Recommend a hitting net and mat

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm thinking this winter I need to build some kind of practice setup in my garage. Do you guys have any recommendations for a net to hit in to and a decent mat to hit off of that won't break the bank?

I purchased a DuraPro golf mat from D.W. Quail several years ago and it continues to serve me well. I believe I ordered the commercial mat. It looks like they've gone up in price over the years. Thought I'd paid just over $100 for a 3' x 4', but I don't see any at that price on their website. Anyway, it's a very good mat. They have a residential version that's a bit thinner for under $100 that might be ok.

As for a net, you can go cheap and get one for under $50 but they will eventually tear. I believe I got 5 or 6 seasons of heavy use out of mine before throwing it away this year.

I'm in the market for a new net for this upcoming winter and haven't decided yet on whether to invest in something a bit more durable.

Good luck @KEV

Had the exact same thought regarding a practice setup for winter. Bought a JaeilPML 7x7 from Amazon. It's has a rather large footprint due it's triangle shape so likely not an ideal net for your garage. Chose that one because it looked like it would handle heavy winds a bit better. 40mph gusts with the noreaster this past week, held up just fine.
IMG_0218[5965].jpg

I recently purchased this net on Amazon after looking at the same thing for winter. Reviews were good and it will pop up and take down in my garage.

0734908C-9881-4215-A2AD-80187AC01148.jpeg

Biggest mistake I made when starting golf. Careful or you can develop some bad habits, took me years to correct a terrible slice. Probably need something to know ball flight.

Country Club Elite Mat. Soft on your arms and doesn't leave any marks on clubs.

Attachments

• sohVCfz0RJ2I1oSwQsLMJQ.jpg
    sohVCfz0RJ2I1oSwQsLMJQ.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 42
Biggest mistake I made when starting golf. Careful or you can develop some bad habits, took me years to correct a terrible slice. Probably need something to know ball flight.
I agree.

@KEV you’re getting a track man too right? :cool:

Check out All Turf Mat. I have the 48” x 60” which I purchased through Amazon for $170. Excellent!

Rucket makes some really good nets.

I actually made my own mat... sort of. It's a mega grass 4×5 mat I bought off amazon. I also bought some of the 4×4 workout mats from Lowes to put under it. They come in 4 1'x1' interlocking pieces. It gives the mat enough give at impact that it's easy on the hands and joints.

As far as my net goes, I don't remember what brand it is. It's a 10x10 net. But after about a year of using it, I finally put a hole through it hitting full swing wedges. El Cheapo.
290a906bb113e8cade4ba80997d47ea0.jpg
e1740c1c6ab8e3c129833d69b5ae0981.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Synthetic mats are o.k. but if used too much can cause injury.
If grass is not available, I think a ratio of about 10/1 (practice swing not contacting ground 10X and then 1X striking synthetic mat/ball).
Or for players who really want to strike a lot of golf ball, when using the mat use a plastic tee as well , even for iron and wedge shots.

Synthetic mats are o.k. but if used too much can cause injury.
If grass is not available, I think a ratio of about 10/1 (practice swing not contacting ground 10X and then 1X striking synthetic mat/ball).
Or for players who really want to strike a lot of golf ball, when using the mat use a plastic tee as well , even for iron and wedge shots.

I was worried about this so I went with a Fiberbuilt. It is expensive but I have used it for almost a year and no wear and tear on me or the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a SkyTrak is in the cards down the road...

If you’re going with a sim I suggest you do it right the first time. You’ll just end up buying another one. Cheaping out will just end up hurting your elbows, wrists, etc...

The 2 main sim mats are fiberbuilt and Truestrike. Launch monitors don’t love FB mats for putting but they are really good for everything else. I have a Truestrike and I love it. They’re expensive but well worth it.

The country club elite is a nice mat and they talk about the divot feel. That was my first mat and worked great when I hit goal balls into my net in the basement. But once I got my sim, the CCE really skewed the sim numbers on fat hits. If you do anything but ball first contact your numbers will be way off. More than real life. Yes, it does force you to have ball first contact but when friends or family use the sim, it makes it unenjoyable for them with ridiculous low numbers. I use the CCE as a stance mat.

Depending on your space, you might want to look at a net return. Again expensive but if you get a skytrak, you’ll be all set up.

Like others have mentioned on here, I wouldn’t just hit balls into a net without going through lessons or a launch monitor at the same time. You might feel like you’re doing the right thing however you’ll find that you’re developing some bad habits without seeing the ball flight.

