Putting Spin On The Ball Around The Green

spaceace414

Reaction score
Handicap
I tend to be more of a sweeper of the ball thus not getting a lot of spin on the ball. I am taking a lesson with my good friend on Monday who is a PGA Teaching Pro and that is one thing we are going to work on.

With that said, I watched some YouTube videos earlier in the week about putting spin on the ball. One video mentioned about lifting your back heel thus creating more of a downward motion with your wedge and thus spinning the ball more. I played on Monday and tried this and it actually worked! I did not try it from longer shots (not sure if you are even supposed to do it from far out) but did use it on shots from 50 yards and in. Sometimes my ball was checking up too soon...so this will be a work in progress. But it was nice to see some actual spin on the ball.

Is this a method that you use to spin close to the green?

Never never heard of this method. I just try to get ball first and cut off my follow through.

Never knew of this technique. I'm a sweeper as well so I think I'll give this a go.

During The Open, I noticed Lee Westwood was doing something similar on the range. He was resting the heel of his right foot on a raised bit of wood.

I sort of do that. A quick chipping lesson from a club maker that knows a thing or two about wedges and next thing i know im generating a lot more spin than i had been. He gave me a couple quick tips: Stance slightly open to the target, feet close together, weight forward and the leading edge is the enemy.

It sounds like another method of keeping your weight forward.

I've never heard of that either. A steeper swing should put more spin on the ball provided you hit ball first. I get plenty of spin around the green just hitting ball first with a forward leaning shaft angle.

Lifting the right heel is part of a drill I do to ensure I have most of my weight over my left(lead) leg. Has really helped me get more consistent contact on the ball and greatly improved my chipping and pitching game.

Raising the rear heel to keep weight on the front is a good drill - I believe the key to spin is clean, direct ball contact (as well as speed) - and this helps. Getting steeper can mean digging with low bounce wedges after you hit the ball - just be aware.

If I have a decent lie on shorter shots within 30 yards that I want to launch low to medium, I will start with more weight on the front foot, keep it there and increase it on the way down. Not that much time to transfer weight for a clean hit.

I saw a segment on Golf Channel with Padraig Harrington, he said he will lift his back heel when he steps in at set up, to keep his weight forward.

It sounds like another method of keeping your weight forward.

That's pretty much what I try to do, Borss. I'm sure there's more than one way to skin the cat, but I don't find myself having enough time to try and figure out another way to do it

Raising the rear heel to keep weight on the front is a good drill - I believe the key to spin is clean, direct ball contact (as well as speed) - and this helps. Getting steeper can mean digging with low bounce wedges after you hit the ball - just be aware.

If I have a decent lie on shorter shots within 30 yards that I want to launch low to medium, I will start with more weight on the front foot, keep it there and increase it on the way down. Not that much time to transfer weight for a clean hit.

Opening up a sand or lob wedge to utilize the bounce will help avoid digging. I always check the lie too. If you're against the grain it's nearly impossible not to dig and easy to punch the ball too low with no spin. I usually try a different shot then.

i notice that i get the most spin when i keep the shaft relatively vertical at impact (or maybe just slightly leaning toward target), with an inside-out path. that seems to engage the bounce well, and the ball stops very quickly.

Several here need to read up on spin loft. Hitting down on the ball does not mean more spin, though it can if other dynamics of the swing change. You just want to increase the angle between the attack angle and the loft. If you hit down too much you deloft the club and decrease the spin. But if doing so means you hit the ball first, you could increase spin compared to whatever your normal swing is.

http://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-loft/

The easiest way is to use the bounce of the club. Try to get a pretty neutral angle of attack while presenting all the loft of the club (or close to it).

C.a.eleric's method is what I do. This is been posted before here more than once, but worth a refresher:

I recently saw a good piece describing that the best tour pros preferably use a shallow attack when pitching and chipping to pinch the ball from good lies. You still hit the ball first, and descending, but should not be steep or taking a divot. The shallow attack helps with most consistent clean contact in the middle of the face, and properly uses both the bounce and loft on the club to generate spin. Aside from special circumstances (bad lies) steep does not necessarily lead to more spin, and usually less consistent. Long and low = results.

I was under the impression that you really didn't have to hit down but just have clean contact. Maybe I'm wrong!

I think it's a balance, depending on your issue. For guys who fat the ball, picking up the right heel can help promote a descending blow. From looking at the range, the most common cause for fatting is too much use of arms, not enough of body. If the ball is within 30 yds of the green, a big weight shift may not work - not enough time to get on the front foot - so keep more weight on front foot throughout the shot.

For me, when I first get to the range, my arms want to go wild, being cooped up with a computer all day long. I've got to practice body first, arms last. My issue - golf issue - is too steep. I want shallow and 30 degree launch on pitches. Have not found shallow yet other than attempting no lag on these shots. Also attempting more body mass behind the ball - it's a split second thing - feel as if back to the ball slightly more - it's a feel.

I sort of do that. A quick chipping lesson from a club maker that knows a thing or two about wedges and next thing i know im generating a lot more spin than i had been. He gave me a couple quick tips: Stance slightly open to the target, feet close together, weight forward and the leading edge is the enemy.
Hey I know that guy!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what method I use for spin closer to the green, other than I know it was taught to me, over two lessons, last year as part of my Legacy tournament prep. I took really good notes that lesson, so when things get a little wayword or just not going well, I can read the notes, get out two alignment sticks, and practice like I did the first day it was taught to me. Works every time.

~Rock

Spin loft is what you need to generate spin. its the difference between how much you hit down and the loft you present. when you see the pro's hit that low spinning pitch they have lots of loft some even open the face.

How about just leaning on the lead leg. The right doesn't need to be off the ground to a have this.

How about just leaning on the lead leg. The right doesn't need to be off the ground to a have this.

Weight forward, slight shaft lean, clean contact.... Should do it right?

Weight forward, slight shaft lean, clean contact.... Should do it right?

Every time, just make sure you find out where your club bottoms outs by using practice swings.

Every time, just make sure you find out where your club bottoms outs by using practice swings.

But not too many.... Pace of play!
AND once to find the bottom, repeating that swing!

But not too many.... Pace of play!
AND once to find the bottom, repeating that swing!

The ball should be positioned just in front of the bottom. This ensures a crisp strike and proper use of the bounce

Back