Removing Driver ??

I need to hit it. I’ve had a Titleist 503h 2 iron in my bag for 13 years and it’s time for an upgrade.
You may find it goes too far or flies too high.

The key part of your analysis is use. If you aren’t using a club, regardless of what club it is, eliminate it. I take my hat off to you, though. I know that I can’t hit a 1 iron.

The key part of your analysis is use. If you aren’t using a club, regardless of what club it is, eliminate it. I take my hat off to you, though. I know that I can’t hit a 1 iron.

And that's where Shotscope has come in really handy. It's already taken the 60* out of the bag and now the driver has followed. It has stopped the new driver pondering too

I know I am going to get much more use out of the 510 than I do the driver and then pondering the 2 and 3 irons may come into play rather than using hybrids n those spots

Pretty crazy, can’t believe a driver is being replaced with a 1 iron regardless of how it’s used.
If you don’t use it yeah get it out.

I would never remove my driver, but to each his own.
If you don't use it, it's a wasted tool in your bag.

That's the thing though, looking at my Shotscope data, in the past 29 rounds I have hit my driver 4 times. That too me is just a wasted spot in the bag now

But as you said, each to their own

Would totally depend on the track I was playing. I'm kinda hooked on the CC's of the driver and worked hard to overcome driver issues years ago.
With the 3 hybrids in your bag, I might toss out the 4 iron. I'd have to think any shot that club would provide, one of the hybrids could be used to accomplish.

They did the math a few years ago how most people really don't benefit from 3W off the tee anymore vs. 460cc drivers due to the larger head providing more forgiveness despite the longer shaft length. If you put driver or 3W in my hands, I'm gonna have way more cofidence with 460cc's. (y)

I'd learn to use a driver. You're leaving a weapon and 460cc out of your bag. If control is an issue, go shorter. I've played with a 43.5 in driver before - did not lose much yardage, gained control. I still grip down when I want control and let it rip (to the extent I am able) or girp down and hit it with less speed when looking for a shorter distance (like a 215+ par 3 or laying up to avoid a hazard)

That's the thing though, looking at my Shotscope data, in the past 29 rounds I have hit my driver 4 times. That too me is just a wasted spot in the bag now

But as you said, each to their own
Because the shot does not call for it, or because it is a shot weakness in the bag, so you don't go to it as often?

Because the shot does not call for it, or because it is a shot weakness in the bag, so you don't go to it as often?

That’s the thing. When I need to I can use it. I will admit though it is not the greatest club in the bag for me

I have always been able to hit a 3 wood almost as far as the driver but with much more accuracy and consistency

Gone are the days when I can reach Par 5’s in two so I would much rather be in the fairway 20 yards or so further back knowing I can then play an easy shot up the fairway towards the green

I think people get hung up on hitting the ball as far as they can do. That’s great if you can also keep it in play

I’m taking the 3 wood and making sure I am still up the fairway and in play, even if it’s 20 yards or so further back than if I had hit driver

I played last week with my boss and his son who was hitting driver all the time, and hitting it well. I was not that far behind him from the tee and at the end of the round I had shot the lower score by a fair few

I just feel that I am going to use the 510 way more than I would ever use the driver at the moment.

The driver can stay in the spare bag for when it is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd learn to use a driver. You're leaving a weapon and 460cc out of your bag. If control is an issue, go shorter. I've played with a 43.5 in driver before - did not lose much yardage, gained control. I still grip down when I want control and let it rip (to the extent I am able) or girp down and hit it with less speed when looking for a shorter distance (like a 215+ par 3 or laying up to avoid a hazard)

I know how to use the driver though. I normally choose not to use it though for the reasons in my post above

That’s the thing. When I need to I can use it. I will admit though it is not the greatest club in the bag for me

I have always been able to hit a 3 wood almost as far as the driver but with much more accuracy and consistency

Gone are the days when I can reach Par 5’s in two so I would much rather be in the fairway 20 yards or so further back knowing I can then play an easy shot up the fairway towards the green

I think people get hung up on hitting the ball as far as they can do. That’s great if you can also keep it in play

I’m taking the 3 wood and making sure I am still up the fairway and in play, even if it’s 20 yards or so further back than if I had hit driver

I played last week with my boss and his son who was hitting driver all the time, and hitting it well. I was not that far behind him from the tee and at the end of the round I had shot the lower score by a fair few

I just feel that I am going to use the 510 way more than I would ever use the driver at the moment.

