Ralph Maltby's MPF

I think the essential point here is that this scale is still a marketing tool/ploy used by Maltby. We could plug holes in any manufacturer's marketing if we wanted to, key thing is like what THP'ers preach a lot is to be aware of your options and go out with an open mind when looking for some new equipment

I think the essential point here is that this scale is still a marketing tool/ploy used by Maltby. We could plug holes in any manufacturer's marketing if we wanted to, key thing is like what THP'ers preach a lot is to be aware of your options and go out with an open mind when looking for some new equipment

But people are mistaking it for hard data. When it isnt. Thats deceptive. For us we would know better, but for alot of people, they wouldnt. Thats wrong.

But people are mistaking it for hard data. When it isnt. Thats deceptive. For us we would know better, but for alot of people, they wouldnt. Thats wrong.

This feels like marketing class all over again! I agree with you that it isn't right, but as a consumer you have a duty to educate yourself. "A fool and his money are soon parted"

I have had PGA pros mention this to me when talking about what irons I should play, I am not saying it is all nonsense or that it is at all factual but people do use this system to match clubs to players. In a general sense if a club in this system is rated hard to hit you can bet that it is and a beginner should stay away from it, it also will identify easy to hit clubs. Some club designs are just not what they pretend to be and for whatever reason don't perform as they should. The fact that his own clubs score well has more to do with the fact that he designs them to score well in his system not that he makes up numbers to sell his clubs. If it is your system and you tweak your designs to fit your parameters - I see nothing wrong with that. Would I buy his clubs? Probably not.

I have had PGA pros mention this to me when talking about what irons I should play, I am not saying it is all nonsense or that it is at all factual but people do use this system to match clubs to players. In a general sense if a club in this system is rated hard to hit you can bet that it is and a beginner should stay away from it, it also will identify easy to hit clubs. Some club designs are just not what they pretend to be and for whatever reason don't perform as they should. The fact that his own clubs score well has more to do with the fact that he designs them to score well in his system not that he makes up numbers to sell his clubs. If it is your system and you tweak your designs to fit your parameters - I see nothing wrong with that. Would I buy his clubs? Probably not.

Yeah, I dont agree with that at all. Check out his ratings of Taylormade irons such as R9s.

Yeah, I dont agree with that at all. Check out his ratings of Taylormade irons such as R9s.

This had me really intrigued so I googled it and based of his formula, he stated himself that it was based to a high centre of gravity(VCOG) in the R9 and they're really ill suited for sweeper style swings.

This had me really intrigued so I googled it and based of his formula, he stated himself that it was based to a high centre of gravity(VCOG) in the R9 and they're really ill suited for sweeper style swings.

Anyone who has hit the clubs can disagree with this.

Thainer you've alluded a couple times that it's not just a faulty method of rating clubs but that he makes up the data. Just curious, what do you mean by that?Anyway, this type of rating system MIGHT have more validity (or at least perception of validity) if it wasn't done by a clubmaker!

Back