50wyldeman

Reaction score
Handicap
25.6 GHIN
I played a beautiful course yesterday, Rancho Canada Golf Club East course.

Thoroughly enjoyed the round but noticed two things. Firstly the bunkers were in wonderful shape , however, in every bunker the rakes were IN the bunker often times strewn throughout it, very haphazardly EVERY bunker EVERY hole.
I actually managed to hit two rakes (frustrating) I have always been told and observed that the rakes are generally outside the bunkers and on the fringe of it as it were.

We began placing the rakes outside as we always have on each hole and sadly it took a while for me to realize that the likelihood of the impossibly slow group ahead of us having hit EVERY bunker and leaving the rakes this way was quite unlikely . (this is as we say a "dim bulb" moment on my behalf) . Mind you the rakes were in the bunkers fully perpendicular to the shape of the bunker some were just in the middle of the bunker some were heads in handles out.

At the end of the round I stopped by the starters shed, and asked the Marshall if this was intentional, he said their protocol is to have the heads in the bunker and the grip portion of the handles out.

Is it just me that finds this odd?? It seems to me that this would encourage what we witnessed more or less , meaning we know John Q public oftentimes errs on the side of lazy, and can't be bothered to be concerned to rake the bunker let alone leave the rakes where they are less likely to affect play? On a positive note they had plenty of rakes for sure never saw a bunker with fewer than 3 most had 4 or more.

Thoughts? This is not the worst we encountered but rather typical the bunker to the left was common as well

IMG_4134.jpg

I apologized to the Marshall for undoing their system FWIW I felt like an idiot for not putting it together that it was likely meant to be that way :banghead:

That does strike me as kind of an odd system. How often will you have to move a rake because the handle is sticking out in the way of your shot? As you said, a ball that hits a rake on a roll stands a good chance of being deflected into the bunker (my prime justification for believing that the rakes should be outside the bunker is because it occasionally might stop a ball from going into one!).

I suppose the only upside is not having to lean down so much to get to the rake handle. But if that's your justification, you're probably getting a ball out of the cup slower than Tiger Woods. #BadBack

It depends on the course and what they want you to do. Leaving rakes in bunkers makes it easier for the grounds crew to do work around the bunkers without having to move rakes out of the way. However, having a rake left in the bunker can cause for some bad luck with the lie if the rake stops a ball in a tricky spot in a bunker.

I always play rakes in the bunkers. I have seen too many shots stay in grass because of a rake that is left out.

I have play at some courses where the rakes say to place in bunkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakes should always be left fully inside the bunker. I hate when they are left on fringe next to bunkers and always make sure to put them back in. Not sure why you would leave outside to penalize someone who may hit rake with an approach shot ? I know they can be hit just as easy in bunker by approach shots but any shot that goes into a bunker is a poor one anyway !

I have heard of both in or out. I just wish my course would put more of them. Sometimes a large bunker only has two and if moved around it can be a pain to circumnavigate the whole bunker just grab one. Especially if any steep hills. But I never been on a course that keeps them in the bunker. That course you mentioned seems to put a good amount of them probably to help both the laziness of people and pace. But having a lot of them and also having them all in the bunker is kind of odd and could be a bit of a menace I guess. but all in all if the course is a very nice one I wouldn't complain.

I learned on a course that had them on the outside on grass so to me it was weird seeing them on the inside, but the reasoning you fellas have are great points as to why they should be in the bunker.

Next time you see your greenskeeper, ask him where he wants them. That is the correct place for that course. Deciding to put them wherever you think they should be is wrong. They have their reason for putting them where they want them. Put them back there.

Rakes should always be left fully inside the bunker. I hate when they are left on fringe next to bunkers and always make sure to put them back in. Not sure why you would leave outside to penalize someone who may hit rake with an approach shot ? I know they can be hit just as easy in bunker by approach shots but any shot that goes into a bunker is a poor one anyway !

That's strange cause most courses I ever played they are outside. I really don't think any shot in a bunker would be any poorer than one which just missed a bunker but hit its rake. Too me it just is what it is. There are times it may hit a rake and work in our favor but as human nature would have it we usually only remember when it goes the bad way. But I do see what you mean as far as the logic of why not leave the hazard stuff (like the rake) in the actual hazard.

I wonder if it would work if they put stakes in the ground and simply stood them up like a fishing pole. I don't know but at least it would only be an inch wide vs when its laying down covering more space and being much more in the way of more things. At least one then couldn't accidentally step on one and get a good slammer to the forehead :beat-up: or worse, take a shot in the family jewels . OOOOOOhhhhhhhhh

The best system I've seen had a single long spike at the end so you could stand the rake on it's head by stabbing it into the sand or ground. Much smaller target to hit...less opportunity for interference.

