The Red Wine Thread

You haven't drunk enough ... or from enough areas in CA.

yep, this. california was such great microclimates they can achieve any style. from austere to big and jammy. on the flip side, i’ve had so many italian and french wines that did absolutely nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yep, this. california was such great microclimates they can achieve any style. from austere to big and jammy. on the flip side, i’ve had so many italian and french wines that did absolutely nothing for me.

Blasphemy!

I was ok with you having your own opinions until #3. Haha

If I’m drinking wine, it’s 90% of the time a malbec.

I'm admittedly more of a beer guy, but I generally really like the malbecs I've tried.

You haven't drunk enough ... or from enough areas in CA.

I’d bet you have a much bigger choice than here, but I’ve tried at least a dozen different Cali wines. Just not one I’ve enjoyed. Not just ones I wouldn’t buy again. Not one that I didn’t have to force myself to finish.

I was ok with you having your own opinions until #3. Haha

If I’m drinking wine, it’s 90% of the time a malbec.

Lol. Different strokes right? I’ve tried a few, and while I liked better than Cali wines, I’ve not found one I’d buy again.

I think so much of what we like is luck on what we first tried of each region. I hate Cali wines, meh about Australia, Italy and Malbecs, but love Carmenere, Portugal, New Zealand, and Argentina (and of course most from my home Niagara VQA area).

Blasphemy!

i’ve tried so many. spent offensive amounts of money. there have been some good ones, but also so many disappointments. i’ll do chateauneuf du pape in france, and some igt super tuscans in italy. you can pretty much keep the rest.

Last edited:
Lol. Different strokes right?

Yea it's pretty crazy how different we can all be in that regard, but I'm glad there are a bunch of options. On the flip side I can drink pretty much any red, but dry white wine makes me want to vomit, and I know there are probably tons of people out there who love that kind of wine. So I guess you can have your opinions back haha

i’ve tried so many. spent offensive amounts of money. there have been some good ones, but also so many disappointments. i’ll do chateauneuf du paper in france, and some igt super tuscans in italy. you can pretty much keep the rest.

Ew I don't want them either, I should have put some aliens in there. Just seemed like something worth typing out blasphemy for. South American wine FTW

Ew I don't want them either, I should have put some aliens in there. Just seemed like something worth typing out blasphemy for. South American wine FTW

chilean camenere is the bomb
chilean cab can (but not always) be really excellent
argentinian malbec almost always overdelivers in qpr

if you haven't had it before, spring for a bottle of casa lapostolle clos apalta for a special occasion. tremendous wine that drinks like something 3-4 times more expensive.

Last edited:
chilean camenre is the bomb

if you haven't had it before, spring for a bottle of casa lapostolle clos apalta for a special occasion. tremendous wine that drinks like something 3-4 times more expensive.

Yes to the Argentinian and biiiig yes to the Lapostolle.....biiiiig yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chilean camenre is the bomb

I can't wrap my head around something 3-4 times more expensive than that one. That is already 3-4 times more expensive than what I'd prefer to spend haha.

Which is ironic considering I'm pretty sure I've spent that much on Scotch before, but that lasts me longer

I can't wrap my head around something 3-4 times more expensive than that one. That is already 3-4 times more expensive than what I'd prefer to spend haha.

Which is ironic considering I'm pretty sure I've spent that much on Scotch before, but that lasts me longer

i don't really buy as much wine as i used to, and i definitely got caught up in "chasing" the perfect, trophy wines. but i'm still guilty of looking at the retail price and if it's under $40 i'm very leery of quality. compare that to the deliciousness i can get out of a $40 bottle of bourbon, and then look at how freaking long that bourbon will last me, and i have to smh at how silly the wine game can be.

I love the Argentina reds. This is one of my favorites and I just picked up 5 bottles with a 15% discount that I got from Total Wine.Unanime.png

i don't really buy as much wine as i used to, and i definitely got caught up in "chasing" the perfect, trophy wines. but i'm still guilty of looking at the retail price and if it's under $40 i'm very leery of quality. compare that to the deliciousness i can get out of a $40 bottle of bourbon, and then look at how freaking long that bourbon will last me, and i have to smh at how silly the wine game can be.

Dude...that $20-40 price range a bottle FTMFW. Haha

Dude...that $20-40 price range a bottle FTMFW. Haha

finding great wine under $10 is damn near impossible
finding great wine in the $10-$20 range is tough, rarely ever in california or france. portugal, chile, argentina, and spain.
finding great wine in the $20-$30 range is a little easier, but there's a lot of shite in that range too. add australia, south africa, washington, and some parts of france.
finding great wine in the $40 and up range is much easier for most varietals

but you're right, when you find a gem in the $20 - $40 range it's a big win!

finding great wine in the $10-$20 range is tough, rarely ever in california or france. portugal, chile, argentina, and spain.
finding great wine in the $20-$30 range is a little easier, but there's a lot of shite in that range too. add australia, south africa, washington, and some parts of france.

I think your time chasing premium wine has ruined you. This is the anti-wine snob thread. :alien:

Just got back into drinking wine with the family again, forgot how nice it is to pair with your meal.

I think your time chasing premium wine has ruined you. This is the anti-wine snob thread. :alien:

i'm too lazy to start a red wine snob thread. besides, there are plenty of forums around the interwebz full of guys bragging about their recent overpriced acquisition. i'd rather brag about my recent overpriced golf acquisition here with you knuckleheads

i'm too lazy to start a red wine snob thread. besides, there are plenty of forums around the interwebz full of guys bragging about their recent overpriced acquisition. i'd rather brag about my recent overpriced golf acquisition here with you knuckleheads

Haha fair points

As I get older, I drink less. So when I drink, I want it to be really good. But I do try to keep it between $25-50.

I can find an excellent zin, pinot or syrah in that price range. It may not be great, but enjoyable.

Cabs or Cab Blends? Most of the time, you're looking at $40+, although I can find enjoyable Meritage for $25-30.

Spain - Tempranillo - Muga or Muga Reserve - less than $25.
Italian - I've got a couple at $19-24, Allegrini or Zenato labels are dependable
French- Bordeaux Blends at $40-65 from the younger generation of the old guard.

But heck, that's easy. I usually go treasure hunting under $25 but am normally disappointed. But when you find one like 90+ Cellars Russian River Pinot Noir Lot 75 for $18, you keep going back until they change the source.

I belong to one wine club - Bedrock. Am on the mailing list for one of Chris' Clubs, Cayeuse, but no room at the inn ... yet.

Last edited:
Decent bottle of cab sav This evening....
47920311742cbcd05fd5d8a30677e03b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife brought this bottle home from work, have seen the commercials, but hadn't tried it yet, looking forward to opening it.
cIFFUsH.jpg

3V.png

We finally found a fantastic Mexican wine from the Valle de Parra region of Mexico. The 3V is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Tempranillo. We can get it at a local restaurant for 430 Pesos ($22.50 USD), so we do it a couple times per week while still having a Reservado Merlot or Malbec for about $6 on other days.

Zins vs Cabs tonight for a wine tasting

Here’s the lineup....
e0edbb102697c4683ef1eeaca3da51ce.jpg

Zins vs Cabs tonight for a wine tasting

Here’s the lineup....
e0edbb102697c4683ef1eeaca3da51ce.jpg

paso robles for the win. nobody does zin as well as paso.

be careful of those michael david wines. they’re really tasty, but they are boozy. sneak up on you fast.

1e46284a52380d20410c2a1705d6e0f3.jpg
ec30a11ec4cec0f5da4f3c7dc69931aa.jpg

New addition to the market apparently.....good stuff good stuff

Back