Right index finger

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
Hello GolfTEC! I'm curious about the right index finger and it's function during the swing. I have mine about a centimetre away from my middle finger, but I'm curious about the pressure that should be applied by this finger during the swing. Sometimes I feel that my right hand gets 'lazy' and prevents me from squaring up the face at impact. Should I feel the pressure point created by my index finger during the entire swing? Are there any other pressure points which I should be concentrating on? Thanks!

The right index finger can provide some valuable feedback and control in the swing, as long as it's the correct part of the finger doing most of the work. The pad between the 2nd knuckle and where the finger meets the hand is where most of the contact should be focused. It's also why many pros tend to tape that portion of their finger- the tape adds support (and a little protection from chafing) that bears the brunt of the right hand's interaction with the East-West axis (if North-South is perpendicular to the target).

A good test to see how well that is controlling your swing is hitting some right-hand only chips. Preset a little forward lean, pushing the leading edge of the club into the ground and notice that that part of the index finger is having to brace/support that pressure. Once you've established that feel, keep that pressure constant and hit some baby chip shots with only your right hand. On such a small swing, you'll be able to tell what degree of involvement of your "trigger finger" will assist in squaring the face.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

I just now noticed your response, thanks Trevor.

Mike

There are some that say the position of the right index finger was Ben Hogan's "secret" He used it like a trigger finger and controled the shaft with it

There are some that say the position of the right index finger was Ben Hogan's "secret" He used it like a trigger finger and controled the shaft with it

That's what I heard

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back