Push cart etiquette

billyh

Goodwill Hunter
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
Tomorrow I’m going to be using a push cart for the first time and don’t know the “rules” or proper etiquette. Until now I’ve only ever ridden in a cart and never walked. So to not look like a complete turd I’d figure I’d ask here. What are the unwritten rules of where I can and can’t push it. I know greens are off limits but what about tee boxes? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Anywhere you can walk except the green, they are pretty low impact. I agree with Acesteve, probably stay our of ground under repair as well.

I am walking tomorrow for the first time in about 3 years. I remember liking the walk, just lazy, and avoid the crotch chaffe like crazy however I can.
I did find this stuff called chamois butter (designed for cyclists) and use it for work (wear a tuxedo) it works. Probably use it tomorrow to be safe.
Important to keep the cart where you need it. Good part is you can take the walking cart where the riding cart can’t go!

Walking is one of the aspects I find to be quite enjoyable about a round of golf. I’m PushCart Mafia.

No-go zones for the push cart are tee boxes, greens, sand, or ground under repair.

Remember to set the brake on hills.

I push cart every chance I get. Some of my golf buddies ride, then so do I. To be fair, these guys work their asses off all week (mechanic and plumber) while I sit in a chair.

...No-go zones for the push cart are tee boxes, greens, sand, or ground under repair.

^ That, exactly. And good reminder to set the brake on hills, unless you want everybody to have a good laugh as your bag rolls down the hill and turns into a yard sale! :LOL:

Walk everywhere... Except greens and generally aprons. No damage but people look at you funny to approaching the greens. Also I'd wear compressions or UA boxer jock to prevent the chafing. Walking up hills is easiest by splitting the elevation don't walk straight up. Be mindful of hills and uneven surfaces.

Not a rule, but will limit steps. Try to position the cart between green and tee of holes that way less steps. Also it the tee box is tucked back leave it and grab a club. Can do this of green is farther back than tee. All steps saved count, understanding the exercise is good.

9 is about 9-10k steps FYI

In most instances, it's pretty much the same rules as a riding cart. If a riding cart shouldn't be there, neither should a push cart. Let common sense prevail.

Also a push cart, like carrying, works well with playing ready golf.

^ That, exactly. And good reminder to set the brake on hills, unless you want everybody to have a good laugh as your bag rolls down the hill and turns into a yard sale! :LOL:
I can humbly say that I’ve watched my cart gently start rolling down the fairway without me...

I can humbly say that I’ve watched my cart gently start rolling down the fairway without me...
:ROFLMAO: Played with a guy 2 weeks ago, 3 times during the round, his cart was on an incline and cart tipped over. :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: Played with a guy 2 weeks ago, 3 times during the round, his cart was on an incline and cart tipped over. :ROFLMAO:
Once... okay... twice... seriously?! But the third time?! Haha

Tomorrow I’m going to be using a push cart for the first time and don’t know the “rules” or proper etiquette. Until now I’ve only ever ridden in a cart and never walked. So to not look like a complete turd I’d figure I’d ask here. What are the unwritten rules of where I can and can’t push it. I know greens are off limits but what about tee boxes? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

The tee boxes might be acceptable to some, but I still try to avoid them.

Take advantage of the cart and make sure you leave it between the green and the next tee box. You don't wanna be that guy running back for his cart every hole.

tee boxes fine. Greens NO. ground under repair- no
Tee boxes vary. The courses around here frown on push carts or stand bags on the tee boxes.

The tee boxes might be acceptable to some, but I still try to avoid them.

Take advantage of the cart and make sure you leave it between the green and the next tee box. You don't wanna be that guy running back for his cart every hole.

I agree with trying to keep the cart off tee boxes, long term it will help the tee boxes if everyone kept their carts off. As you are walking towards the green, think about the direction you will be heading to the next tee box and leave your cart in that area. That just helps you from having to back track and it saves you time and steps. Have great time while walking the course.

Tee boxes vary. The courses around here frown on push carts or stand bags on the tee boxes.
I think anything where a specific cut is made or is meant to look pristine just avoid. If someone or you would scratch your head at a person pushing there. Just avoid

For the most part I stay to no greens or bunkers.

tee boxes, I will roll on them unless told you front not to. No different than the fairways for the most part. In other parts of the world, they allow push carts or trolleys on the green as well due to 1) they do little to no damage on them and 2) they can actually help keep the greens smooth/running well. I don’t know the exact wording or science behind it, but if you’re smart about it (no turns or people always taking the same routes as others) then it doesn’t damage them.

It’s not written rule but here is my take on this

1. Tee box is ok as long as it’s behind the tee mark where it’s out of the site from your playing partner who is ready to hit.
2. No where near green. Not even on fringes.
3. To expedite playing speed. Move your push cart toward your next tee box before you putt or back of the green. I’ve seen so many people leave there cart front of the green and they walk slow to get the cart while people behind you are ready to hit. It’s annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay off the greens and out of traps, always park it between the hole and next tee box, and set the brake. Always. So it becomes habit. Bad things happen if you don’t make it second nature

Where I play the cart falls over all the time from the fierce winds

Walking is one of the aspects I find to be quite enjoyable about a round of golf. I’m PushCart Mafia.

No-go zones for the push cart are tee boxes, greens, sand, or ground under repair.

Agree with this ^^^^^^^

Back