Replacing Tiger..... in the aggregate.

Dt1741

Reaction score
Handicap
Let me be the first to state that no one will ever replace the greatness and excitement produced by Tiger Woods. However, I argue that we could potentially create him in the aggregate. Imagine if you would, Spieth gets his magic back, Bryson is deconstructing golf courses, Rory finds his form and is chasing the slam and sprinkle in a few others. I believe the excitement of these players could match the Tiger mania that we all miss. What say you? Would you throw anyone else to watch in out aggregate Tiger?

If Rory started playing consistently good as did Bryons, DJ, and Speith. You would see some serious excitement..

Watching a BAD and JS battle on Sunday at the Masters in the final pairing would be a battle of the ages pitting power vs scrambling magic but I don’t know if can move the needle like Tiger did in his prime.

From Jones in the 20's up until now there has been a long list of exciting players playing the great game of Golf. Tiger is just in that line. I have been watching/playing golf since the 1950s. Hopefully I will be around when the next great whiz-bang comes around and shakes up the golf world. See you at the nineteenth hole, cheers.

Tiger will be back within 2 years with all the advanced therapy and rehab and may even play well again at times IMO then golf will be even more popular - I do think don’t discount the popular Morakawa really taking off and several others from that age range could too. I am myself hoping that Rory finds himself soon - my favorite on tour having met him.

Those guys like winning. Probably just as much as Tiger does. But, none of them, even in the aggregate, hate losing as much as Tiger.

As much as I want that to be the case, nothing is going to replicate Tigermania. It’s on a whole other level.

Only If it were the top 10 in the world battling it out for the Green Jacket on Sunday afternoon that it could get close to it.

Watching a BAD and JS battle on Sunday at the Masters in the final pairing would be a battle of the ages pitting power vs scrambling magic but I don’t know if can move the needle like Tiger did in his prime.
It would be insane!!!! I think it could get close.

Those guys like winning. Probably just as much as Tiger does. But, none of them, even in the aggregate, hate losing as much as Tiger.
Thats very true. Bryson may have a chip on his shoulder like Tiger. Maybe.

As much as I want that to be the case, nothing is going to replicate Tigermania. It’s on a whole other level.

Only If it were the top 10 in the world battling it out for the Green Jacket on Sunday afternoon that it could get close to it.
Well lets hope it happens. Tiger was insane. It was freakin sorcery.

Let me be the first to state that no one will ever replace the greatness and excitement produced by Tiger Woods. However, I argue that we could potentially create him in the aggregate. Imagine if you would, Spieth gets his magic back, Bryson is deconstructing golf courses, Rory finds his form and is chasing the slam and sprinkle in a few others. I believe the excitement of these players could match the Tiger mania that we all miss. What say you? Would you throw anyone else to watch in out aggregate Tiger?

If a player were to come on and start winning 5 to 7 tournaments a year, including Majors, that player would earn Tiger-like attention. I don't expect any of the current Tour players to accomplish this , so it may be awhile before another Tiger appears.
Spieth, DeChambeau, Rory, DJ, JT etc... are all sensational players, but none of them are in the same conversation as Tiger. I don't think the "aggregate" of several great players means much to fans/spectators. The PGA Tour has always had an aggregate of great players, but only once every 20 years or so does a single player emerge as a game changer.

IMO it can’t be done.

If a player were to come on and start winning 5 to 7 tournaments a year, including Majors, that player would earn Tiger-like attention. I don't expect any of the current Tour players to accomplish this , so it may be awhile before another Tiger appears.
Spieth, DeChambeau, Rory, DJ, JT etc... are all sensational players, but none of them are in the same conversation as Tiger. I don't think the "aggregate" of several great players means much to fans/spectators. The PGA Tour has always had an aggregate of great players, but only once every 20 years or so does a single player emerge as a game changer.
But if we got the old spieth, this bryson? Thats some serious magic. I think it could be close. Spieth was close by himself during his run.

But if we got the old spieth, this bryson? Thats some serious magic. I think it could be close. Spieth was close by himself during his run.
Not outside the golf fan world he wasn't. Sadly.
Tiger hit the perfect storm. Winning at a historical clip. "Different" than other golfers. And at a time when golf was down. It was perfection for the media that needed something.

With that said, Bryson is also "different" and if he were to excel to even close what some have predicted for a few years, he will be a needle mover the like we have not seen since Tiger Woods.

I guess for watching at the event or on television , on a scale of 1 to 10 the list is probably :

1) Tiger 10 of 10
2) Palmer 6 of 10
3) Nicklaus 5 of 10
4) Mickelson 2 of 10
5) Spieth, Bryson, Norman, Watson 1 of 10

Tiger hit the perfect storm. Winning at a historical clip. "Different" than other golfers. And at a time when golf was down. It was perfection for the media that needed something.

