[RESEARCH] My SL(Single Length) Iron set build/test progression log

Sennamont

Reaction score
Handicap
Allergies
Like many enthusiasts here, I was itching to try out the theory behind the single length irons after Bryson DeChambeau made a few headlines with them. Fast forward to a few month of research (and with the help of big brother's tax return I am glad to say I can build a set(part 1 of this thread) that is matched to my specs and test how well the SL theory is outside of paper for a 12 handicap player with at least half a year with the set (part 2 of this thread), as well as testing problem theorized by the single length iron, gaping issues with non-tour swingspeed. Data will be compared to my current year's Grint statistics. I will be starting to game these on 10/1.

Some background information:

Player height: 5'8
wrist to floor: 32.5"
Handicap: 12.3
Average round score: 80-85

Current set: Ping i25/glide wedges CFS stock length shaft gold dot(-3.75 flat) 5-9, P(45), G(50), S(55):: 8 iron: 37 degrees 60 lie, 36.25 length ~95G shaft C9-D0 swingweight

Trackman distances: Average drive: 230-240 //7 iron: 135-140 yrds //SW: 60 yrds in. Average Driver swing speed: 88-92

Specialty shot: 80yds stinger wedge at 50yds
----
After many rounds of research(cool article here), I have decided to forego one of the most popular option (Tom Wishon's Sterling Irons) because they are rather pricey. I decided to build my own set to my specs(I have had experience in building clubs and have materials to build/fit myself) Currently there's 1irongolf and pinhawk(value golf) set that makes components, after further readings I have decided to purchase the Pinhawk set as follows:

Pinhawk: 4 hybrid, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P(47), G(51), S(55) all bend to 2 degrees flat at 60.5 degrees. :: all matched to in-between my 7 and 8 iron at: 60.50 lie, 36.50 length ~94G shaft C9-D0 swingweight.

Shaft: Apollo Acculite 95 as they are the closest to my current CFS ping wedges, a cheap alternative, I do live next to Ping so if these don't live up to my expectations I can swap them.

Grip: Pure P2 grips 50grams

---
Phase 1:build log progression
::Material Gathering::

Arrival
HzF69eR.jpg

ValueGolf wrapped them quite well, also threw me a set of ferrules for free which was nice( I didn't buy any since I still had 10 left over from last job, but very great consideration)
KAlY4Vg.jpg

All of valuegolf's content, ~$290
nq8Fht0.jpg

Build quality is higher than I expected.
EIEkNaC.jpg

Last edited:
Now I bought the Apollo acculite 95 from value golf as well, they were the closest to my PING CFS 99(95).
8TkuBha.jpg

Bought a set of Pure p2 grips on ebay for cheap ~$32, usually a set of 13 is $60, grips are for later
INZVLxC.jpg

::pREP WORK::

Tipping to between my 7 and 8 iron regular flex so it is 3 inches on these shafts.
8H2Grq4.jpg

My battle station, it is rather late and I have early meetings tomorrow so I will work on it tomorrow night.
ps7hPYs.jpg

Sounds like a fun experiment. Can't wait to read more on your progress and build

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This is phenomenal, I'll be watching this thread. Single length irons or not, always cool to see people build their own custom equipment.

Looking forward to further updates.

Cool. Keep going.

Do you have (or have access to) a loft machine so you can tweek lofts after the set is built. I would guess you are going to have to add loft to the wedges and subtract from the long irons. It will be interesting to see how the initial gapping works out.

Sounds like an awesome project. Hope to see many updates.

I've definitely interested so I'll follow along...

Good start! Interested to see how they come out!

Do you have (or have access to) a loft machine so you can tweek lofts after the set is built. I would guess you are going to have to add loft to the wedges and subtract from the long irons. It will be interesting to see how the initial gapping works out.
Unfortunately that is the only other essential club tweaking tool I do not have at home, my buddy works at a pro shop nearby so I can ask him to tweak if needed.

The thing I wanted to test is the gapping between long irons and short wedges. For the same length the long irons with traditional loft would be too close together with my swing speed, but pinhawk supposedly fixes it with 5 degree gapping. As for short irons they have three degrees of loft in-between, and they are pretty close to my current wedges. if the gap is too close I can ditch the gap wedge. These are just hypothesis. Stuck in a meeting

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good thread! I am going to be doing a similar project soon.

