Question: Why are Dark Irons Desired?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The recent trend (not so recent) of dark or black finished irons being desired got me thinking this morning about why? Not as in “why would anybody want that”, but a bit deeper thought on it. Super minimalistic clean irons come out in chrome and the responses are “those are sexy” or in satin with similar thoughts.

Yet the dark finished seems very popular online. Is it the near unicorn to have one that doesn’t wear (outside of DBM)? Is it the slimming effect? Thought it would be an interesting discussion to hear not only if its a preference, but what it is about them that makes it a preference.

There is just something artistic about dark chrome or black irons. It may be just that they are different from chrome, or that they look more expensive. (I play chrome) They do look fantastic when matched with black shafts. I'm waiting for the day when clubs can be custom finished in many colors, red, blue, green as well as the chrome and black. But I would think that keeping that many options would be difficult for retail golf stores, let alone pro shops, to stock.

Some of us just like to be different.

I just like the sleek look, they look unique compared to the standard irons

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me it’s the “glare” that it eliminates and they look more compact at address.

• Admin
For me it’s the “glare” that it eliminates and they look more compact at address.

Is there a lot of glare on satin finishes? I’m asking genuinely, as I have not really encountered that. Chrome for sure.

this would be my only reason. I have had some shots lately where the glare was pretty bad

Is there a lot of glare on satin finishes? I’m asking genuinely, as I have not really encountered that. Chrome for sure.

On some sets here there was. Trying to think back bc I do remember some. Not as much as chrome though.

• Admin
On some sets here there was. Trying to think back bc I do remember some. Not as much as chrome though.

THere are definitely some that do it better, that is for sure.

Well for putters is pretty typical to have black finishes, for the same general reasons that I think apply to irons. There are mine:
-less glare
-good contrast
-slimming
-looks good

In the case of irons black finishes are more rare and harder to make last, so I think a good DBM finish has added desirability.

Although I've never played them in irons, I had played RTG wedges for years and presently play black Fourteen RM-22 and PM Grind wedges.

Love how they frame the ball. So although I've never targeted black irons, I could see myself doing so in the future.

FWIW, I also prefer dark putters. Guess I just appreciate the contrast with the ball.

Interesting question. I like the clean look. I live in a sunny, higher elevation location. I have never experienced any issues. I also like having my speciality wedges in a different finish; easier to quickly filter for a selection. So if I went with dirty irons, I might have to go with clean wedges I suppose.

I don’t get it and don’t like it. I almost never see black clubs in the wild either.

Sooo..... I just picked up a set of black irons and feel that I see the ball better sitting at address with the black than with a chrome iron.

I'm sure it's all mind games but I felt I was able to concentrate on the ball better.

I kind of liken it to cars in the early 20 century. A car used to be only offered in black. Once different finishes were introduced it was almost like a status symbol to have a white or yellow or red car.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see other finishes at some point. Seems like a logical direction (especially with the prices some of these clubs are coming in at).

Always been a fan of the chrome look. I have ventured into dark clubs but always go back to the chromeys.

I would probably do it for glare. That’s why I went with black in my wedges. Irons usually aren’t to bad on glare, but I’ve seen a little if it’s very sunny out.

It's purely because they are different. If black was the norm I think we'd see people go gaga over Chrome.

I think they look good because they seem sleek and stealthy. The wear they get is a problem for me though.

i don’t really know. but i love it. maybe because it’s a little different than the norm, so your equipment can pop against others’ bags. maybe it’s the slimming effect. it just looks mean and i like that.

I don't have a good answer other than that I think the black just looks better to me. I can't say that it looks slimmer to my eye. At the end of the day though, the typical black iron doesn't wear as well.

But, if I was going for ultimate cool factor, I'd go with a raw set and let that rust take over.

I have never been a fan of black irons, have always loved the clean look of chrome or brushed. But I went black with the JAWS MD5 wedge ... just thought the color looked really good.

I think mostly because they are new and different. Must admit if they made the MP20s in Mizuno Blue, I’d have already ordered them. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think It's just a different look than all the shiny ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've always understood it as simply as it's something different. Whenever I get a client who sends me a set of irons it's always "make it unique." I understand that unique can come from all different directions, but no one asks me to make their clubs more silver and shiny.

I firmly believe that is the extent of it for most. It is for me

Back