Rays and Tommy John

The data supports increased velo, and increased velo leads to more stress on those ligaments. The Rays are one of the smartest clubs in baseball when it comes to data/development. Coincidentally, the Guardians are arguably MLB's best when it comes to developing young pitchers, and they've had issues with major teres muscle strains (upper back/lower shoulder) for whatever reason, and Triston McKenzie is hoping to avoid TJ, but may be next to need it. Just interesting that two of baseball's best when it comes to developing pitchers and using analytics have struggled with this stuff more than some other clubs.

According to Fox Sports last night, their pitching injury totals are about 35% higher than MLB average over the last 5 years.
No idea what that means, but that is what spurred the thread. Losing 3 guys in a season to Tommy John I do not believe is the league average though.

I was curious about how it compares to MLB average. It seems like a ton of pitchers get Tommy John these days. My son has two friends that play college baseball and they have both had it. If it is 35% higher than the MLB average though it seems like there is something there.

That seems crazy and too many to be coincidental.

Back