Rules question: team match play

Vortex

Reaction score
Curious how THPers would rule on the following situation.

I'm playing in a team match play event at our club. We scheduled the match and I looked up our opponents on GHIN.com (we didn't know either guy). GHIN.com says their indexes are 7.0 and 9.0 the night before our match. Our side is 2.1 and 7.2.

I'm the first player, of the foursome, to arrive at the course and the pro shop gives me the official card. I noticed the 90% course handicap numbers are 8 and 13 for them and 3 and 8 for us. Our numbers are right. The 9.0 should have a course index of 11. How did this change so much in 2 days? New index system? Additional scores? Hmmm.

I hit the range before the match and the guy next to me has a butter swing and is pounding the ball. Very good player. We arrived on the first tee and, you guessed it, he's on the opposing team. We chat for a bit and learn that Mr. Butter is the 13. Double hmmm. I specifically asked him if the card is correct. "Yeah, that's about right". Okay, and we start the match. He stripes his opening shot down the middle of the fairway and outdrives everyone. The discussion quickly becomes; is the card right? The "better" player says he'll call the pro shop to check. Mr. Butter puts the approach shot on the green and he's closer to the pin than anybody else. He slaps the ball around for a bogey after his partner's in for par. We shake our heads with a disbelieving smirk and decided to give it our best.

A member of the pro shop responds to the call and visits our group on the second hole. We ask if Mr. Butter's index is correct and the pro shop guy says they looked everyone up this morning. I assume Mr. Butter loaded a bunch of BS scores the previous day and the case is closed. The guy proceeds to challenge my partner (who's a legit 2) on most holes. WTF? I semi-lose it after Mr. Butter makes an amazing par save on 8 and look him up on the GHIN app. Yep, he's a 9.0 (who's really a 5.0 but that another story). We get to the 9th green and I let the guys know I'm going to the pro shop because the card is wrong. It's late in the day and the tournament leader is gone so we decided to play on. On the 11th tee box, I said we have to figure this out. Mr. Butter's 90% course index is 10 on the GHIN app. He says that's not right and he should be 11. What?, you waited until the 11th hole to say your real number is 11. Side note: the pro shop said they're seeing some discrepancies between the GHIN software and the app.

We finish the match and lost 1 down. I handed in the card and wrote "PROTEST, THE CARDS SHOULD BE MARKED ACCURATELY!!!". I know the pro pretty well and the primary reason for the note is to give him grief. It's not a huge deal to us but we'll like to win, or lose, fair and square.

I saw the head pro yesterday for the first time since he learned about the situation. He said he needs to research what should be done. I said "it's not a big deal". He has a different take because they have to follow the rules otherwise they're opening Pandora's Box for other matches.

Upon more reflection, I agree with his point. What you guys think the ruling should be?

DQ on the guy knowingly playing under the wrong cap to his team’s advantage. Anything less and I’d move my membership.

DQ on the guy knowingly playing under the wrong cap to his team’s advantage. Anything less and I’d move my membership.
Yeah, he kind of blew it with what sounds like a half truth - knew it was wrong, but was trying to say it was close. Either way he knew 13 was wrong and played under it. DQ. Simple as that. Unless I'm reading something wrong.

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to be 'that guy' but landed on the same conclusion after thinking about the situation. If you lie about your score, when asked by the opponent, then you forfeit the hole. They did it 18 times and should be DQ'ed. Our opponents didn't mark the card but they had numerous opportunities to correct the error. Mr. Butter chose silence, for 10+ holes, and it absolutely impacted the integrity of this match.

So wait....was it the pro shops error or the players? I’m confused who might be putting the roofie into play here?

So wait....was it the pro shops error or the players? I’m confused who might be putting the roofie into play here?

Sounds like both, but this is a game of honestly and integrity and the player should have stepped up and said this is incorrect.

The pro shop prepares the cards for every match. Mr. Butter has a 9.0 index and players get 90%. The tees are 6,520 yards, 72.2/143. Therefore, Mr. Butter's course handicap for the match is 11, despite the app saying 10.

I specifically asked him on the 1st tee if 13 is the correct number.

The pro shop prepares the cards for every match. Mr. Butter has a 9.0 index and players get 90%. The tees are 6,520 yards, 72.2/143. Therefore, Mr. Butter's course handicap for the match is 11, despite the app saying 10.

I specifically asked him on the 1st tee if 13 is the correct number.

So he lied and denied the 13?

I agree with the others, the team should be DQ'd for false scorecards. Knowingly lied about HC.

So he lied and denied the 13?
He gave a half-truth and acted dumb by saying; "that's about right".

The question is; are player's responsible for the course handicap a tournament director puts next to their name? Let me give you an extreme situation. You should up for a handicapped event and they have you down at a 12. You don't say a word because you didn't prepare the card. Should you be DQ'ed if you play the match as a 12?

we'll like to win, or lose, fair and square.

I agree with this. I don't mind losing (ok, I do, but that's another conversation), but I want it to be legit.

