CONTEST Putter Names – The 2023 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been on this forum for any period of time, you have seen mention of the Grandaddy. The greatest amateur event ever created. The 2023 edition is coming and we have the captains and some participants, but need a full team and you could be one of them.

It is an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.

What’s Included

Airfare
Hotels
Club Fitting at ECPC
Full Bag of Callaway Equipment
Tour Callaway HQ
Meet R&D
Play Golf at Callaway
Play at One of the Finest Courses You Will Ever Step Foot On
In a Nutshell, Everything You Could Imagine
And so much more

jailbird

Yesterday on the Worst Golf Podcast we gave the info about this new contest and what would be expected. If you missed that show and want to make sure your entry qualifies, make sure to check it out here.

The Contest
Golf equipment naming can be both incredibly creative and rather dull. Be it the name of a specific club or line. With Odyssey on an absolute tear lately and bringing back the aptly named Jailbird in limited fashion after multiple wins including a major, this seemed like the perfect chance to have some naming fun.

We want to hear about your creativity so your job will be to conjure up the name of a putter or putter line. If you listened/watched the show linked above, you know the criteria. Then tell us in this thread what it is and why.

Qualifying
You must be a 2023 Albatross Club Member to enter. The club is open to anybody and helps benefit a wonderful charity. Details here.

How to Enter
Get creative and think up your name
1. Post in this thread the name you have come up with.
2. Tell us if it is for a putter line or just single putter
3. Explain why it works.

That is it. Then sit back and see if you get your ticket punched to the Grandaddy of em All!

Good luck everybody. This contest will remain open for about a week and then we will close the thread and announce the latest participant.

Continue reading...

Good luck everyone!!

What a great contest! Good luck all!

Im going to have to think on this 1

The Odyssey Patriot

This blade style putter arrives just in time to kick off Independence Day. Freedom isn’t free but The Patriot is sure to keep you free of 3 jacks much like our brave military men and women provide us freedom. With Red, White and Blue paint-fill throughout, The Patriot is sure to have you looking like a Real American on course. And just remember, Life without golf is much like a body without spirit.

Here we go!!! Man this one was kicked off with a bang on the first entry!!!

Can’t wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

The Odyssey Patriot

This blade style putter arrives just in time to kick off Independence Day. Freedom isn’t free but The Patriot is sure to keep you free of 3 jacks much like our brave military men and women provide us freedom. With Red, White and Blue paint-fill throughout, The Patriot is sure to have you looking like a Real American on course. And just remember, Life without golf is much like a body without spirit.
Damn, that's soooo good

Mine is a putter line. The line is called "Tiny Dancer". The reason for this is two fold, first off the green is sometimes known as the dance floor - so it makes sense that you bring your tiny dancer to the dance floor. Secondly, within the putter line, it now opens you up to a ton of opportunities to have fun and clever names for the individual putters themselves.

Example:

Hey pal, what putter is that?

Oh ... this one? It's the Tap Dancer from Odyssey's Tiny Dancer line.

Why's it called that?

Because, worst case the second putt is a tap in.

and /scene

The Odyssey Rake

Historically a rake was a man who was habituated to immoral conduct. They were also prodigal, wasting their (usually inherited) fortune on gambling, wine, women, and song, and incurring lavish debts in the process.

Sounds like a true Hacker to me!

The Rake is a putter line for the true internet golfer / wannabe professional. It features a blade style head and rake spikes on the trail edge. The colors and spike length vary by version, going from the classic black and white to customizable flair colors if you like.

The Odyssey Yūshū (Excellence in Japanese)

This would be one of multiple putters from the "Around the World" collection. Inspired by legendary golfers from their homelands.
Inspired by Japanese craftsmanship with a layer of urushi lacquer to the surface to ensure beauty and durability.

I believe this would work because it opens a window to the world by promoting a common goal/interest, golf. No matter your race or country of origin, golf has no boundaries.

The Closer.
Classic styling from Oddysey that you've come to see in the hands of Major Championship and PGA Tour winners - 7, Rossie, Jailbird, DW, and a brand new mallet, all with the return of the Micro-Hinge Star insert. Featuring a new black Stroke Lab shaft, multiple weighting options, and your choice of a brushed satin head with black alignment lines, or black finish with satin alignment, you will be able to frame the ball with ease and send it on target when your round counts.
Tour-proven head shapes.
Tour-proven insert.
Why putt with anything else? Close your round out like a champion.

Had some time to think while my daughter was in swim class yesterday.

The Putter Line I Came up with would be called D.R.I.P (Makers Series)

Dough-Maker
Ever heard Drive for show putt for dough?
Rain-Maker
You will be making so many putts that you will make it rain.
Ice-Maker
This will give you ice in your vains and confidence to be clutch
Play-Maker
Name speaks for itself

Then a Women(WMN) specific line:

Widow-Maker
Bring on the pressure and high stress putts
Money-Maker
Taking names and wallets with it
Noise- Maker
"Loud"/Colorful

1. Post in this thread the name you have come up with. TOM
2. Tell us if it is for a putter line or just single putter. Putter Line. Like the TOM 1, TOM 2 or just the TOM putter
3. Explain why it works. This name harkens back to Callaway's roots of naming gear after military equipment: Big Bertha, Tank putters, Warbird, etc. TOM is a nickname for a F14 Tomcat. Short and sweet, nothing contrived. "I really love the way I'm rolling the ball with my new Odyssey TOM putter." Side benefit is that one can can come up with some cool TOM headcovers. Big Block letters or a cammo design etc.- easy to see in ones bag or pick-up on TV. As for numbers there is precedent with Odyssey with TEN Series, ELEVEN and so on.

