Quick Tips to Stop Coming Over the Top

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
In the meantime, before I start taking lessons, anybody have any good quick tips to prevent your self from coming over the top? Going to be at least hitting the range this weekend and am going to start working on my swing. All tips and hints are welcome! Thanks!

For me it was having the club more upright in the backswing. I imagine the club going on a path between my shoulder and head. Then I turn with my hands high keeping the club head on that path.

If I pull the club on a flat plane (around my body and not upright) I come over the top everytime.

Hope that helps!

iOS using Tapatalk

Check out THP Radio Shows with GolfTEC. This has been addressed a couple of times with some great tips.

I think most people come over the top because they feel the need to hit the ball with the hands and arms. This is the natural instinct. You have to practice hitting balls in slow motion, making sure that the hips clear first, then the shoulders, and finally the hands. One way to do this is to focus on touching your left knee with your right knee (right-handed golfers) as soon as possible in the down/forward swing. The only way to do this is to straighten the left knee and turn the hips toward the target. The left hip and left knee should move almost perpendicular away from the target line, while the right knee moves toward the target and the right foot rises onto the toes.

It is also important to make a good solid turn with your shoulders into (not onto) your right side, only turning your hips as much as your shoulders pull them. This should create a good deal of rotational tension in back muscles. That tension should be where you fell the power, not in the hands and arms.

Check out THP Radio Shows with GolfTEC. This has been addressed a couple of times with some great tips.

I totally forgot about those!! I'll check them out, thanks JB!!

Back