Questions on launch monitor findings

mshepard

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys, went into the local Dicks to get a driver regripped. Ended up hitting my current driver (xr16 pro w/ hzrdus yellow 76g 6.0) to see how the numbers looked. Hit all the other brands as well just for kicks. The launch monitor they have is ancient, but I wanted to post the numbers to get some questions answered.

Hit about 7 shots after warming up
SS MPH LA SMASH SPIN CARRY
98.6 17.0 1.43 2197 236
99.2 19.2 1.48 2028 251
99.1 19.9 1.48 1959 252
100.1 18.9 1.45 2116 246
96.9 18.8 1.49 2008 247
100.2 19.2 1.48 2021 253
100.1 17.0 1.47 2062 249

My question is the launch angle too high? I got the driver set in +1 (10*). I'm a pretty high ball hitter. maybe take it to 9* or even -1*? Anything else look out of line? From the course, the driver feels and flights great. Just looking for every inch possible out of it. Any answers or opinions (good or bad ?) would be appreciated! Thanks

The launch angle is really high, but your spin is pretty darn low. You could probably knock the loft down 1° and be fine.

The launch angle is really high, but your spin is pretty darn low. You could probably knock the loft down 1° and be fine.
I was going to make the same observation about the launch and spin, I wasn't sure about coming down a degree with the spin hovering around 2,000 but it might be worth a shot to see what he gets.

Granted I'm not a fiiter, and i didnt' stay in any hotel last night, so take that for what it's worth.

Questions on launch monitor findings

Thanks for the replies guys. Optimum launch angle in 13-15 range? If dropped down a degree in loft, and spin goes lower; means truthfully shaft is too low spin right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys. Optimum launch angle in 13-15 range? If dropped down a degree in loft, and spin goes lower; means truthfully shaft is too low spin right?

Maybe. With that high of launch angle, I would think that a high medium launch, mid spin shaft might do the trick. But if you are launching the HZRDUS Yellow in a XR Pro head that high, you've got to have a massively positive angle of attack. What kind of of launch monitor was it? Or was it a store simulator?

Your getting about 15 yards more carry when your launch angle is 19 vs 17. I would leave it alone because I'm a fan on carry distance.

That seems high LA i wondering if the launch monitor is miss aligned

I agree with Scrap Iron that you are getting the best carry distance the way it is. You might could eke out a little more overall distance by bring the launch down a bit, but if it was me I would leave it the way it is. ~247 carry avg at ~100 mph club head speed is really good.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm not sure what kind of launch monitor it is....here is a screenshot if it helps. I think I'll try it a degree down and see if I notice any difference. This past week have hit multiple drives over 300 with some fairly hard fairways
a3a5099eaa82dbe8d7bffc7850763d89.jpg

Your getting about 15 yards more carry when your launch angle is 19 vs 17. I would leave it alone because I'm a fan on carry distance.

Yes, but also that was with a much better smash factor...the 17 launch angle wasn't that good of a strike as the other swings. I hit some solid shots for me

That seems high LA i wondering if the launch monitor is miss aligned

I'll probably hit the PGA superstore in the next week or two to see if there's a big variation. It's only an hour away

Yes, but also that was with a much better smash factor...the 17 launch angle wasn't that good of a strike as the other swings. I hit some solid shots for me

I see that and it doesn't hurt to try things. I'm also thinking if you lower your loft and start getting in the 16 and below you will see less carry when you miss and strike it with a lower launch angle. It looks like when you launch it low (17) in your current set up you still get good results.

I would go play around with numbers in the flight optimizer. My gut tells me your numbers are pretty good.

I see that and it doesn't hurt to try things. I'm also thinking if you lower your loft and start getting in the 16 and below you will see less carry when you miss and strike it with a lower launch angle. It looks like when you launch it low (17) in your current set up you still get good results.

Good point! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

I would go play around with numbers in the flight optimizer. My gut tells me your numbers are pretty good.

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking to. I feel like I'm getting pretty good distance for me. I appreciate the feedback

I'm with wake and -crw- I think you're doing a good job of getting everything you can out of your swing. I don't see a reason to knock down la unless you have wind issues.

I'm with wake and -crw- I think you're doing a good job of getting everything you can out of your swing. I don't see a reason to knock down la unless you have wind issues.

I agree, the numbers on your LA may be a tad high, but your spin numbers are great. With you using a HAZRDS Yellow with the kick it has, it's probably in your swing. You must have a pretty positive AOA on your swing. You might trying moving your ball just a small amount back in your stance and it's possible you could lower that LA just enough. I'm talking a ball length back, by the way, again very little.

I agree, the numbers on your LA may be a tad high, but your spin numbers are great. With you using a HAZRDS Yellow with the kick it has, it's probably in your swing. You must have a pretty positive AOA on your swing. You might trying moving your ball just a small amount back in your stance and it's possible you could lower that LA just enough. I'm talking a ball length back, by the way, again very little.

That's a good idea. I'll try that at the range and see how that goes. Appreciate the advice!

Back