Question about handicap etiquette

Andrew808

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you post your round scores to GHIN no matter how bad your round went or do you let one or two slide? For example, I shot a 102 today. It was one of those days where I didn’t even play that bad but virtually every drive found water or sand. Hey that’s the way it bounces sometimes.

Anyways, I was thinking of just not posting my score since this seemed like a fluky round where just nothing went right but not sure if this is considered a breach of golf etiquette or not?

I post every score that meets all the qualifications. The way handicap is calculated takes into account the fact that you have bad rounds here and there so no reason to exclude those scores.

I post them all because in the end they will even out. A handicap is a gauge of our potential and not necessarily how good we are imo. I’m a 10, but can put up a mod to high 90’s score with the best of them if my game is off

I post everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Post them all. Under the old system it most likely wouldn’t have been used anyway. Not quite sure how the new system will use the higher scores.

If you played by the rules, post it. No sense in leaving it out. Your handicap is like a magical mirror anyway - always shows you at your best. Only way that image becomes untrue is if you start picking and choosing which scores you want to contribute to it.

Post it. I shot 101 in June as an 11; i posted it on my hcp tracker as a 96 after ESC. The score is just as real as the 77 I shot in August. You need to post all scores that you can to have a real hcp

Thanks for the input everyone, I posted it

If you played by the rules, post it. No sense in leaving it out. Your handicap is like a magical mirror anyway - always shows you at your best. Only way that image becomes untrue is if you start picking and choosing which scores you want to contribute to it.
I try to play by the rules to the best of my knowledge of them. But it was pretty tough posting that 9 on the last hole of the day where I had a 20 yard pitch shot to get over the steep incline to the green and it landed 19 yards and rolled back down 4 times!!

And you're aware of the new net double bogey that replaces ESC and limits unusually high scores, right? Cause that 9 was more likely a 7 or 8 if your listed handicap is accurate.

Thanks for the input everyone, I posted it

I try to play by the rules to the best of my knowledge of them. But it was pretty tough posting that 9 on the last hole of the day where I had a 20 yard pitch shot to get over the steep incline to the green and it landed 19 yards and rolled back down 4 times!!
That is rough. Just ask Sergio Garcia!

Only time I don't post a score is if I am working on something in my game and I am out solo hitting different shots or trying a couple of different approaches from the same place. In those cases, I am not keeping score anyways. Otherwise, it goes in.

Last edited:
And you're aware of the new net double bogey that replaces ESC and limits unusually high scores, right? Cause that 9 was more likely a 7 or 8 if your listed handicap is accurate.

That is really my only question of keeping score now. This means that I have to play every round of golf with my handicap?

As a 4, the 4 hardest holes would be triple bogey, and then all the other holes would just be a double max?

Actually I know nothing about that, I'll have to do some research.

GHIN showed my current handicap as 16.8 when I logged in to post my latest score but I don't update it on here because I'm pretty new to posting scores so figure there will be lots of fluctuations until I get more rounds put in. Currently only have 10 rounds posted...

Do you post your round scores to GHIN no matter how bad your round went or do you let one or two slide? For example, I shot a 102 today. It was one of those days where I didn’t even play that bad but virtually every drive found water or sand. Hey that’s the way it bounces sometimes.

Anyways, I was thinking of just not posting my score since this seemed like a fluky round where just nothing went right but not sure if this is considered a breach of golf etiquette or not?
I personally always post. May as well, it's supposed to be relevant to how you play.

That's why we only take 8 of 20.

Guys with a bragging handicap tend to only post their best scores, claiming the high scores are "practice rounds"
Guys with a betting handicap try not to post low scores and, or, sometimes sabotage the score of their round by intentionally missing putts.
Neither the bragger or the bettor has an accurate handicap. To have a true handicap index all scores must be posted.

I post them all that meet the qualifications for posting.

I use a phone app for fun and keep track of number of rounds, didn't realize the esc had changed: now the app reads (for a par 72) Holes with stroke index from 1-9, the max score is +3. For other holes the max score is +2. I also play a par 68, that changes the ESC to holes 1-14 max +3, the rest +2
Thanks

I post all rounds that qualify for HCP

Post all qualifying rounds. and the only solace i get after a bad round is maybe i'll get an extra stoke in the next competition.

Post it if you played by the rules of golf. I play so many rounds outside the ROG that I probably only post half of mine. Most are due to playing goat tracks and refusing to hit off of bare earth in a FW, thus improving my lie.

Lots of others are by playing combo tees, there’s a couple area courses that I play a combo setup due to many factors, mostly because I usually play what my playing partners are playing except on short 4’s that I’d have to either wait for a green to clear or play the championship tees and not be able to reach. I’ll usually move back on those holes to avoid pointless waiting.

One course in particular, hole 10 is a 220 yard 3 from the tips. It’s my favorite hole that I play frequently and even if playing the one ups, I always play that from the tips because you tee off on a cliff.

I guess I mainly play for the fun of it anymore but anytime I play a round by the ROG, I post it. Be it a 72 or a 102.

Yep i would post it. I dont play as often as i like so i need to post as many scores as i can.

If I play, I post.

For the handicap system to work optimally, I feel you have to enter every score. Some of the outlier score this year will be modified for conditions which should help. I must add, I'd rather someone left out a high score than hold onto all their low scores until the end of the year to improve their chances of winning matches (actually happened at our course)

Last edited:
I try to post every score, but will occasionally forgot a round or 2. My goal is to get every round logged in 2020.

Back