite for a lot of them.

Shortening your driver or chocking down is a great option for accuracy for sure. I would say 44.5" driver length would be the best suited for control and length as long as your not over 6 feet tall. That should help you quite a bit in both regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, not at all. In fact quite the opposite for a lot of them.

Hence the reason shortening is easy for them. For others, shortening and losing distance can be quite a hindrance. Tour Pros do a lot of things differently, but for some reason the idea that they shorten their driver means that everybody should is something that has been on forums forever.

I think it CAN help some golfers. Just as it can hurt others. Its important to find the right thing for each golfer. To give you an example, last year a tour pro moved to 46.5 from 44 and drove the ball better than he ever did. With that does not mean anybody should do that, just that it works for him.

ANd I say all this, not in response to your post as much as just pointing it out in this thread because it comes up each time a thread like this pops up.

Hence the reason shortening is easy for them. For others, shortening and losing distance can be quite a hindrance. Tour Pros do a lot of things differently, but for some reason the idea that they shorten their driver means that everybody should is something that has been on forums forever.

I think it CAN help some golfers. Just as it can hurt others. Its important to find the right thing for each golfer. To give you an example, last year a tour pro moved to 46.5 from 44 and drove the ball better than he ever did. With that does not mean anybody should do that, just that it works for him.

ANd I say all this, not in response to your post as much as just pointing it out in this thread because it comes up each time a thread like this pops up.

Absolutely agree, we're on the same page here completely. That's why I pointed out it was kind of a pointless stat to begin with, but just to reference it's not an "odd" thing to do as the OP asked.

According to Tom Wishon, a very respected club builder, no amateurs should be playing a driver longer than 44 inches. Most average players should be playing a driver with a playing length of 43.5 inches. I cut my own driver down to 44 and it has helped tremendously. More consistent contact gives you more distance than a longer driver with inconsistent contact. Furthermore, he believes that your next wood that you can hit reliably off the deck should be 1.5 inches shorter than the driver, and the next wood should be an inch shorter than that one. I have shortened all my woods and shortened my hybrid to match the iron it replaced. I fully recommend following these guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back