Preferred “Cartner” in competition round

brians

2023 GRANDADDY X (marks the spot)
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This was posted earlier in another thread regarding tournaments.
The question is:
What kind of cartner is everyone looking for to make their best performance?
I’m not talking about a team portion of an event where it’s a twosome etc.
The cartner I am talking about is in singles but you are sharing a cart with a teammate in their match.
Personality wise what brings out your best. Do you prefer your cart mate to be a high energy/emotional person that potentially elevates your game with their fist bumps after birdies etc. but if it’s going bad it shows too.
Or a more even keeled person where there’s no difference whether the ball is in the green or in the woods?

Let’s assume both are playing quickly and up the same score wise.

Like I said in the other thread, I'd prefer someone that was emotionally invested in the moment. What it means and why it's important to you and them. I could get along with any personality type, but I feel that edge is important to me in getting in the groove of competition.

The question is:
The cartner I am talking about is in singles but you are sharing a cart with a teammate in their match.
Personality wise what brings out your best. Do you prefer your cart mate to be a high energy/emotional person that potentially elevates your game with their fist bumps after birdies etc. but if it’s going bad it shows too.
Or a more even keeled person where there’s no difference whether the ball is in the green or in the woods?

I'm a big fan of the no difference in personality whether the ball is on the green or in the woods.

It don't matter. If it is competitive then I do what I do.

Great question.

My only singles at a THP Experience win in the MC last year with @lukemartin93 For this that don’t know he’s a doctor. Unflappable. He demeanor and steady voice helped me.

In the context of the Grandaddy…I hope to have a partner that embodies all that is THP. One who we help each other bring our shared experience to THP through our content and engagement with this from Callaway we are playing with.

For opponents in singles. I want to play in a group with the same collective energy.

Fortunately I don’t think either of those wishes will be hard to make happen given those participating in the Grandaddy.
Quoting myself to move this over here.

even keeled so i can be me i think

@jdtox was perfect for me. He’s was 100% focused on getting his job done and intense in it. That helped me stay focused on doing what I needed to do and kept me in the zone. I can be laughing & joking and having a great time but my play will suffer for sure. If I’m really looking to play my absolute best, I need that focused edge.

If I had to choose, I would say even keeled. Things are going to go poorly at some point and I want someone who isn't going to get down and out.

Someone that can give good advice, biting sarcasm and good stories...I actually played with them.

I like someone calm. I prefer listening to good music, each offering words of encouragement and understanding we aren’t professionals. The worst thing for me is trying to concentrate on my match while worried my cartner is going to blow a gasket and break a club. Riding around with a cartner amped up on the golf course like Macho Man Randy Savage is unsettling to me.
Oh Yeah GIF

I am pretty laid back and reserved myself, so I can work with just about anyone and what they want. I don’t need to talk the whole time, but I can.

Copy/Paste from my other answer

I would rather have the even keeled. Good or bad, just be the same. Having fun.
As a cartner, I want to emulate that. Bad shot? Laugh it off. Good Shot? Be stoked about it, but then it is time for the next one.

The question is:

I want someone with energy and emotion so long as the bad isn't too much. It's ok to be upset for a couple minutes but it's match play and you have more holes to go. You have to be able to move on and keep picking each other up.

Someone laid back. No angry, club throwers.

I’m a super even keeled person. But I am competitive. Not throwing clubs. Not pouting. But definitely want to win.

Personality wise? It’s really tough for me to not get along with someone.

I'll roll with anyone, I don't have a preference

I like a person that doesn't comment on how bad the lie is, they just give me Middle And Back of the green yardage and support whenever shot i choose, because i will rationalize my shot out loud and then create it

:unsure:
Hmmmm....I have no idea who I'd prefer to play with. Have to think about this for a bit

If we are teaming up, I like the steady eddy guy. @KY Golfer calmed me down so much after a rough morning last weekend and it flipped a switch for me for the rest of the time I was there.

In singles, I prefer someone who kind of just lets me do my thing. I don't need the pep talks or go get ems. I kind of just zone out and like to be left alone to do (or not do) my thing

I'm fine riding with anyone at all, but prefer someone who can crack jokes and keep me from getting too upset when I hit a bad shot.

I dunno. I've never been in a situation like that before. I haven't played in a golf competition.

A quiet encourager with an even keel.
No anger asaide from a short mumble/venting. No F bombs please. no club throwing.
No smoking, including cigars.
Other than a few questions, I'm not a big talker.

I can go either way. I like people who keep it light and have fun but also someone even keeled BUT will tell me to get my head out of my @ss when it's needed.
I was lucky I got to share a cart with @jdtox. He's calm cool and collected.

Back