Ryan555

Reaction score
Handicap
First, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, please move to the proper one.

So, tonight, I did a couple of things i had never done before. First, I tested out a fairway wood, and it was the first time I have ever swung a fairway wood with a graphite shaft. The other thing I did was to hit it on a launch monitor. I was up at Dick's to check out a few other things, not golf related, but, I had to just swing by the golf department. Since I am getting the Razr Fit on an exchange from Callaway, I thought I would look at the fairway wood as well. I was winging the 3 wood with a stiff shaft. The numbers I got for the first few swings were all over, as I hadn't really even warmed up. After I settled into my swing, I was getting 90 mph clubhead speed with 131ish ball speed. I then saw the backspin numbers were all right around 4500 rpms. Now the guy I was dealing with told me that I may want to consider going to a stiffer flex if I go at the ball that hard, but he wasn't a fitter, he was going by some charts they had in there. I then took one more swing, that was a little more smooth, and my swing speed got to 92 and my ballspeed to 132, but my backspin dropped to 2500. Now, I know I normally go after the ball quite a bit, but I was wondering if a shaft change would be a better idea, or, since this was adjustable, if opening the face to drop the loft would work as well. The problem I'm seeing is that, I really liked the club, but, I can't afford a $250 upgrade for a shaft. I know they have a few other shaft options that aren't an upgrade, but I don't know that anywhere around here is going to have a fitting cart for this club anymore, as the cycle is pretty much over. Any input would be welcomed. I realize that I still need to try some other options, but, like I said, I've never seen my numbers for any club before, so I'm really curious as to how all of these things can work into the final numbers.

Also, I have now fallen in love with a new club, the Mizuno MP-59! The best feeling club I've hit since my Pro Forgeds. Just awesome.

I play the stock stiff shaft in the RAZR FIT 3W and I have found that it just likes a smoother transition...at least in my opinion....when I really go at one I get a ballooning affect, but a nice smooth tempo and it is pure as any 3W I have ever hit.....I can't really answer your question about the shaft upgrade this is the only shaft I have ever hit in it.

I think I may be able to help answer your question. I have a Razr Fit 3 wood with the stock shaft in it, and when I swing nice and smooth the thing is a bomber for me. I generally like to swing with a quicker, more aggressive tempo and when I do that the club becomes wildly uncontrollable. Rather than swing out of my comfort zone, I decided to take an old PX 6.0 FW shaft I had and put a Razr Fit tip on it. I haven't swung that combo yet though due to my lack of a wrench to change them out. I do think the more stable PX shaft will help me get the club under control again and make it a beast for me again.

I noticed that the smoother the transition, the lower the backspin. The problem for me is that my transition is not normally that smooth. I know I go after it a little harder than others, and that concerns me. When I was getting the high spin, the ball, according to the monitor, was only carrying at about 200 and rolling out about 10 to 15. When I hit the low spin, I carried 220ish and rolled out to 247. I know that these are artificial numbers, but it was still interesting to see how the numbers correlate. When you said a Project X, is that a steel shaft? I currently have a DGS300 in my 12 year old 3 wood, so that could be why I go after it so hard in the transition. Swinging graphite was definitely different and I could get used to it, but it might take a while.

With a 90ish SS I would stick with R Flex.

With a 90ish SS I would stick with R Flex.

I was wondering about that. I don't know what a high swing speed is for a fairway wood.

Back