Putting Woes.....

Yahash

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have used the same putter for a long time. I have been to a fitting and told that my swing and the putter align great (no need to change). That is when I was putting around a 7-9 HCP in Arccos.
As of the last 6 months, I just can't putt anymore(20-30+ hcp). I am using the same method, same putter. I did change balls, but my woes began before the change from TM Tour Pref X to TP5x (which is a lot hotter on the putter).

My question is this... when faced with this kind of slump, do you go hunting for new hardware? I have only had a few lessons on putting, and my pro is an Aim Point style instructor for sure.

Bad habits are around every turn in golf. It could be an easy fix or a complete over haul. I’d try to get back to what worked. A new putter can usually help but a good session with old hardware can also turn things around.

So I have used the same putter for a long time. I have been to a fitting and told that my swing and the putter align great (no need to change). That is when I was putting around a 7-9 HCP in Arccos.
As of the last 6 months, I just can't putt anymore(20-30+ hcp). I am using the same method, same putter. I did change balls, but my woes began before the change from TM Tour Pref X to TP5x (which is a lot hotter on the putter).

My question is this... when faced with this kind of slump, do you go hunting for new hardware? I have only had a few lessons on putting, and my pro is an Aim Point style instructor for sure.
Anything that gets me out of a slump is worth the "slump buster" change imo

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Bad habits are around every turn in golf. It could be an easy fix or a complete over haul. I’d try to get back to what worked. A new putter can usually help but a good session with old hardware can also turn things around.

This may be the route I go. Not to mention it’s cheaper than a new shiny ;).

This may not work at all for you but whenever I’m looking to reset my putting, I grab an old right handed putter (I’m a lefty) and putt lead hand low. Basically it’s the same grip just from the other side. It really resets my brain. You don’t need anything fancy any putter will do. I use and old Yes Nicky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I rethink all of my fundamentals, get a lesson, get on SAM... Let's face it, most of us can't see what's wrong, but video can, and a pro and video are priceless. Also, putting is very mental - if you have confidence, you putt better, but you still need good fundamentals.

As to putter, we change physically. Make sure you are aiming it where you think you are, and the weight is still what you need for distance control. An Edel fitting, done thoroughly, opens your eyes.

Last edited:
IMO relying on a putter change is a fool's errand. The putter worked before. It's unlikely to be the thing that changed (unless you wrapped it around a tree.) Does that make sense?

In my experience every time my putting goes south it's me, not the putter. My tendencies are moving my head during the stroke. Getting sloppy with my alignment or set up. Not practicing enough to maintain my distance control. Not analyzing the putt before me enough to properly read the break. It's all me.

Here is where I start when things go south.

I start with figuring out SPECIFICALLY what is going wrong. Am I consistently starting the putt on the intended line or not? Am I consistently putting 12-18 inches beyond the hole or not? If it's not one of these then it's misreading the break. Once I know which of these three are going wrong it's much easier to find the root cause, because there are only a few things in each of these categories to check.

I'd probably look to take a lesson from a pro who specializes in putting - which led me to the SeeMore SPi certified pros. It was an eye-opening experience for me how much a small change in setup & technique made a huge difference in accuracy. And it's pretty easy for some poor mechanics to slip back into my swing unless I practice fundamentals consistently.

Try contacting SeeMore for a list of the nearest SPi pro.

You said "my pro is an Aim Point style instructor for sure." I thought that was a technique for reading greens. Is there a putting mechanics aspect to Aimpoint?

I’m in the same boat as you right now. Putting has always been something I didn’t worry about much I love my putter and putt well with it. Here lately it’s been a mixed bag at best. I seem lost with it in my hands not a good feeling and the first thing I thought was a new putter might be the trick. I’d rather work and practice a little which, putting is something I practice very rarely, so I have to put a little work and maybe a putting lesson with my pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what finally got me out a putting funk this year. I had a brutal bad habit creep in that lasted most of the season. Fortunately I figured it out at the end with some help from THP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My putting absolutely disappeared for about 2 years - it "felt" like I was putting the same, but I had developed a bunch of bad habits over time that all came to a head. I had a fitting/instruction setting and it made all the difference.

Even if you don't have an instructor to look at your stroke, do you have someone who knows your game that could see if they can see what you're doing on misses?

IMO relying on a putter change is a fool's errand. The putter worked before. It's unlikely to be the thing that changed (unless you wrapped it around a tree.) Does that make sense?

In my experience every time my putting goes south it's me, not the putter. My tendencies are moving my head during the stroke. Getting sloppy with my alignment or set up. Not practicing enough to maintain my distance control. Not analyzing the putt before me enough to properly read the break. It's all me.

Here is where I start when things go south.

I start with figuring out SPECIFICALLY what is going wrong. Am I consistently starting the putt on the intended line or not? Am I consistently putting 12-18 inches beyond the hole or not? If it's not one of these then it's misreading the break. Once I know which of these three are going wrong it's much easier to find the root cause, because there are only a few things in each of these categories to check.

Well it’s all but reading. I misread about the same and most of that is due to not walking around the hole to make sure I am seeing things correctly. My distance control is beyond awe full, and I am striking the ball with an inconsistent face angle (open and closed).

Thanks for the feedback, maybe me think more about what the issues are and where to address them.

SO a follow-up... I spent a lot of time just trying to get back to basics with my putting. My last round i was hot again!!!! most importantly I have been working on distance control, as that is what kills me more than anything else. That seems to be paying off. (still the same putter)... :)

Back