What are you using to make the head weights all the same?

::weigh in time::

Eventhough the website said the head are 272 grams but I'm getting consistent 269.5+-0.2 for all the iron heads, with the exception of the hybrid head, which clocks in at 270(which is perfect for me since they sent me ferrules that are 1.3 grams, and my normal ferrules are only 0.9 grams. Math!
PfOtfbq.jpg

oNy42yX.jpg

lVqNCXo.jpg

1NDUfUo.jpg

fWcllB7.jpg

UhqjX7C.jpg

Shaft raw is at 101.9 after cut is around 91
xrepCyO.jpg

::tipping::
0L3zGib.jpg

bfgJbBB.jpg

sanding to texture a bit
XH9r4s7.jpg

:: ok everything is pre assembled and cut down from the tip, length looks good::
c0fXraW.jpg

What are you using to make the head weights all the same?
Didn't see you post right before mine.

They are all 272g on website

Although I weighed them and all the irons heads are 269.5+-0.1, with the exception of hybrid head that is 270. So with the 1.5gram weight ferrule and some epoxy it is pretty close to their estimate of 272.

::Assembly::
testing make sure everything fits before the epoxy
un4n46I.jpg

Ferrule block, makes the ferrule installation easier
CrSFKzp.jpg

This was enough epoxy to make 9 clubs
7rY8R01.jpg

mix em up
W5CKszw.jpg

mix them in and assemble
EbIRUUJ.jpg

All done, dry for 12+ hours
Eny8IJk.jpg

:: Cut to length, grip installation::
6lhpjSi.jpg

after cutting all of the shafts
BgHQtpG.jpg

I like to apply some masking tape at the bottom of the grip for less taper
GRNL0fv.jpg

air them on
z1HV9P5.jpg

NAbaXT6.jpg

AdVAaAz.jpg

Swingweight all at D1
W5R6rTx.jpg

Into the bag they go!
EnLfBC5.jpg

Bonus lie board testing, lie angle looks good! I will now begin Phase 2: testing them out for 6 month and compare the data with my traditional irons.
t3gmkGE.jpg

Thanks - those pixs are terrific. So looking forward to your testing/evaluation phase.

I could be wrong, but I thought you had to mess with the clubhead weights of these length clubs. I thought that club loft alone wasn't enough to make the gapping.

Great work though. I can't remove a single grip without damaging some part of the club.

Wow. 3" of tipping to make it R flex ? I would have never guessed that

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing how they work out for you.

I forgot to ask before, are these heads designed for single length or are they just regular heads? Thanks

I forgot to ask before, are these heads designed for single length or are they just regular heads? Thanks

Not the OP, but those are designed for single length - same headweight and lie. Based off the old Acer XP 905 irons which I thought were some of their best.

Just ordered the pinhawks, heads only, 4-S. I'm undecided on the shaft, however, but leaning towards DG XP115 X100's.

Ok so before phase 2, here are stats from the past year using my beloved i25s. Will compare with future stats:

Past 50 rounds(GRINT):
Handicap: 13.6
Average score: 85
Putts: 35.6
GIR putt: 2.2
AVG. GIR: 6.1 (33.8%)
Fairway Accuracy: 70.5%
Driving GIR fairway hit: 36.27%
Par 3 iron accuracy: 41.7%
Avg Par saves: 25.56%
Avg Sand saves: 11.31%
Avg Penalty strokes: 2.48
Avg Putts after bunker: 1.9
Putts after bunker:
cc126873d9.png

a1a655b587.png

e5c13cd4cc.png

eccddbb801.png

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I thought you had to mess with the clubhead weights of these length clubs. I thought that club loft alone wasn't enough to make the gapping.

Great work though. I can't remove a single grip without damaging some part of the club.
Here's a interesting study done if you have time to read, insightful stuff. http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/OneClub.php

After my testing with these clubs my theory based on his study is that I can reach optimal setup with hybriding the bag with my conventional wedges, single length 4-9(or 8).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back