He gave a half-truth and acted dumb by saying; "that's about right".

The question is; are player's responsible for the course handicap a tournament director puts next to their name? Let me give you an extreme situation. You should up for a handicapped event and they have you down at a 12. You don't say a word because you didn't prepare the card. Should you be DQ'ed if you play the match as a 12?

What if he honestly didn’t know & was being honest as the number sounded right? Your assuming he looks at his GHIN & knew. What if he knew the pro shop would of course get it right come playing time and never really knew?

What if he honestly didn’t know & was being honest as the number sounded right? Your assuming he looks at his GHIN & knew. What if he knew the pro shop would of course get it right come playing time and never really knew?
If you're driving 60 mph in a 40 mph zone and didn't see the sign, then are you guilty of speeding?

He clearly knew his course handicap. I said the GHIN app has your course index at 10. He quickly said 10 is wrong and it should be 11. In my opinion, he knew the number was wrong on the 1st tee and didn't say anything. His partner also knew it was wrong and tried to find a solution. Mr. Butter faced a decision and I'd suggest he picked the wrong answer. For the record, we had a good time golfing with these guys but the strokes mattered.

Integrity for the win! :)

Then he shouldn't have said later it should be 11. That's why I said he blew it. Even if there was a plausible mistake made that wasn't his, every junior golfer is taught to be 100% responsible for the accuracy of their card. It's competition 101. If he didn't know or was never taught that, he will after being DQ'd. I mean, it's a club event. It's not going to end anyone's career. Everyone admits the screw up, wipes their win, and moves on, right?

Last edited:
If you're driving 60 mph in a 40 mph zone and didn't see the sign, then are you guilty of speeding?

He clearly knew his course handicap. I said the GHIN app has your course index at 10. He quickly said 10 is wrong and it should be 11. In my opinion, he knew the number was wrong on the 1st tee and didn't say anything. His partner also knew it was wrong and tried to find a solution. Mr. Butter faced a decision and I'd suggest he picked the wrong answer. For the record, we had a good time golfing with these guys but the strokes mattered.

Integrity for the win! :)

I agree if you can prove he was being shady but the tournament director has to be held to some of the responsibility since they did the math and it was wrong.

Sounds like you caught a sandbagger. Tell your pro this is a gentleman's game and this guy is not behaving as such.

Justice, I say! You are in the right and those guys should be disqualified from all tournament play for the year imo.

I agree if you can prove he was being shady but the tournament director has to be held to some of the responsibility since they did the math and it was wrong.
Yep. The tournament team is great and the event is intended to facilitate meeting new people. They're in a tough spot on this one. We're playing for a polo and/or some golf ball so it's not worth getting bent out of shape. However, if you're going to enter a tournament then you have to follow the rules of golf. Can we use mulligans, move balls out of fairway divots, foot wedges near trees, etc?

Justice, I say! You are in the right and those guys should be disqualified from all tournament play for the year imo.
I'm with you on the justice part but a 1-year tournament ban is a tough sentence. I assume this is their first offense.

Yep. The tournament team is great and the event is intended to facilitate meeting new people. They're in a tough spot on this one. We're playing for a polo and/or some golf ball so it's not worth getting bent out of shape. However, if you're going to enter a tournament then you have to follow the rules of golf. Can we use mulligans, move balls out of fairway divots, foot wedges near trees, etc?

Any word on how the club messed up the cap? Like you said, it’s all for fun. You lost by a hole and should have made more putts so it didn’t come to this. You blew it and you know it. Don’t blame it on those jokers. Go have a transfusion & call it a day.

#ToughLove

I'm with you on the justice part but a 1-year tournament ban is a tough sentence. I assume this is their first offense.
I would guess these guys are habitual sandbaggers or they would have fessed up at the beginning. Such BS that cheating to win is so important to some folks. Much more satisfactory to win with honor

Any word on how the club messed up the cap? Like you said, it’s all for fun. You lost by a hole and should have made more putts so it didn’t come to this. You blew it and you know it. Don’t blame it on those jokers. Go have a transfusion & call it a day.

#ToughLove
The guy who screwed up feels terrible. They're running a BOGEY tournament!

Here's the death nail. Score is A/S on #17. Mr. Butter, my partner and I are in the fairway near the 150 marker. The green is wide but narrow front to back. There are two pot bunkers in front of the green and the pin is tucked behind one of them.

Mr. Butter goes first. He hits a high ball and sticks it 3 feet from the pin. Honestly, it was an unbelievable shot. My partner goes deep right and I'm short left. All three are on the green. We par and Butter drops the birdie. We pushed on 18.

I'd say pro shop dq....doesn't sound like his hcp reflects his play... Especially#17

This is random, but I kind of want someone to call me Mr. Butter now.

I like it.

This is random, but I kind of want someone to call me Mr. Butter now.

I like it.
Time for a new moniker? Replace OldandStiff with Mr. Butter? Strong hunch says you have a smooooooth swing.

Back