RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
I see this situation all the time. Someone has a 5-7 foot putt for par and makes a good stroke and makes a reasonable number of them. Now make that a 5-7 foot birdie putt and everything changes. I know personally, I miss more of them than I do par putts. How about you???

I don't let (or try not to) a birdie putt affect me any more than if I was putting for par, or bogey or worse for that matter.

I only try to make a good stroke. On the green I try to make every putt I take, wether it be a 60 footer or 6 footer or 1 foot putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, I don't think nerves matter that much between a birdie vs. par putt. I do think that if I make a par putt more often it may be because I'm grinding and really locked in trying to save par so I may be more focused. Part of the challenge of playing good golf is to bring that focus all the time.

I don’t think I have a different approach when it comes to par-putts. Same routine, same line-up, same practice strokes... It might be the fact putting is one of the stronger areas of my game.

Either the ball goes in or it does not. If it does not, then my line, stroke, or pace was off.

Sounds to me like you need a routine to clear your mind and to quit putting so much pressure on yourself in these situations. No one shot will make or break your entire round.

This is the one thing Dave Stockton teaches that i love. Have a routine for every single putt, no matter the length and no matter what its for. Like free throws, develop a routine so that you are focusing on something other than the severity of the putt

I don't think my make percentage changes from that distance whether it's for birdie, par, bogey,etc.mimtry to treat them all the same

The distance is the key for me, i think my percentage is the same regardless of what the putt is for, one stroke at a time and figure it out after the hole

This is the one thing Dave Stockton teaches that i love. Have a routine for every single putt, no matter the length and no matter what its for. Like free throws, develop a routine so that you are focusing on something other than the severity of the putt

Yep, I think this is the key. Having a great routine and eliminating as many variables as possible makes putting much easier.

I find it easier to make 4-10 foot par putts than I do birdie putts. Putting is something that I'm always trying to improve but like the full swing, confidence plays a big part.

Maybe I used to. But creating a routine, and following it for every single putt outside of 1 foot helped a lot.

~Rock

Routine, routine, routine.....helped me so much this last year having a good one I am confident in, miss or make.

Chipping on the other hand, I have got to nail that one down. I am all over the place on my routine.

I dont think it is nerves for me. It's more of a focus issue. When I have a putt like that for par, I tend to buckle down and get the job done a little more, whereas a birdie make feels more like a bonus.

This, I have looked at putting differently since reading his book, it teaches you to develop a routine, be quick and confident. Sticking to a routine and being concise (don't labor) seem to make those knee knockers a little more bearable.

I have the putting nerves on every putt. I am still trying to find a way to get them out of my head. I am not a strong putter.

I'm usually pretty calm with my putting. I try to not make a big deal and just line it up and putt.

I see this situation all the time. Someone has a 5-7 foot putt for par and makes a good stroke and makes a reasonable number of them. Now make that a 5-7 foot birdie putt and everything changes. I know personally, I miss more of them than I do par putts. How about you???

Im right with you on this. So many sunk putts for bogey or worse but those same exact ones for birdie...not so much. I here ya
But now imagine doing that with a thousand spectators, tv cameras, etc... Oooofa!

Zen Putting by Dr. Joe Parent is an excellent read and offers strategies for getting out of your own way and creating a great routine. Mental game help along with practice help will get you to where eagle putts are the same as a tap in for par.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

I dont think it is nerves for me. It's more of a focus issue. When I have a putt like that for par, I tend to buckle down and get the job done a little more, whereas a birdie make feels more like a bonus.

This is me as well. I think deep down I'm too satisfied with "par" to give birdie putts everything they need to be made.

For me, I tend to rush myself wanting to get out of the way. I need to make sure I take enough time to line up and make a smooth stroke at least.

I'm the exact opposite in some regards. I tend to miss the 6 footers for bogey way more than par or birdie. I mind eff myself worrying about the double.

I usually choke it 3 feet short for birdies, then scream it 5 feet past for par, and then lip it in for bogey. Yes, putting nerves get to me.

I dont take a long time with my putts. I do have a routine but it is short and sweet. I do most of my reading of the green when other players are putting. If I take longer then I start to think too much about the putt.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Could it also be that maybe it's a mental thing. Not a lot of 5-7 ft birdie opportunities + added pressure of said birdie opportunity = overthinking and poor stroke? Just a thought. I try to treat a birdie like any other putt but there is definitely more adrenaline over one for me personally.

I don't have stats to know for sure, but I'd guess that I'm more likely to make a 5-7 foot putt for birdie (or par) than I am a 3-5 foot putt. The difference is that I don't expect to make the longer putt, so the nerves don't get to me as badly.

Back