Regular of Stiff flex... I need help

Javelin

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently purchased a set of :taylormade: Burner 2.0 4-AW stiff flex steel shaft irons. I wasn't fitted for them, but I tried them before and liked them. But I thought I remembered trying the regular flex shafts, but when I bought them I didn't realize the sales at the store handed me a box with stiff shafts. I've been playing them and just recently noticed that they are stiff. My question is this. I have a drive swing speed of roughly 85-95mph and I know I swing my irons slower but I'm unsure how much slower. Should I get them exchanged for the regular flex or keep the stiff shafts.

I feel like I hit these different than the ones it died before. But that also could be in my head because I know they are different.

You should get what you feel comfortable with. You say you hit them different but is that good or bad ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

You should get what you feel comfortable with. You say you hit them different but is that good or bad ?

I have a pretty inconsistent shot to begin with. I'm not sure which I hit better. I just want to make sure that one isn't better suited for me.

I would certainly return to the store and hit the regular flex irons and the ones you bought on a LM to see if the difference is substantial. If it is and the regular flex is better fitted for you I would insist they swap them out as they are the ones that made the error.

I would seriously consider the regular shafts. They really helped my game once I got over the fact that I need them instead of stiff. Maybe look on ebay for some R flex pulls. Just make sure you know the tip diameter on the TM Burners before you buy. Maybe .355?

If you have access to a launch monitor, that would be optimal in showing you the difference in performance from stiff to regular.

J.

I bought them at Sports Authority so I know I can get them swapped out. But the staff there, or at least at my location, don't know very much so they aren't much help in determining which ones are best for me. The local Edwin Watts will fit me for clubs, but all I need is a simple question answered and they won't help unless I pay for a full fitting.

Where are you located?

Port St Lucie FL, 40 minutes north of West Palm Beach and 2 hours south of Orlando.

As someone who has has alternated between the two, I think you should get regular shafts. If you're already inconsistent, then on some shots you're producing a flex in the shaft and some you're not. For the flex of the shaft, it's the difference between a straight ahead fade and a push fade. Some of the forgiveness of the club heads has to do with getting back to a certain point in your swing that's difficult to get to if the shaft doesn't flex at all. Also, you'll get some extra club head speed and some more distance from a shaft that flexes properly for your swing speed.

As someone who has has alternated between the two, I think you should get regular shafts. If you're already inconsistent, then on some shots you're producing a flex in the shaft and some you're not. For the flex of the shaft, it's the difference between a straight ahead fade and a push fade. Some of the forgiveness of the club heads has to do with getting back to a certain point in your swing that's difficult to get to if the shaft doesn't flex at all. Also, you'll get some extra club head speed and some more distance from a shaft that flexes properly for your swing speed.

I've been leaning towards exchanging the clubs. After reading you response I think thats exactly what I'm going to do. It makes sense. Thanks.

Port St Lucie FL, 40 minutes north of West Palm Beach and 2 hours south of Orlando.

Well, you are welcome to come to the THP gathering we are having in FL. We can get you setup on the launch monitor on the range and try a few shafts and get it dialed in for you. Take the guess work out and I am happy to do it.

Well, you are welcome to come to the THP gathering we are having in FL. We can get you setup on the launch monitor on the range and try a few shafts and get it dialed in for you. Take the guess work out and I am happy to do it.

Is that the event at the Omni in Orlando??

Is that the event at the Omni in Orlando??

No, that one is sold out and open to Albatross Club members. In fact it sold out in just a few minutes as Ultimate Club Testing is rather huge.

This is an event open to anybody in Sarasota called The Sarasota Gauntlet. 2 days of golf with THPers.

No, that one is sold out and open to Albatross Club members. In fact it sold out in just a few minutes as Ultimate Club Testing is rather huge.

This is an event open to anybody in Sarasota called The Sarasota Gauntlet. 2 days of golf with THPers.

Thats the opposite side of the state from me. Not gonna be able to make that. :-(

Well, I hope you get it resolved.

THP events are sometimes worth the drive of a few hours. Just a heads up in the future that there are a few in FL and if you ask just about anybody that has been to one, they will tell you a few hour drive for a weekend of golf with THPers is amazing.

Again, no pressure at all, and I am sure events will be a bit closer sometime in the future. If you change your mind, I would be happy to spend some time with you trying out shafts on the launch monitor.

Either way, I hope you get it resolved.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?47563-The-THP-Sarasota-Gauntlet

THP events are sometimes worth the drive of a few hours. Just a heads up in the future that there are a few in FL and if you ask just about anybody that has been to one, they will tell you a few hour drive for a weekend of golf with THPers is amazing.

Again, no pressure at all, and I am sure events will be a bit closer sometime in the future.

Maybe I will check it out. So I don't have to do a search and find it can you please post a link here with the info.

I edited my above post with some more info as well as the link.

Again, no pressure at all, and I am sure events will be a bit closer sometime in the future. If you change your mind, I would be happy to spend some time with you trying out shafts on the launch monitor.

Either way, I hope you get it resolved.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?47563-The-THP-Sarasota-Gauntlet

I'm sure I'll need someone to wipe the brown from my nose after this post.

But this right here, is why this is the best site not golf site, but best site bar none on the web. You have the founder/owner of this site offering his time and services to help out a brand new member. And from the short time I've spent on here, I have no doubt JB would make the offer for anyone regardless of how long they've been here.

And the fact that there are so many outings popping up locally/regionally shows what a truly outstanding and great group of golfers make up this community.

I continue to be impressed by it more and more every day.

Thanks THP'ers all over and for the 1,000th time thanks JB and GolferGal.

Thanks for all the help. Great to have so much support.

I went into Dicks Sporting Goods today and got the sales guy to throw me on the simulator for a few swing speed tests. I posted an average of 88mph(Delorean time travel speed). From he told me, I'm right in the bubble between regular and stiff flex. I'm opting to keep the stiffs for now. I figured that as my skills improve and I learn better form that the speed will pick up. I have really done conditioning drills, I think it's time to start. What do you guys thing. Good idea?..

What club were you swinging 88mph?

What club were you swinging 88mph?

Started with a TM R1 and was around 82-86, then went to a TM Burner Superfast 2.0 and went to 88-94(My bag has a TM Burner Superfast 1.0 so this is the most comparable club)

Oh, so it was your driver. Gotcha, I thought you were working on iron shafts. Most would say that 88 with a driver would fall on the side of regular.

Oh, so it was your driver. Gotcha, I thought you were working on iron shafts. Most would say that 88 with a driver would fall on the side of regular.

The guy told me that 95 is about where stiff clubs should start at.

Do you thinking keeping the stiffs and working on my swing is a good idea?

Back