Here’s my setup. Good luck. Sim golf is amazing for us busy guys on a limited season.

77490b22516a13df9bed83e484c58055.jpg

If you’re going with a sim I suggest you do it right the first time. You’ll just end up buying another one. Cheaping out will just end up hurting your elbows, wrists, etc...

The 2 main sim mats are fiberbuilt and Truestrike. Launch monitors don’t love FB mats for putting but they are really good for everything else. I have a Truestrike and I love it. They’re expensive but well worth it.

The country club elite is a nice mat and they talk about the divot feel. That was my first mat and worked great when I hit goal balls into my net in the basement. But once I got my sim, the CCE really skewed the sim numbers on fat hits. If you do anything but ball first contact your numbers will be way off. More than real life. Yes, it does force you to have ball first contact but when friends or family use the sim, it makes it unenjoyable for them with ridiculous low numbers. I use the CCE as a stance mat.

Depending on your space, you might want to look at a net return. Again expensive but if you get a skytrak, you’ll be all set up.

Like others have mentioned on here, I wouldn’t just hit balls into a net without going through lessons or a launch monitor at the same time. You might feel like you’re doing the right thing however you’ll find that you’re developing some bad habits without seeing the ball flight.

Here’s my setup. Good luck. Sim golf is amazing for us busy guys on a limited season.

77490b22516a13df9bed83e484c58055.jpg
That pictures makes me incredibly jealous!

I just ordered this net for the workshop in the back of my garage. I hope it's durable enough to withstand the shots generated by my super-human 89mph club head speed.:laughing:

I'll have to figure out how to hang it from the ceiling. I'd love to have an easy way to lift or roll it up out of the way on those few occasion when I actually do work in my workshop.

I was worried about this so I went with a Fiberbuilt. It is expensive but I have used it for almost a year and no wear and tear on me or the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's the Flight Deck Filberbilt that is much less expensive. I'm using one.

I made a stance mat using 2 pieces of 3'x 4' "horse mat" heavy rubber from Farm & Fleet and an Emerald mat I've had around. I'm hitting into a Carl's Place standard 9' x 9' impact screen and using a cage made from 1" PVC.

Dave

I have my garage setup now.

1" PCV cage 8'10" wide x 8'6" tall
Cage bungeed to back of garage wall to prevent accidental tipping, etc...
Carl's Standard impact screen 9'x9'
Gourock 10'x10' netting on left, right, and top to catch errant shots. The L/R nets are riding on shower curtain type rings for easy movement.
Fiberbilt Flight Deck mat 8' from net
Stance mat made from 2 pcs of .75" thick 3'x4' horse mat with emerald mat on top
Flightscope Mevo launch monitor
Samsung tablet to work w/the Mevo

The Mevo was the last piece and came in on Thursday. I've been putting the setup heavily through the paces this weekend and am very pleased. I can set up/tear down in about 5 minutes. Cars are in the garage most of the time.

Dave

I have my garage setup now.

1" PCV cage 8'10" wide x 8'6" tall
Cage bungeed to back of garage wall to prevent accidental tipping, etc...
Carl's Standard impact screen 9'x9'
Gourock 10'x10' netting on left, right, and top to catch errant shots. The L/R nets are riding on shower curtain type rings for easy movement.
Fiberbilt Flight Deck mat 8' from net
Stance mat made from 2 pcs of .75" thick 3'x4' horse mat with emerald mat on top
Flightscope Mevo launch monitor
Samsung tablet to work w/the Mevo

The Mevo was the last piece and came in on Thursday. I've been putting the setup heavily through the paces this weekend and am very pleased. I can set up/tear down in about 5 minutes. Cars are in the garage most of the time.

Dave

I like the sound of that! How about some pictures? I'd love to set up something similar

I'll post some images, I don't expect to be able to hit any tomorrow, but can do it Tuesday.

Dave

I agree with @Rusty Dave. The net return would let you add a impact screen at a later date then you could project Skytrak onto it. I bought a cheap Amazon mat and it was horrible, I made my own divot action mat . Here’s my setup today

Attachments

• AA7A846C-089F-41C9-83B9-74589A662A47.jpeg
    AA7A846C-089F-41C9-83B9-74589A662A47.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 17
I agree with @Rusty Dave. The net return would let you add a impact screen at a later date then you could project Skytrak onto it. I bought a cheap Amazon mat and it was horrible, I made my own divot action mat . Here’s my setup today

Looks great.

Back