Odyssey Transformer line

Milled blade-type satin-nickle Autobots line

Paired with

Tech-forward angular stealth black mallet Decepticon line

Both with a new interchangeable putter shaft adapter.

Why? Because it would be awesome. Make a fantastic display at stores. Add collectability. Also, someone is going to make a putter shaft adapter at some point. Be the first.

Last edited:
The Odyssey "Dough Roller"

-drive for show but putt for Dough baby!
-made in both mallet and blade-variable sizes/types
-dancing "$" signs on the grip, maybe a small "$" as alignment on top line, fun headcover
-made for the weekend golfer/hacker that doesn't take themselves too seriously and likes to have fun on course
~$100 price point that will get a great brand in a hacker's hands without breaking the bank

The Odyssey PurePath putter line:

I tried to come up with a name that used a bit of alliteration (similar to their alignment tech with tru track and triple track), the tech story will be pretty easy to digest just based on the name, and it’s catchy enough to sell well with consumers.

The tech in this putter line will help golfers create a Pure putting stroke (reliable and smooth motion) with a consistent Path. I’ll leave how that is accomplished to the actual engineers at Callaway haha.

The Callaway ball alignment tech paired with the PurePath tech of this line would be a winning combo for all skill levels!

1. My putter would be called the Odyssey TruGlide.

2. This would be a single putter.

3. This name combines the concepts of truth and smooth movement, implying that the putter offers reliable and consistent performance with a forgiving touch.

The word "Glide" suggests a fluid and effortless motion, while "Tru" emphasizes its trustworthy nature. Together, "TruGlide" provides stability, reliability, and a seamless putting experience.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone this is a cool contest. I can’t wait to see the creativity on the names! it is the freaking Grandaddy let’s go!

Glad there is no word limit. My idea is a Macushla putter line. As Morgan Freeman said in a movie, “Seems there are Irish people everywhere or people who want to be.”

Macushla comes from the Irish phrase “mo chuisle” which literally means “my pulse” but has come to mean “sweetheart” or “my darling.” This is personal for me because it was a nickname I gave to my beloved Odyssey DF 990 that I have wrote about on THP.

Backstory: I had a grandmother that used to call me and my brother that when we were tiny. When I asked her about it as I was older, she didn’t know what it meant but heard it in an Irish song and thought it meant “darling.” Honestly, she didn’t even remember calling us that, but I did. I have an Irish name but more Cherokee than Irish in my bloodline, so it made sense for none of us to not speak Gaelic or know what it meant. It wasn’t until the movie, “Million Dollar Baby” came out that I heard the term again and researched enough to know she was correct.

My putter would be called the Widow Maker......it would be a mallet style with stylistic back flow wings that taper down close to the ground where you are able to pick up the ball, scoop method ya know. Larger front with milled insert and adjustable weighting on the underside for those that want to try and have a heavier weight in the toe to offset your sloppy sweeping putter stroke. The Widow Maker will come with the wider pool noodle grip for a more straighter through the ball path and you will make more putts because of the ability to keep it on line longer.

You will want to play more golf and be gone so much, she will be a golf widow for sure......or a true one. Sink More - Play more ..... get ya some!

Last edited:
Name : Billy (after Billy baroo)
Putter style : a Tri- Hot 5k version of an 8802
Single: putter
How it works: Tri-Hot 5k, comes with a hat.

Odyssey End Over End

Watch your putt roll end over end into the hole!

This putter uses new technology to get your ball started on the right line rolling end over end eliminating bouncing, back spin, or lofting the ball. Roll your putts end over end!

Odyssey Homer

In paying tribute both to the poet Homer (the man behind the epic Odyssey) and to the great American pastime, baseball, the Odyssey Homer gives nods to Odyssey's roots, while still staying modern in its approach. This putter line will utilize the White Hot OG IS insert in commemoration of the marble statues that so many Greek poets and philosophers are immortalized in with an etch of Homer on the toe end of the face. The headcover will be available in either brown or black baseball glove leather with red stitching similar to that of a baseball. Greece and baseball... what's not to love?

Mine would be a whole line called the ELY line.

Taking on the name of Ely Callaway himself. These putters would be tech forward but harken back to the hickory clubs he saw that got him into the golf business.

The putters would have classic looks, but technology to perform with today's best putters. The line would be built for custom fittings with ELY standing for

Energy - your choice of insert or milling for the amount of energy produced on your putts. Do you like a super hot insert or are you more a feel player?

Line - your choice of alignment aides triple track, traditional alignment single line, or even no alignment if that's your game

Yaw - controls the amount of twist and deviation from your putting line with adjustable weights, shaft options, and head shapes.

Last edited:
Back