Retief Goosen: Hall of Famer?

21 wins across the the two major tours + 2 majors is plain and simple easy yes

By today's standards, no doubt! Back in the 60's and 70's not so much!!!

Seems like the HoF is turning into another participation trophy. Will it ever end?

He is not a HOFer if I were to set the criteria, but based on past admissions he seems like he fits.

Seems like the HoF is turning into another participation trophy. Will it ever end?
But not everyone gets into the Hall?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Without looking at the resumes of other HOFfers, and just looking at his record, my gut would say no.

At the same time, I would think that most people today would put Rickie Fowler in the HOF, despite NO majors and less tour wins. But maybe that is wrong.

Without looking at the resumes of other HOFfers, and just looking at his record, my gut would say no.

At the same time, I would think that most people today would put Rickie Fowler in the HOF, despite NO majors and less tour wins. But maybe that is wrong.
Oh dear lord I would hope Fowler wouldn't get in based on his current resume.

Goosen? Why not? The Golf Hall of Fame lost all credibility to me when guys like Tom Kite, Freddie Couples, and Ben Crenshaw got in. All good golfers, but HOF material? It seemed like they just began inducting which ever warm body had some name recognition in order to promote the Hall and World Golf Village with a televised event every year on Golf Channel.

Is the golf hof similar to basketball hof where guys who have significant impact/influence on the game get in (like Yao Ming)? If so that would be good reason for Couples to get in. Goosen has 21 wins and 2 majors which seems like a legit reason for HoF to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear lord I would hope Fowler wouldn't get in based on his current resume.

I know! He hasn't done anything really. But damn he is popular. And he's got so many top 10s in majors! :D

This pretty much tells us the criteria is to win two majors, although Freddy Couples got in with one Major and Monte got in with none. In Freddy's case he was a very popular player with fans and players alike which is what got him into the HOF, Monte got in based on good record in the Ryder cup and order of merit standings? I never did understand that selection.

This pretty much tells us the criteria is to win two majors, although Freddy Couples got in with one Major and Monte got in with none. In Freddy's case he was a very popular player with fans and players alike which is what got him into the HOF, Monte got in based on good record in the Ryder cup and order of merit standings? I never did understand that selection.

You can't have a televised induction ceremony without an inductee. Have to put somebody in every year.

2 majors, 7 tour and 14 Euro tour wins.... no, not a HoFer....Don’t you get a lifetime exemption on PGA tour after 20 wins? Maybe that is the standard for HoF? Win 20 tour events and your in HOF?

This is tough with the PGA and European Tours being separate; are we counting Champions Tour wins too? Monty is fourth on the Euro Tour win list with no majors. Goose is T17 with two majors and so is Greg Norman and he's in the HoF after giving up the 54 hole lead at the '86 US Open and a six shot 54 hole lead at the '96 Masters.

Monte is 4th all time in wins on euro tour, Id imagine that would be a strong enough resume for HoF.

Monte is 4th all time in wins on euro tour, Id imagine that would be a strong enough resume for HoF.

He was 0fer when playing the best folders in the world, no way he should be in.

Of course the Goose should be in. But then again I am not really partial. :)

The problem I have with the golf HOF is that, unlike Canton or Cooperstown, the golf HOF puts in players that are currently active. Never quite understood that.

The problem I have with the golf HOF is that, unlike Canton or Cooperstown, the golf HOF puts in players that are currently active. Never quite understood that.

My guess is they want to make sure the inductees are alive when they are inducted. With the champions tour a lot of these guys can play until they are old enough to die of natural causes, which isn’t the case in any other sport.

They let Freddy in with one major I'm not sure how you keep out Goosen or JD with two.

They let Freddy in with one major I'm not sure how you keep out Goosen or JD with two.
Freddie had more PGA wins than either of them. Daly seems like a no.

Just hearing the name my answer was "no" but seeing his record, it is hard to argue against anyone who wins two majors. (Yes, I realize this means John Daly gets in)

Back