Regripping - arthritis problems

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
A few years ago manufacturers used to put Golf Pride Tour Velvet or Lamkin REL grips on clubs standard. Checking the prices on the grips they're $8-9. Now the bean counters at the major manufacturers have decided to put Lamkin Crosslines which sell for $3.99 to save a few bucks. I know they get them in bulk so saving a buck or two a club adds up when you're charging $1200 per set. :censored:

So when I go try out a club invariably I end up with a hand injury in my left thumb from the shock. When I buy the club I have to regrip the club so I can even play it. I suppose I could custom order just to get a different grip. Since I'm in the off season I've decided to regrip my entire set because I have a hodge podge of grips (Tour Velvets and CP2 Pros). The Tour Velvets are great on the course, but on the range they're marginal so I need something that absorbs shock a bit better.

I've had the Winn Dri-tacs, but they wear out after a season. I just saw a thread about Lamkin Sonars and wear. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the Golf Pride CP2 Pros?

I do not, you might try a midsize grip. They encourage you to lighten the pressure you're using which would surely help with arthritis. I have a somewhat irritating case of carpal tunnel from work and a broken right wrist 7 years ago and golf never bothers me due to my light grip pressure.

A few years ago manufacturers used to put Golf Pride Tour Velvet or Lamkin REL grips on clubs standard. Checking the prices on the grips they're $8-9. Now the bean counters at the major manufacturers have decided to put Lamkin Crosslines which sell for $3.99 to save a few bucks. I know they get them in bulk so saving a buck or two a club adds up when you're charging $1200 per set. :censored:

So when I go try out a club invariably I end up with a hand injury in my left thumb from the shock. When I buy the club I have to regrip the club so I can even play it. I suppose I could custom order just to get a different grip. Since I'm in the off season I've decided to regrip my entire set because I have a hodge podge of grips (Tour Velvets and CP2 Pros). The Tour Velvets are great on the course, but on the range they're marginal so I need something that absorbs shock a bit better.

I've had the Winn Dri-tacs, but they wear out after a season. I just saw a thread about Lamkin Sonars and wear. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the Golf Pride CP2 Pros?

Most companies offer multiple grip options with no additional charge.

I can honestly tell you companies didn’t go to Tour Velvets because they are cheaper. They are the most used grip on the PGA Tour.

As someone that has some arthritis, I too have to change and it’s always a battle between something soft and adding a ton of torque that can alter some things.

Rifgt now I have settled for the Golf Pride Microsuede. The CP2s and Pros are nice too and I have used them before as well.

I have had some success with CP2 pros and wraps. They are certainly more shock absorbing than Tour Velvets. But, because I still have issues with finger pain, I am considering a switch to graphite shafts (Recoils) or installing vibration dampening inserts into my steel shafted set of irons. But getting back to your needs, yes go with either of the above mentioned CP2s is a good way to go. Comfortable and extremely durable grips.

If you liked the DriTacs check out the Super Stroke Cross Comforts. Very similar but they last about 3x longer

i love getting the set regripped. I had been using Crossline Mid but just switched tthis week to the CP2 Wrap Mid. The CP2s feel so much better.

The SuperStroke cross comfort grips are my favorite in the softer grip category, and they definitely absorb shock and promote an easy grip. A few of us reviewed them for THP and there's a thread here with a lot of feedback:

I’ve used the CP2s and Pros and had good results with them. Before switching to the UST Mamiya Recoils, I had vibration damping inserts placed in my steel shafts. Between the grips and the inserts, I had good relief from the arthur.

The SuperStroke cross comfort grips are my favorite in the softer grip category, and they definitely absorb shock and promote an easy grip. A few of us reviewed them for THP and there's a thread here with a lot of feedback:

Funny, I forgot about those. I bought some here awhile back. Still have a midsize on my three wood. I will agree with other posters, it is excellent for shock absorption and lasts longer than any Winn grips I have tried. Only thing is, no stores in my area carry them. I have to order them online.

Last edited:
I really struggle with my hands. Midsize helped more than anything and all but one my clubs have the CP2 midsize. I put the micro suede midsize on my 4 iron; I have only played a few rounds with that, but it is my favorite right now.

I just know that if I want to play, I need to regrip any used clubs or order new clubs with them changed. There are more midsize options available when you order than before and some sites that sell used will let you switch them out for a minimal charge (Callaway Preowned charges $4 if I recall).

To @InTheRough
Let’s do something different. Want to try certain grips? Quote this post in this thread and we will send you a set. We have every Golf Pride Grip and most Lamkin models. As well as a select few Super Stroke options.