The driver can stay in the spare bag for when it is needed

Agreed. For me, the driver is going to be more consistent overall. If I catch 3 wood squarely, it goes about the same as driver. ((Sometimes when I don't want it to.)) If I mis-hit that 3W, I find I'm in as much trouble had I hit driver, and maybe considerably further back for my next shot.
I'm way more confident bunting a shot out there with 460cc's versus that smaller 3W head. 3W's don't have much use in my bag anymore, really. Never did. If I went for it in two on a par 5, it usually meant driver/hybrid. Easier to hold the green. Was usually more accurate off the tee with the shorter shafted hybrids than the 3W as well. Its just never been a strong club for me in the bag. Even when heads were all tiny, I'd often drop down to the 5W for a lot of shots.

If it's a short course that demands accuracy, sounds like a smart move. I do like what Desmond said about shortening the driver, I used to primarily hit 3 wood but a well hit driver is really useful into a head wind.
OP, what is the rest of your bag set up?

I suspect the OP is playing links courses where most of the rest of us are not. Use the clubs that are useful on the courses you play. I could play without driver on my courses, but: 1) it is soft here much of the time and there is limited roll out, 2) I don't hit it that far to start with, and 3) as a result I end up with longer approach shots when using shorter clubs.

Strokes gained taught me that for my game longer approaches = worse scores. I can keep the driver in play and need to use it.

Dave

It's not Links golf unfortunately, but most of the holes do require an accurate shot as most holes are lined by Trees and OOB

normally I play a wide open links style course and I almost always hit the driver. Last weekend I played a narrow, tree lined, hilly old course. I was in the trees about 1/2 of the day. I tried backing down to the 3h on hole 4 but was too amped up I guess and hooked it ob. not my best day by any means.

Good luck with the 1 iron versus your driver. I hope you hit the new 1 iron better than your previous one!(y)

Would totally depend on the track I was playing. I'm kinda hooked on the CC's of the driver and worked hard to overcome driver issues years ago.
With the 3 hybrids in your bag, I might toss out the 4 iron. I'd have to think any shot that club would provide, one of the hybrids could be used to accomplish.

They did the math a few years ago how most people really don't benefit from 3W off the tee anymore vs. 460cc drivers due to the larger head providing more forgiveness despite the longer shaft length. If you put driver or 3W in my hands, I'm gonna have way more cofidence with 460cc's. (y)

That's where I am as well. Modern drivers are so much more forgiving that I'd rather take the size off the tee than a 'safe' three wood. But I play with a guy who bombs his 3 wood longer than my driver, so it works for him.

And the new 5 woods are so hot, that I ended up dropping a 3W from the bag. The 5W gets enough distance for a 'safe' tee shot and is a lot easier to hit off the deck that an 3W.

Big props to OP though. Being able to hit a 1-iron is something a lot of us can only dream of doing.

One problem I have is that I practiced driver a lot to get over issues with it, but tended to neglect practicing tee shots with hybrids and the 3W.
I'd always hit some as I worked up the bag, but usually off the deck. Sometimes that tee can be a bugaboo? I try to tee those clubs low and sweep a little more like off the deck. Now I need new shafts and more practice.

One problem I have is that I practiced driver a lot to get over issues with it, but tended to neglect practicing tee shots with hybrids and the 3W.
I'd always hit some as I worked up the bag, but usually off the deck. Sometimes that tee can be a bugaboo? I try to tee those clubs low and sweep a little more like off the deck. Now I need new shafts and more practice.

Just play a stinger with the 3W off the tee and you'll be fine.

Back