the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
So when I get to the top of my backswing my left shoulder stops and my right shoulder carries on and it causes me a massive over swing and I end up throwing the right shoulder first on the down swing, problem is I can't feel when to stop. Can anyone please help with this.

One of the keys to good ball striking is keeping the club in front of the body throughput the backswing. The golf swing is a turn and lift, drop and turn series of movements. The left arm and left side control the swing while the right side guides and steadies the left side. The feeling for many elite golfers is the left side folding into the right side (like an envelope) with the right side stretching upwards. The role of the right arm is to remain straight during the during the takeaway to give the backswing width. When it folds during the upswing the elbow stays in and down as the hands pass it. The key to this is to rotate the right forearm clockwise during the second half of the backswing. When the left shoulder stops a conscious effort is made to extend the left shoulder a little further. This final twist of the shoulder extends the upper back and starts the transition sequence. Viewed from behind the back is in a reverse C shape at the completion of the backswing. Without this C shape the body will be cut out of the downswing on full shots.

Towel drill? I'm not sure I'm accurately picturing what you're describing because of word choice, but it sounds like something throwing a towel under that right arm would help.

My brain isnt functioning properly. It would appear as if you are taking the club away outside and upright. Position as you approach the top looks pretty good, but then you somehow manage to come down out to in and probably hit a pull or a pull slice. Hips do appear to be slow IMHO, they are the engine of the downswing, and if they are turning properly they will get you shallower and inside/out.

Diisclaimer- I am certainly no swing coach, especially before my 2nd cup of Joe.,

My brain isnt functioning properly. It would appear as if you are taking the club away outside and upright. Position as you approach the top looks pretty good, but then you somehow manage to come down out to in and probably hit a pull or a pull slice. Hips do appear to be slow IMHO, they are the engine of the downswing, and if they are turning properly they will get you shallower and inside/out.

Diisclaimer- I am certainly no swing coach, especially before my 2nd cup of Joe.,
As I approach the top my right should/arm goes behind me and I throw it from there, if I try to come down out to in I get stuck. my right arm is bent to much and glued to my side. I have a lesson next week but a comp to play Saturday I need to get on top of it.

Your issue is directly related to powering your trunk turn through the shoulders. The correct way is to coil the body through the spinal muscles from the pelvis up. These are supported by rotating both sides of the ribcage. When done correctly the shoulder blades glide over the ribcage. Any decent Pilates web site will have an article on mastering spinal rotation.

working on not letting the right arm get behind me by feeling it lift if you like away from the rib cage rather than it feel like it’s going behind the difference at the top is chalk and cheese.
IMG_8405.png

Keep bend in your right knee. This isn't a shoulder issue. Think of this as a reverse pivot issue.

Keep bend in your right knee. This isn't a shoulder issue. Think of this as a reverse pivot issue.
Cheers Blu I think it’s both everything gets behind me I’m starting to get pain in my shoulder from it IMG_8395.png

Check out the thread "Spine Engine Theory - Is it viable" in Swing Tips Forum
Oct 2021. It provides insight into how the spine needs to work in the golf swing.

Cheers Blu I think it’s both everything gets behind me I’m starting to get pain in my shoulder from it View attachment 9189598
To my amateur eye, your right leg straightened and you have pivoted all the way around onto your left side. Recipe for an OTT

Back