2020 Albatross Club Member benefits.

F668931C-4DC1-4E2F-9E39-ECA39EEBF01C.jpeg

To @InTheRough
Let’s do something different. Want to try certain grips? Quote this post in this thread and we will send you a set. We have every Golf Pride Grip and most Lamkin models. As well as a select few Super Stroke options.

View attachment 8919726
That's awesome!!

I have bad fingers and another rare finger condition which almost made me give up golf until I found a miracle doctor. But I have tried many comfort grips over past few years including Winn Dri-Tac Wrap, GP CP2 Wrap & Superstroke Cross Comfort. I really like the SS CC grips I had on last year but in hot, humid conditions I get very sweaty hands and had to wear raingrip gloves. In normal conditions they were great.

Anyway I am switching back this year to GP CP2 wraps for 2020, best for me overall. I would have like to have tried the Microsuede but they weren’t available on EBay at the time I was buying and a set I bought on THP fell through after I paid for them and seller renegged on the deal.

Winn midsize with an extra 1/2 wrap. Do you perform wrist, finger, hand, forearm strengthening and flexibility exercises?????????

As someone with rheumatoid arthritis, I've used the CP2 grips with good success but I they are a bit heavier than most other grips. I currently use the SuperStroke Cross Comfort and love them. I actually switched away from them for a bit and came back to them. They just work for me in midsize.

To @InTheRough

View attachment 8919726

Awesome ❤. Just awesome. Thank you. Golf Pride site says I should go with the CP2 Pros. So how do we do this?

Awesome ❤. Just awesome. Thank you. Golf Pride site says I should go with the CP2 Pros. So how do we do this?

You send GolferGal a PM with your full name and shipping address.
I will send you a set of those grips.
Then when they arrive and you get them on your clubs, start a new thread on them in the grip section of the forum with your thoughts. Thats it.

Hey In the Rough;
I am right-handed and have minor arthritis in my left index finger (first joint). I had to switch from an interlocking grip to an overlapped grip about 15 years ago. I regrip my irons pretty much every season - driver and hybrid every couple of years. For several years I have used Lamkin Crossline mid-size, which relieved most of the pain and I have been able to go back to the interlocking grip.
This year I switched to mid-size Tour Velvets on new clubs, BUT I had two layers of tape put on. The new clubs are Mizuno Hot Metals with KBS C-taper Lite steel shafts (reg. flex). I have had NO pain issues with this combination. My previous gamers have graphite shafts and I will regrip them in the same way this spring to see if that eliminates the problem with my index finger as well or better than the mid-size Crosslines did. I also just picked up a set of Hogan Ft. Worth irons with the Recoil regular flex graphite stafts, and will regrip them in the same way before I put them in play.
The two wraps of tape on the Mizunos were initially intended to just slightly increase the diameter of the Tour Velvet grips, but it feels like they may cushion the grips a bit more. Maybe that feel is just the difference between Lamkin Crosslines and the Tour Velvets.
In any case, the Tour Velvets with two layers of tape on the Hot Metal/KBS shafts feel very good.
Good Luck.

I’ve used both the CP2 and CP2 Pro, and the Pro was much more forgiving on my hands and wrist. I found it just a little too soft though so tried the MCC +4 in midsize and haven’t been happier.

If you like a softer grip, I think you’ll really enjoy the CP2 Pro. They stayed just the right amount of tacky in cold, wet and heat.

I also have graphite shafts on my irons. My issue is DeQuervain's Syndrome with my left thumb.

This is encouraging DataDude. I have CTS too. Do you prefer a mid size over the plus grips that are popular these days? MCC+4 etc.

Last edited:

The CP2 Pros are great for people with hand issues like you are talking about...

I like the MCC +4 grips personally bc they handle the hot humid conditions that I normally play in during the summer.

They were mentioned earlier and I highly recommend shaft inserts for steel shafts (any shaft, actually. I preferred ProSoft but hear Sting Stopper is even better).

I had an issue with my wrists and they cleared that right up. This year invited arthritis in my fingers but I play graphite irons now. Still toying with installing inserts in them too.

I'd put them in my wedges if I could ever commit to a set! LOL...

I just cannot go the grip route for vibration dampening, wish I could. The torque issue gets in my head with many softer grips and most fail my sweaty palms in the summer anyway.

If you can find a good vibration dampening grip AND install inserts, I think that gives you the best chance for positive tangible impact.

Best of luck!

I've had luck with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize Plus 4 grips. They have a bit more bulk (supposedly equivalent to 4 extra wraps?) toward the middle to bottom of the grip. I think they would work for someone with arthritis in their hands. Just a suggestion. Good luck in your search.

Back