Replace Irons with Hybrids?

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've never really felt comfortable with my irons. One the range the other day a friend loaned me her 8h just to check out. Saw immediate improvement in disbursement vs. my 8i, So I wonder if I should swap out my irons for hybrids?

I've never really felt comfortable with my irons. One the range the other day a friend loaned me her 8h just to check out. Saw immediate improvement in disbursement vs. my 8i, So I wonder if I should swap out my irons for hybrids?
Go for it! My Dad plays a full set of hybrids and they’ve dramatically improved his game.

Golf is hard. Make it easier. (y)

If you feel more confident with them, why not? If I was considering this, I'd also take a hard look at both the Cleveland Launcher UHX and Turbo lines.

I play hybrids starting at 5H and 4H because I'm better with a hybrid filling the 5i slot than a 5i.

Mark Crossfield plays a Cleveland HB Turbo 6i - hybrid because it gives him the performance he wants along with a Srixon 4H which he knows how to work for varying yardages unlike us.

I've seen a guy play a full set of HB Turbos thru PW on the course. He loved them. Add in the Cleveland CBX2 wedges.

My first iron is a 5i (and I constantly debate replacing that with a hybrid). I use a 2h, 3h, and 4h regularly. They gap fine with my driver and I don’t carry a fairway wood atm

If you hit them better, I don't see any reason why not. Make the game as easy as possible.

Play the best club in that spot for your game and swing. I play 4&5 hybrids and have considered getting a 6 already.

Considering a 7 wood than a 4 utility than a 5 through pw set...

I just ordered a 5 hybrid to replace an ironwood. So I will soon have 4w, 7w, 3-5h and 6 ironwood. Then 7 down are irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to look at the Tour Edge ironwoods. They are a good compromise. I have been using those over the last few years because I struggled with hybrids. I slowly started transitioning to hybrids but I don’t plan to go lower than a 5h.

It had idly occurred to me to try replacing my 4i, with which I do not perform well, with a 4h, and I was vaguely considering maybe trying that this coming season. (The 4i was almost certainly getting pulled, either way.) But the rest of my irons work well for me.

Cobra T-Rails and Wilson Launch Pads are a great place to look.

I am a firm proponent of playing what you feel good with when you address the ball. If a golfer doesn't feel good about the club in their hand the odds of hitting a good shot go down considerably IMO.

Whatever gives you consistency and enjoyment.

I formerly played 4H-6H and SGI irons - but I've taken lessons the last 3 yrs and now with more frequency. So now I only have the 4H, and go 5-PW in a more demanding iron. I find less dispersion with irons.

But you've got to find what makes the game more enjoyable for you.Just watch the shaft length of the hybrid. They get too long.

And I would look at Tour Edge products.

I have gone from 3 woods in my bag to 7. I am seriously considering just keeping normal irons from 9 up and hybrid from 8 down. Easier for me to hit and gets me better distances with no loss of accuracy.

My buddy plays all hybrids and is very good at it. He's young too. Guy is a robot with them, including chipping.

Whatever makes the game more enjoyable and fun is what you should do. Swapping to hybrids for certain irons is no different than playing a forgiving driver over a low spin smaller head driver.

Try a set of Nike Slingshots or Cleveland HiBores. A good used set can found on eBay at a reasonable price. These hybrid like irons are very forgiving.

Full set of utility irons might be a good option also. Srixon rep showed me one a while back that has not been made official yet. Srixon ZX4 is the set number. All utilities and Srixon utilities are amazing

Go get a set of Altitudes and LOVE it. They’re still to this day special special clubs.

If you hit them better and see better results, then you will likely gain confidence and enjoy it more

Give them a try, I would say you have got nothing to lose from the sound of things

If it makes the game more fun for you I say go for it.

I've switched out my set so that my first actual iron is an eight iron. The rest are hybrids. It's happened over many years as I've gotten older and lost head speed. My first hybrid was a Snake Eyes that supposedly took the place of a 5 wood or a two iron. It was great and saved me many strokes. A couple of years later I added a four hybrid, then a 5. A couple years and I added a 6 hybrid as I couldn't seem to get consistent contact and results with my six iron any more. Finally, two years ago I added a 7 hybrid. I could still hit my 7 iron fairly well but came across the matching hybrid and decided to try it. My results were close to the same as hitting my 7 iron but the hybrid went quite a bit higher and landed softer, so the 7 iron left my bag also. I think I done now though unless I end up buying a full hybrid set in a couple of years.

Back