Push cart etiquette

With my pull cart which weighs all of 5 lbs, I don't see a need to avoid tee boxes if it's not in my playing partners vision and obviously only crazy people would take them into sand ;)

So it looks like things haven't changed much from when I walked decades ago... with one of those 2 wheeled pull carts. So I'll do the same with my clic gear.

Another reason to set the brake is near water. Frequently ponds, lakes and streams are designed in for run off. If water will flow towards them, so will and unmanned cart. I’ve seen far too many times when a cart and bag go for a swim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a great thread topic especially with everyone walking and using more push carts

I didn't even think about this, but it's good to know for the future. I'm determined to join the push cart mafia soon this year.

3. To expedite playing speed. Move your push cart toward your next tee box before you putt or back of the green.
This is a good one too... I forgot about it. 👊

somehow I'm going to have to remember to set the brake. each time.

With my pull cart which weighs all of 5 lbs, I don't see a need to avoid tee boxes if it's not in my playing partners vision and obviously only crazy people would take them into sand ;)
Your cart may weigh all of 5 lbs., but your bag weighs another 5 or more empty. By the time you add clubs, balls and all the other paraphernalia you've got around a 40 lb. load. Tires are quite variable on push carts. So, the pounds per square inch can be quite significant.

Hmmm I've always brought my cart up on the tee box. Seems like a very common thing at our course but I'm going to try to be more considerate of that and leave it on the cart path now :)

To my mind, is almost the same as a cart. I wouldn't push them on greens, aprons, tee boxes but obviously bunkers and GUR as well. Over here it's frowned on really to have them up on tee boxes, but you can usually just park them on one side without any issues. A big recommendation is to be aware of leaving them on a slope, especiallly near water hazards. Apparently they can blow into water quite easily so I've heard :ROFLMAO:

Was just coming to post pretty much this ^

I have played some courses where they also say not to push them between a bunker and green (if the bunker is 10yds or so away from the edge of the green for example)
One of the main things to do is try to leave your bag between the green and next tee - there is nothing worse than everyone walking away from the back of the green whilst one of the group has to go back to the front of the green to get his clubs and then walk all the way round the green

Your cart may weigh all of 5 lbs., but your bag weighs another 5 or more empty. By the time you add clubs, balls and all the other paraphernalia you've got around a 40 lb. load. Tires are quite variable on push carts. So, the pounds per square inch can be quite significant.

indeed, my bag with everything in it probably weights 40lbs spread over 3 wheels about as wide as my feet. My 2 feet support 200 lbs so clearly far more pressure from me then my cart. Each course may have slightly different tee box layouts and course norms. Follow what you observe and do no harm to the course. Indeed push carts in sand traps would be a huge breach of norms and would harm the play ability of the trap for others.

Thank you all that have replied. I'll be out this morning at 10:45 to have a little fun.

No go: Greens and Bunkers (Ground under repair if marked but kinda weird)
Course dependent: Tee boxes and Fringe

Best Practices: Use the brake always when parking the cart. Dont let go of the cart going downhill unless you know what you're doing. Avoid soggy grass and mud. Uphill take a more direct angle so the cart doesnt tip over.

Make sure you put the handle the proper place for you. It should be basically effortless to move the cart and your hands in a neutral orientation. Having them too high or low will make pushing harder for no real advantage.

Lastly use common sense. If you can place your cart in between the green and next tee box do so. Have you hit the green and will be coming back on the next tee box? Bring your next tee club with you and so forth. If you have a sand bottle or ability to carry one full your divot and so forth.

Really just use common sense and you'll do fine.

Our tee boxes are quite firmly packed to say the least; if I noticed I was causing any damage, I would avoid it and I don't roll over the actually teeing area.

I generally avoid tee boxes unless it's out of the way to avoid them. But yup stick to the fringes as you circle around the greens and enjoy! Generally the pressure under a pushcart wheel is well under the pressure under your foot, so not too much to worry about (don't do weird turns or such around delicate areas).

somehow I'm going to have to remember to set the brake. each time.

Surprisingly easy to flick the lever on the cart and just every time you stop hit it and forget it. It is also a surprise that even though I do this each and every time i always try to push the cart with the brake engaged... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thank you all that have replied. I'll be out this morning at 10:45 to have a little fun.

Don't stress about where to go and where not to. easiest choice there is "thick" rough style grass you are mostly in the clear. if anything follow the others walking. Also dont forget to stretch the legs before and after.

I don't think it was asked or else I missed it? What type of cart? :sunmountain: or :clicgear: or :bagboy:?

unless it's a much older two wheel styled cart/trolley, a larger human (over 180) puts more pressure onto the ground than a push cart. The trouble is you get people who are ignorant or just don't care and make turns suddenly or they go through wet areas. Which I don't understand because I don't want my shoes getting all wet and messy so I avoid those more for me than the course haha.

I don't think it was asked or else I missed it? What type of cart? :sunmountain: or :clicgear: or :bagboy:?
Tour Gear 3 wheel with front swivel wheel from Academy Sports. It was the only thing I could find.

Surprisingly easy to flick the lever on the cart and just every time you stop hit it and forget it. It is also a surprise that even though I do this each and every time i always try to push the cart with the brake engaged... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Don't stress about where to go and where not to. easiest choice there is "thick" rough style grass you are mostly in the clear. if anything follow the others walking. Also dont forget to stretch the legs before and after.

I could easily see myself doing that.

Greens sand imo, no issue with tee boxes around here. Might be a course by course thing.

No greens or bunkers. Off to the side of tees. Stay in bounds. Use brake, face cart sidehill to keep from rolling, I have retrieved mine from swimming twice.

Lots of good stuff here. One note I have about a push cart is using an umbrella. First, the stretchy cords with the holder that come with most carts will pull apart at the plastic fastener with minimal force. Catch some wind and boom there goes the umbrella. It is also not always easy to use those cords to hold down the umbrella. I can tell you from experience that when an umbrella flies off a push cart and hits you, it can actually hurt. It is also comical trying to catch one tumbling in the wind.

Back