Putting A Callaway Optifit Adapter On A Shaft?

If your shaft has a grip on it you need to poke a hole in the tape as well as making sure the hole in the tip end is fully drilled through the epoxy.

It is a great video, but something's going awry with my attempts. It acts just like epoxy and/or air is getting trapped between the end of the shaft and the bottom of the adapter. I kid you not: By leaning on the shaft hard enough, with the screw for the shaft adaptor on the floor, I can get it to seat all the way. As soon as I let up: I moves back out again. Think "shock absorber."

It is a great video, but something's going awry with my attempts. It acts just like epoxy and/or air is getting trapped between the end of the shaft and the bottom of the adapter. I kid you not: By leaning on the shaft hard enough, with the screw for the shaft adaptor on the floor, I can get it to seat all the way. As soon as I let up: I moves back out again. Think "shock absorber."
Air has to be able to escape. Make sure as posted above grip has air that can escape and tip is not filled with epoxy.

That would explain it, of course. I understood what was happening--didn't understand how it couldn't happen. The fact that there's supposed to be free airflow through the shaft explains it. Duh.

I'll give it another try. I'm kind of committed, now. I inadvisedly slipped the adapter back on the shaft. I guess I must've missed on the cleanup, because the ferrule is apparently there to stay.

Thanks for the additional guidance and all y'all's patience, guys.

Last edited:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ $38 seems to be the normal going price for the adapters and $20 labor, for what's involved in installing one on a shaft, does not seem excessive to me. But, since it's easy enough to do, and I can do two of them for less than what the LGS would charge me for one, that's what I'll do.

I'm reasonably handy with tools. As Red Green says: "If women don't find your handsome, they should at least find you handy." :)

I’d settle for women just finding me. I’ll take my chances from there.

Tah dah!

IMG_1947-18pct.JPG

banana.gif

I had to drill a good long ways to hit air. Pretty much up to the ferrule.

Yes, there is a very small gap, less than the thickness of a fingernail, between the ferrule and the adapter. Not certain why that is, because they had been flush in the dry fit. But it is what it is. The adapter won't move any farther (to make sure: I put the tip on the floor and leaned on the shaft pretty hard) and, as I said, that ferrule wasn't going anywhere.

Please tell me that's not some kind of problem that my obviously impaired intellect isn't grasping. Please, please, please?

Last edited:
Tah dah!

IMG_1947-18pct.JPG

banana.gif

I had to drill a good long ways to hit air. Pretty much up to the ferrule.

Yes, there is a very small gap, less than the thickness of a fingernail, between the ferrule and the adapter. Not certain why that is, because they had been flush in the dry fit. But it is what it is. The adapter won't move any farther (to make sure: I put the tip on the floor and leaned on the shaft pretty hard) and, as I said, that ferrule wasn't going anywhere.

Please tell me that's not some kind of problem that my obviously impaired intellect isn't grasping. Please, please, please?

No issues. Looks good my internet golfing friend! 👍👍

Thanks, @Smiter! Now I'll be able to sleep tonight :ROFLMAO:

Back