Random, slow playing partners. What to do?

to some it seems that Ready Golf means "I'll hit it when I'm good and ready"

If a group isn't responding to subtle hints that we are falling behind and holding up the course I just say
"Look guys, you are slow golfers. Let's pick it up."

Once they finish being indignant they pick it up 9x out of 10. Rude? Perhaps but someone needs to tell them or they'll just hold up another course next weekend and the one after that.

I think I would enjoy your candor on the course....

Play ready golf and if that doesn't work say adios and play on without them

I think it is very smart to set expectations about how you like to play when playing with strangers. I do think how that's said matters (I'm not saying that you don't say it right - I am sure you do - but your post reminded me of a situation that happened earlier this year).

Situation: I was playing at Raven's Claw in the spring and was set to go out as a single first group. It was a twosome and the starter told me that he wanted me to go off with them. I went over to introduce myself and tell them the starter told me to join them. They both frowned and one of the guys says straight to my face "We play from the tips and play fast - you won't be able to keep up." I was stunned - the guy hadn't ever seen me play, he had no idea of how I played. I went back to the starter and told him what he said and he went over and talked to them and said go ahead and tee it up with them. At that point I asked whether the group behind was a foursome and he said yes. One of the guys in that group had overheard both conversations on the putting green and leaned in and said that their fourth wasn't going to make it and I could join them. Which I gladly did. Later the starter told me that the two were regulars and (regular) jerks.

To put things in perspective - if I am first off I can do 18 walking in 2:30 at most (if I am in a rush, I do 9 in ~ 1 hour) so I am pretty d**n sure that I could have kept up. Also, I eagled #1 (par 5) that day too - so ha!

I play Ravens claw quite a bit but don't worry that wasn't me! Lol.
The way I posted it sounds ignorant but I say it in a nice manner as bsically saying when you get to your ball and you're ready go ahead and hit and I'll do the same. Of course using common sense.

Very rarely do we ever get someone who plays molasses slow.

I play Ravens claw quite a bit but don't worry that wasn't me! Lol.
The way I posted it sounds ignorant but I say it in a nice manner as bsically saying when you get to your ball and you're ready go ahead and hit and I'll do the same. Of course using common sense.

Very rarely do we ever get someone who plays molasses slow.

I'm certain it wasn't you :) Everyone who hangs here thinks about these things and there is great consideration shown by everyone. I wanted to raise the story as I was shocked by it. In fact, it was a topic of conversation with the threesome I joined as they had heard the initial exchange and thought it pretty rude too. Turned out well as they were good guys and we had a good time. We played pretty quick but since they were a twosome we never had to interact with them.

We'll have to get a round in next year. I'm in Devon.

I'm certain it wasn't you :) Everyone who hangs here thinks about these things and there is great consideration shown by everyone. I wanted to raise the story as I was shocked by it. In fact, it was a topic of conversation with the threesome I joined as they had heard the initial exchange and thought it pretty rude too. Turned out well as they were good guys and we had a good time. We played pretty quick but since they were a twosome we never had to interact with them.

We'll have to get a round in next year. I'm in Devon.

That's pretty crappy. I got a smiliar "bugger off" from a couple of guys at Broad Run. I had no choice but to play with them. Guy with the bigger attitude put tee shot OB and his second in the woods right with it.

Turns out I spent most of the morning waiting on these tour strikers.

That's pretty crappy. I got a smiliar "bugger off" from a couple of guys at Broad Run. I had no choice but to play with them. Guy with the bigger attitude put tee shot OB and his second in the woods right with it.

Turns out I spent most of the morning waiting on these tour strikers.

There's a lot of karma in golf. I envy the guys who are so good they can be arrogant and not have it bite them. In reality, those guys are very few and most savvy (and many very good) golfers play it a lot cooler.

No need to tempt the gods with an excess of arrogance. I'm pretty happy when I sneak a daring shot by them when they're not looking :)

Tough to walk the line between straightforward and rude with strangers. Don't know their story but try to give the benefit of my doubt. Still makes it frustrating and I know I get impatient waiting on groups that seem to be screwing around in front of me. Bothers me too much that others will think I'm being inconsiderate and screwing around in front of them. When paired with random people it usually is great 90% of the time. I'm sure the guys we were paired with I would have enjoyed meeting at a party or at a friends house. Playing with them and being part of the group that is likely frustrating the groups behind us is what really gets to me.

I can't say it's ever happened to me, a little slow sure but nothing like the OP, I've been stuck behind such players but not with.

If it did though and there was open holes ahead I think it's simple- "gotta get moving guys, have plans later, it's been nice playing with you, bye!" skip the hole and get to the next tee.

The one thing I notice when I am behind slow players is that they are playing from the tips when by the looks of their game they would be more suited to some of the shorter tees. Golfers need to be made aware of the fact that if they are constantly scoring 100 - 115 that they need to play it forward to shorter tee boxes. I think too many weekend golfers or golfers that only play two or three times a year don't realize that.

Lot of muni play here. I don't pay my money to have to manage others. I go with the flow until ranger yogi shows up. If he tells me to hurry up, I point him towards the others.

I might be a 22 but can hurry my ass along.

Had a couple of would be tour players tell me and my partner they were playing through and leaving us as they had somewhere to go. They were bombing it out of bounds on every shot. Two holes later they were waiting for a back log in front of them, we couldn't move and we learned from ranger yogi, the foursome behind us were pissed at us. Ranger Yogi approached us. Asking us why we hadn't stuck together. He didn't want to deal with any of it. Go do your job, Its not mine.

Its usually drunks or a**holes.

The one thing I notice when I am behind slow players is that they are playing from the tips when by the looks of their game they would be more suited to some of the shorter tees. Golfers need to be made aware of the fact that if they are constantly scoring 100 - 115 that they need to play it forward to shorter tee boxes. I think too many weekend golfers or golfers that only play two or three times a year don't realize that.

In my case I wasn't playing from the tips but the next tee up, the "golds". My wife plays one up from me "whites" in this case. These guys were routinely getting out driven by my better half (they were playing the whites too). I don't think pride allowed them to play up one more.

Maybe this has been covered but couldn't think of way to search for it. Wife and I played yesterday. We were paired with 2 brothers. Nice guys, not total newbies but soooo slooow. They would be on opposite sides of the fairway but would sit in the cart while one hit then would drive over to the other ball and start picking clubs, taking practice swings, etc. The ranger came at the 8th hole to urge us along. They just sped up their routine slightly but still it was painful. Thank goodness (?) we caught a threesome that was worse so I felt less guilty. Tried to suggest they alter their routine but they wouldn't follow through. We thought about leaving them and trying to play through the threesome but that felt awkward. For some reason the ranger came to me to complain (I guess because I was the one out side of the cart ready to hit). I wanted to tell him the starter paired us with these snails, its not our fault, etc. but what would that have accomplished? What else could have been done?

Should have told him that.......

Back