RPP's 2022 Course Membership Dilemma

Which option would you go with?

• Iron Valley Membership

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Dauphin Highlands Membership

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Free Agency

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Other (because there's always someone!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'd appreciate some THP feedback, which option would you go with?

My course (Iron Valley) is increasing prices by a lot in 2022, which stinks because it's my favorite public course in the area. Going private isn't an option 1- because we may be moving in 18 months and 2- because my wife said so. I played 40 local rounds this year although I missed 1.5 prime months due to injury. There's only one other local course I'd consider joining. Other than that, I'd be heading to free agency where I'd rotate between 3-4 courses. In order of favorite to least favorite in my rotation are Iron Valley ($59-$79 in peak season), Dauphin Highlands ($45-$60), Royal Oaks ($40-$55), and Deer Valley ($30-$40). Please keep in mind that these are Central Pennsylvania courses with Central Pennsylvania prices and cost is important to me.

Iron Valley Pros - favorite course in the area, driving range access, cart included, pace generally good
Iron Valley Cons - expensive, hard to get friends to play (challenging, expensive) although I don't mind playing alone, tough course to walk/push
Dauphin Highland Notes - pace often brutal

Cost breakdown below. 75%/50% IV assume I'm playing 75%/50% of my rounds at Iron Valley.
1640185950288.png

Last edited:
For me, I'd go Dauphin.
You can always have stray rounds at IV.
I think if your friends are more likely to play there with you and it's cheaper...for me it's the way to go.

For me, I'd go Dauphin.
You can always have stray rounds at IV.
I think if your friends are more likely to play there with you and it's cheaper...for me it's the way to go.
I don’t think I could bring myself to pay the cart fee ($450) and I haven’t decided if I can commit that hard to #pushcartmafia 😆

I’d have to go with IV since it’s the favorite course. (Nothing worse than being frustrated on a course you don’t like.)

If you're aiming for 50 rounds, IV is still cheaper than all but one of the other options you listed. But, if you're friends are more likely to play at Dauphin and course conditions are the same, you could save some money there. The other thing I would personally consider is how crowded the courses are. I like being able to go out for a quick 9 holes by myself and I can do that at my current club. The other option in our area is way too crowded for me to be able to do that. That may or may not be important to you, but was a big consideration for me.

Is IV adding anything to the warrant the increase in price?

PS... My engineer side really likes your spreadsheet.

I don’t think I could bring myself to pay the cart fee ($450) and I haven’t decided if I can commit that hard to #pushcartmafia 😆

Your first mistake there is not committing to the push cart mafia. Way less stress on the body. It's just like pushing a shopping cart, except quite a bit lighter. If you walk, then you're not paying any cart fees unless you choose to, which is always an option. It might keep your costs way down just the same and that's a pretty big win in my book.

If you're aiming for 50 rounds, IV is still cheaper than all but one of the other options you listed. But, if you're friends are more likely to play at Dauphin and course conditions are the same, you could save some money there. The other thing I would personally consider is how crowded the courses are. I like being able to go out for a quick 9 holes by myself and I can do that at my current club. The other option in our area is way too crowded for me to be able to do that. That may or may not be important to you, but was a big consideration for me.
That’s a good point! I like Iron Valley and Royal Oaks because they are east of me teacher than west towards Hershey/Harrisburg, so the courses are generally less crowded. Pace is usually better too. Dauphin Highlands pace can be brutal although so can Iron Valley especially because it’s a challenging course. Definitely have a better shot at getting on for 9 at Iron Valley although I’d still pay the flat $20/round fee.

Is IV adding anything to the warrant the increase in price?

PS... My engineer side really likes your spreadsheet.
I ❤ spreadsheets! And I intend to ask that very question next time I’m at the course.

For me, the question I would ask first is how much are you intending to play? The more you play, the more it seems to favor Dauphin. The other thing that is important is asking which one are you going to enjoy more. If you enjoy Iron Valley, stay there because you’re more likely to get your money’s worth. The other side of the coin is that if you commit to playing IV almost exclusively, it’s cheaper to play Dauphin from time to time than it is to go back and play IV.

It sucks that the membership cost is going up, but it still seems like a better deal to stay.

Your first mistake there is not committing to the push cart mafia. Way less stress on the body. It's just like pushing a shopping cart, except quite a bit lighter. If you walk, then you're not paying any cart fees unless you choose to, which is always an option. It might keep your costs way down just the same and that's a pretty big win in my book.
I do love pushing! But I often feel disconnected from my buddies when I’m pushing and they’re riding.

Dauphin, It gives you the leeway to play IV occasionally as the cost per round isn't high at Dauphin

I guess what is blowing my mind is paying $1100 for a membership plus you still have to pay $20 per round. Sorry that's crazy. My membership will be $775 for year and no other fees..
Having said that I would go with Iron Valley if you really like the course.

Do you want to play alone or with friends more often?

If you're projecting a move in 18 months, what's keeping you from joining some place for 12 months? Aside from your wife saying NO! I mean.:ROFLMAO:

Put the names in a hat.
Pick the names.
Put them on a dartboard.
Throw darts.
Hit a target.

go play where you want to anyway.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IV and find new friends. :ROFLMAO:

I guess what is blowing my mind is paying $1100 for a membership plus you still have to pay $20 per round. Sorry that's crazy. My membership will be $775 for year and no other fees..
Having said that I would go with Iron Valley if you really like the course.
That’s a delightful price, but the cheapest membership around here is $1,400 no carts and the course is garbage. These are really the only two public courses I’d consider.

Do you want to play alone or with friends more often?

If you're projecting a move in 18 months, what's keeping you from joining some place for 12 months? Aside from your wife saying NO! I mean.:ROFLMAO:

Put the names in a hat.
Pick the names.
Put them on a dartboard.
Throw darts.
Hit a target.

go play where you want to anyway.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Club is already cost-prohibitive. They’ve stopped all promos and initiation fee makes it a no-go for such a short period.

Wow … sign me up!!
Have to pay for your cart if you want but you can also add that in if you want to for another $550 for the year. I walk now so no extra fees for me.

That’s a delightful price, but the cheapest membership around here is $1,400 no carts and the course is garbage. These are really the only two public courses I’d consider.
I guess the advantage of being in rural country. But I do have a 50 minute drive.

isn't a Motocaddy in your future?

That's such a hard question. Having a membership and still having to pay for a round, even if discounted is so weird to me. That's only because both courses in my area are both a one time fee and then unlimited play with no more money going out (unless you do carts). I know how much you like IV and pace would be huge to my enjoyment of the game. I still think I'd go there but if you're committed to playing more with friends, DH would be my choice

What's worth more to you, playing a course you like better or playing with your friends at a course you like less?

Me, I'd most likely go with Dauphin.

I would tend to go where you will play more. I used to play a lot alone and I like playing more with friends where you can have a match even if there isn't a lot of money on the line. I would go to where you can play more with friends if you will play the same amount (or more) golf.

isn't a Motocaddy in your future?

That's such a hard question. Having a membership and still having to pay for a round, even if discounted is so weird to me. That's only because both courses in my area are both a one time fee and then unlimited play with no more money going out (unless you do carts). I know how much you like IV and pace would be huge to my enjoyment of the game. I still think I'd go there but if you're committed to playing more with friends, DH would be my choice
What's worth more to you, playing a course you like better or playing with your friends at a course you like less?

Me, I'd most likely go with Dauphin.
I guess one of my big concerns is these guys don’t exclusively play Dauphin, they’ll go to a few other courses. At $1,750 upfront, Dauphin becomes extremely cost-prohibitive if I start to play elsewhere.
1640189451178.png

Back