With that said, Bryson is also "different" and if he were to excel to even close what some have predicted for a few years, he will be a needle mover the like we have not seen since Tiger Woods.
Good points

Good points

And to further how much bigger it is, Nicklaus domination was not even in the same ball park TV ratings wise. Hell, even his epic 1986, ranks near the bottom 10 in viewer appeal based on data.

I’m pretty sure I felt the ground shake at the only tournament I saw Tiger in person. There’s no filling the gap that he leaves.

I was kind of interested in knowing how Spieth may or may not have moved the "needle". I figured he wouldn't be a big one given the fact there isn't really anything "unique" about him like you have with Bryson had with Tiger etc.

I would assume you could say similar things about someone like DJ

I was kind of interested in knowing how Spieth may or may not have moved the "needle". I figured he wouldn't be a big one given the fact there isn't really anything "unique" about him like you have with Bryson had with Tiger etc.

Spieth during his run did pretty well. He did pretty well earlier this year too. He is a fan favorite, and his handlers of done a great job of keeping that image looking squeaky clean for that. His 2 shot lead at Augusta that led to a Willet victory was TV ratings disaster, I think bottom 5 in Masters history, but outside of that, I think its hard to argue how good he is for the game as a whole. At least in a group with others. He is extremely marketable, but outside of TX, him walking down the street, outside of golf fans, I am not sure he is recognized. Kind of like JT.

Spieth during his run did pretty well. He did pretty well earlier this year too. He is a fan favorite, and his handlers of done a great job of keeping that image looking squeaky clean for that. His 2 shot lead at Augusta that led to a Willet victory was TV ratings disaster, I think bottom 5 in Masters history, but outside of that, I think its hard to argue how good he is for the game as a whole. At least in a group with others. He is extremely marketable, but outside of TX, him walking down the street, outside of golf fans, I am not sure he is recognized. Kind of like JT.

I would definitely agree with that point. Even INSIDE of TX I am guessing non golf fans wouldn't recognize him, however, I think you could say that about most guys on tour.

Dude chips in from everywhere and makes 30 footers like its a 6 footer. The fact that he is the ultimate grinder makes him unique. Please give me a spieth, bryson final pairing this week.

Dude chips in from everywhere and makes 30 footers like its a 6 footer. The fact that he is the ultimate grinder makes him unique. Please give me a spieth, bryson final pairing this week.

Trust me I would be just fine with that :sneaky:

I would definitely agree with that point. Even INSIDE of TX I am guessing non golf fans wouldn't recognize him, however, I think you could say that about most guys on tour.
I think that is what separates some of it. I will give you an example on Spieth. He does more with less than anybody on tour that is for sure. He doesnt use social media. He just "is". When he is winning in clips, the "is" is a pretty darn big draw. When he isn't, outside of his fans, he is literally forgotten. There are others that are all over social interacting with fans, etc. Those guys make a ripple in the water turn into a wave, but until one wins in a big clip, its not sustainable. Phil was one of the biggest draws ever because of that. Rickie Fowler is a great example of it.

I think Tony Finau could be an absolute MONSTER of a draw if his game comes around. Freak athlete. Long hitter. Good person. Interacts with fans constantly and is "different". Bryson for the exact same reason. I dont think there is a player on tour that interacts and grow the game as much as Bryson does, with his Twitch stuff and social media.

I think that is what separates some of it. I will give you an example on Spieth. He does more with less than anybody on tour that is for sure. He doesnt use social media. He just "is". When he is winning in clips, the "is" is a pretty darn big draw. When he isn't, outside of his fans, he is literally forgotten. There are others that are all over social interacting with fans, etc. Those guys make a ripple in the water turn into a wave, but until one wins in a big clip, its not sustainable. Phil was one of the biggest draws ever because of that. Rickie Fowler is a great example of it.

I think Tony Finau could be an absolute MONSTER of a draw if his game comes around. Freak athlete. Long hitter. Good person. Interacts with fans constantly and is "different". Bryson for the exact same reason. I dont think there is a player on tour that doesn't interact and grow the game as much as Bryson does, with his Twitch stuff and social media.

That is a really interesting point regarding social media. Looking at JS Instagram / Twitter he certainly doesn't use it much, and definitely nowhere near on the same level as someone like Bryson.

I cannot speak to his fan interaction, I know he does quite a bit to support charity, especially things around his sister, but not sure about fan interaction(s) on and off the course.

Back