Rotator Cuff Surgery

rajohnson

Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure if this was the right area.

Thinking of finally getting my rotator cuff and labrum fixed, both have been torn for about 2 years, was able to use ice/stretching to make it bearable, but I think it’s time.

My question is to the board, anyone here have this surgery? How did affect your golf when you came back? Any concerns to be aware of?

I have played great golf with the torn ligaments, so I would assume that if I get them fixed it can only help.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother in Indiana had his done last December. He choose a time when golf was over there for the year. He could not use that arm for six weeks more less. By February, he was clear to hit half or wedge shots. By the time the season started in early April, he had been cleared to play at 100%. I know he said, there was some slight change on how the shoulder reacted to swinging a club, but in time I don't think it had any negative effect on his playing. He is 60 years BTW.

I had it done in October of 2011 on my left shoulder after living 18 months with the injury. Mine was a fully torn supraspinitus and biceps tendon from a ski fall. They also removed a couple bone spurs while they were in there. I was in a sling for 5 weeks after surgery and strictly followed the rehab that the pt recommended. I was swing a club after 2 months and at full strength at 4 months. I stopped doing the strength exercises after 7 months and some pain returned a couple months later. I started up the strength exercises again and the pain went away so I’ve been doing them 3-4 days a week ever since.

I was 46 when I had the surgery done and recovered 100%. I gained all my clubhead speed within 4-5 months and have not lost any distance since. The surgery did not change the way that I swing in any way. Get a great surgeon and Good luck!

Here’s my surgery videos if you can handle that type of thing.

One of the guys in my league had his rotator cuff done a few years back. He was super careful with rehab, and has said that he wishes he had done the surgery sooner.

I had it done in October of 2011 on my left shoulder after living 18 months with the injury. Mine was a fully torn supraspinitus and biceps tendon from a ski fall. They also removed a couple bone spurs while they were in there. I was in a sling for 5 weeks after surgery and strictly followed the rehab that the pt recommended. I was swing a club after 2 months and at full strength at 4 months. I stopped doing the strength exercises after 7 months and some pain returned a couple months later. I started up the strength exercises again and the pain went away so I’ve been doing them 3-4 days a week ever since.

I was 46 when I had the surgery done and recovered 100%. I gained all my clubhead speed within 4-5 months and have not lost any distance since. The surgery did not change the way that I swing in any way. Get a great surgeon and Good luck!

Here’s my surgery videos if you can handle that type of thing.

Thanks for the info. I am 51 now, and want to do it before I get any older. I won't watch the videos, don't like that, but thanks.

My brother in Indiana had his done last December. He choose a time when golf was over there for the year. He could not use that arm for six weeks more less. By February, he was clear to hit half or wedge shots. By the time the season started in early April, he had been cleared to play at 100%. I know he said, there was some slight change on how the shoulder reacted to swinging a club, but in time I don't think it had any negative effect on his playing. He is 60 years BTW.

Good to know, thanks. I am 51 now, so figure I might as well get it done, while I can get paid time off work.

My best friend (also in your age range) had his left labrum and maybe bone spurs also done last year in his left shoulder. Like everyone else above says to do, he followed the PT religiously. If there was any affect on his golf game it was that he had a fully functioning body part and wasn't in pain. He just scheduled his right shoulder for the same surgery. He's getting it done in mid January, after we get back from Bandon. He expects to be able to play in his member guest in June.

My best friend (also in your age range) had his left labrum and maybe bone spurs also done last year in his left shoulder. Like everyone else above says to do, he followed the PT religiously. If there was any affect on his golf game it was that he had a fully functioning body part and wasn't in pain. He just scheduled his right shoulder for the same surgery. He's getting it done in mid January, after we get back from Bandon. He expects to be able to play in his member guest in June.

Cool thanks

I had rotator cuff surgery two years ago as a result of a car accident. I am right handed and had this one on my right shoulder so it was awkward when wearing the sling. I did PT for two months and went back to work after a month. After about a year it felt relatively normal but had to stretch my arm about 20 times a day during that period. No residual effects at this time. Good luck in your decision. Hope you mend quickly!

I had rotator cuff surgery two years ago as a result of a car accident. I am right handed and had this one on my right shoulder so it was awkward when wearing the sling. I did PT for two months and went back to work after a month. After about a year it felt relatively normal but had to stretch my arm about 20 times a day during that period. No residual effects at this time. Good luck in your decision. Hope you mend quickly!

Thanks, appreciate it.

I tore my labrum, rotator cuff and bicep tendon in a weight lifting accident about 8 years ago. I had the surgery and slept in a recliner for about 10 weeks...ice machine, pain meds, recliner and good PT got me back. I couldn't lift weights for about 9 months. I tried to rush back and bike (bicycle) after about 6 weeks but it was a no go. All in all I would say it is worth it. My doc told me if it had just been my rotator cuff and labrum and I had been over the age of 45 he would have recommended i just do PT. At the time, I couldn't even pick up my little girl I was in so much pain. Recovery sucks but get yourself setup with a Laz-E-Boy and some reruns...

My nephew had his done (he is only 19) and was fully recovered in a few months. Another friend had his done a couple years ago when he was 46 or so. Took him probably 6-9 months to get back to normal, but he was playing great golf when I played with him last summer.

I have a partial tear in my right shoulder and so far have avoided getting any surgery because it isn't too painful and doesn't limit my activities. Good luck with it, the procedures have become so good that they really streamlined the whole procedure.