From what I have read there is a difference for placement between normal play and tournament play. I believe the USGA says that rakes should be left outside the bunker. For normal play I would defer to the course/super. The superintendent at the country club I am thinking about joining has a great blog dedicated to course maintenance, for his course he wants rakes placed inside of the bunker with handles placed just inside the lip. The big reasoning is saving costs. For every rake left outside the bunker the mower has to stop, get off and move the rake which adds up to longer time on the mower and more money spent on maintenance.

Next time you see your greenskeeper, ask him where he wants them. That is the correct place for that course. Deciding to put them wherever you think they should be is wrong. They have their reason for putting them where they want them. Put them back there.

I saw no one during course of play and I was on a course I have not played, that is why I did make it a point to ask for the next time I hopefully play there. Without question from now on I will simply leave them as I find them on an unfamiliar course. I have only played about fifteen different courses all here in N Cal and NEVER seen this before. It was foolish of me not to sort it out that this was in some capacity how the course intended the rakes to be left . I try to be mindful and in retrospect really don't know what I was thinking .

I prefer the rakes in the bunkers as I have had a rake outside a bunker deflect my shot into a bunker but never the reverse. My course superintendent wants them in the bunkers for easier mowing which makes sense. Either way, you can move the rake to play your shot, so either way is ok with me. I've played over 2500 rounds and have only had a rake deflection a dozen times.

I see it done both ways around here at various courses.

I have played courses where you will see them in the bunker and left on the edge, but one course I played a number of times went about it a different way - by the first tee there was a container full of rakes and you were supposed to take one with you round the course and then drop it in a container as you come off the 18th green

This worked fairly well as long as someone in the group was using a push trolley as I imagine it could be a bit awkward if you were carrying your bag, but it did mean you had no worries about bad bounces or lies due to rakes in or around the bunker

I have played courses where you will see them in the bunker and left on the edge, but one course I played a number of times went about it a different way - by the first tee there was a container full of rakes and you were supposed to take one with you round the course and then drop it in a container as you come off the 18th green

This worked fairly well as long as someone in the group was using a push trolley as I imagine it could be a bit awkward if you were carrying your bag, but it did mean you had no worries about bad bounces or lies due to rakes in or around the bunker

Its funny you mention this because I was just thinking (hypothetically) about the same thing. to suggest carrying one with our clubs. Never have to look for one, or traverse the bunker to go get it, or worry about where to put it down, always with you, never in anyones way in or out of the bunker, etc, etc,.... Of course they would have to come up imo with a rake that folds the actual head down for convenience and safety. It may seem a bit redicluous but just might not be a bad idea.

I guess it boils down to, if you don't know, ask. I'm sure all courses have different thoughts about rakes in or out bunkers.

Its funny you mention this because I was just thinking (hypothetically) about the same thing. to suggest carrying one with our clubs. Never have to look for one, or traverse the bunker to go get it, or worry about where to put it down, always with you, never in anyones way in or out of the bunker, etc, etc,.... Of course they would have to come up imo with a rake that folds the actual head down for convenience and safety. It may seem a bit redicluous but just might not be a bad idea.

Sounds good in theory, and I bet there are courses that do this. But what if you forget the rake on hole 4 and don't land in another until hole 16? Or if you get dropped off and walk up to the green, only to find out that you are in a bunker somewhere along the way? Then you either have to go to the cart, wherever it happens to be, or have your partner bring one over to you. But what if he forgot his on hole 7, and neither of you have a rake anymore?

I used to play this course in Oklahoma that the rakes went in this contraption IN the ground. It had a little trap door that you push with the grip of your club. The rake comes up out of the ground. It was one of the most unique things I have seen on a course and I have not seen it at another course. They took them out though when the course was renovated.

I've never really payed a ton of attention to the rakes, but out of habit I always put them outside the bunker after I rake.

I see the argument made for both leaving them in, and leaving them out of bunkers. I actually prefer to leave them in, but the only real complaint I have is the lack of guidance from the courses I play. How about a sign at the first tee box instructing golfers which they prefer? I see 90° or cart path only signs everywhere, they couldn't simply add another?

I think every hole should have a ball spotter person and a bunker raking person and a divot replacer person. Not that we need a caddy, we're not that spoiled.

Don't hit it in the bunker and you won't have to worry about it! :banana:

Back