I will be 60 years old on Thursday. I have had both shoulders fixed for your same reasons. My only regret is that I waited for 3 years to get my left shoulder fixed in 2012.
When my right shoulder started acting up in 2016, I only waited till winter to get it fixed so I could rehab off season.
I am so happy with both surgeries. After I had the right one done in January, I made my first HIO in June. Then in late September, I threw my first perfect 300 game in bowling league and my average is now 215.

You say you won't watch the videos, but they show exactly what the doc does and he is narrating as well.
Best of luck !

Left Shoulder - 2012
[video=youtube;lv-VJhmptPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv-VJhmptPo [/video]

Right Shoulder - 2017

Thanks for all the replies, I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon next week, I am going to get the surgery, I am tired of every day being in pain. I appreciate all the info and advice given.

Good you are getting the surgery. I had mine done when I was 37. Unfortunately for me I retore it within a year and a half but it is all good now. First time since my 20’s I have no pain in my right shoulder. Now need to get my left shoulder labrum repaired next. But that is a for another time. I will say the pain from the surgery is no joke but in the long run it is worth it.

My left shoulder has caused me pain on and off for 6 months now...pretty sure I tore it while golfing...doing push ups and dips getting harder now...must have re-injured it again cause pain is the worst its ever been...never affected my golf swing until now.

Might have to actually see a orthopod now....pretty sure its rotator cuff injury...feels like pain is at insertion of the infraspinatus muscle into humerus.

But Im still playing this friday!...:).

Good you are getting the surgery. I had mine done when I was 37. Unfortunately for me I retore it within a year and a half but it is all good now. First time since my 20’s I have no pain in my right shoulder. Now need to get my left shoulder labrum repaired next. But that is a for another time. I will say the pain from the surgery is no joke but in the long run it is worth it.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have heard its not fun, but the daily pain/discomfort needs to be fixed.

I am about to go down this road also. Not looking forward to any of it but the shoulder is getting to be a problem again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know that I chimed in here early on but one thing just occurred to me that made me laugh. I am right handed and had surgery on my right shoulder. The first time I looked at a roll of toilet paper after the surgery and said to myself how am I going to do that left handed. I know I didn’t laugh then but I’m laughing now!

I know that I chimed in here early on but one thing just occurred to me that made me laugh. I am right handed and had surgery on my right shoulder. The first time I looked at a roll of toilet paper after the surgery and said to myself how am I going to do that left handed. I know I didn’t laugh then but I’m laughing now!

Yeah, I did not think of that. I am right handed too, and its my right shoulder. Should be a fun couple of months.

My left shoulder has caused me pain on and off for 6 months now...pretty sure I tore it while golfing...doing push ups and dips getting harder now...must have re-injured it again cause pain is the worst its ever been...never affected my golf swing until now.

Might have to actually see a orthopod now....pretty sure its rotator cuff injury...feels like pain is at insertion of the infraspinatus muscle into humerus.

But Im still playing this friday!...:).

I have kept playing even though I had the MRI 2 years ago, its been torn since then. Went thru rehab, even tried acupuncture. Was not too bad until about 4 months ago, been really bothering me since then, I do physical work for my job, and its getting harder to do that. I figure it was time to get it fixed for good, tired of being in pain, and eating Alleve like tic tacs.

Last year I started having problems with my left shoulder. I couldn't reach back to push myself up off a chair without excruciating pain. However, it didn't appear to affect my golf game so I just went with it. Them teeing off one day, at impact it was like I had been shot. I literally dropped to the ground because of the pain. We rode out, picked up my ball and I called it a day. Later that day the discomfort eased and I actually tried, successfully, to swing a club. I played the next day. I eventually went to my orthopedic guy and he indicate I originally had just a tear then completely severed that tendon leaving me with what is called "popeye muscle". He said if we did nothing I might lose about 10% strength in that arm and about the same loss in ability to twist my hand. I have done nothing and there is no pain nor noticeable loss of functionality.

Now my right shoulder is pretty much in pain most of the time but doesn't affect my activities of any functionality like the left did. I am almost hoping for a similar outcome as with the left shoulder so I can avoid surgery altogether.

Last year I started having problems with my left shoulder. I couldn't reach back to push myself up off a chair without excruciating pain. However, it didn't appear to affect my golf game so I just went with it. Them teeing off one day, at impact it was like I had been shot. I literally dropped to the ground because of the pain. We rode out, picked up my ball and I called it a day. Later that day the discomfort eased and I actually tried, successfully, to swing a club. I played the next day. I eventually went to my orthopedic guy and he indicate I originally had just a tear then completely severed that tendon leaving me with what is called "popeye muscle". He said if we did nothing I might lose about 10% strength in that arm and about the same loss in ability to twist my hand. I have done nothing and there is no pain nor noticeable loss of functionality.

Now my right shoulder is pretty much in pain most of the time but doesn't affect my activities of any functionality like the left did. I am almost hoping for a similar outcome as with the left shoulder so I can avoid surgery altogether.

For the most part, mine did not affect most activities the first year or so, now it bothers me daily. I have a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, and torn biceps tendon. Its not going to heal on its own, so I will have to get it eventually, as its hurting when i grab stuff, and I have lost strength compared to my left arm.

Yeah, I did not think of that. I am right handed too, and its my right shoulder. Should be a fun couple of months.

You figure it out quick. As a joke I asked my wife to assist and she told me to go #%*#% myself

Just had my MRI today and as it turns out, I have a torn labrum and not a torn rotator cuff...has anyone dealt with torn labrum before?...wondering is this is better or worse than a torn rotator cuff.

Back