Scotty Cameron Red Dot Failure

Par5zN2

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Playing this past Saturday, I used my SC to scoop a partners ball out of the water. When I wiped my putter clean one of the red dots came off, it basically wiped off like a drop of water. It didn't fall apart, but it simply came off.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Is the dot died poly, glue?
Is it something I can repair?

I'm assuming I can send it to SC for this cosmetic repair.

Thoughts, suggestions???

Last edited:
do you have any pics?

I've never heard it of coming off that quickly from a dip of water. I clean mine regularly with glass cleaner and don't have issues. I'm sure you could throw some paintfill in there to fix it yourself, but if it was me I'd want scotty to make it right.

Depending on which Scotty it is, I don't think it should be a big issue.

I did some googling and if it's a more recent Scotty offering it's more like a little tab vs paint. You could either get some strong adhesive and glue it yourself or take it to a Titleist retailer and they can probably send it in for warranty claim.

You should be able to re paint it, just give it a good wipe down with acetone and go to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some googling and if it's a more recent Scotty offering it's more like a little tab vs paint. You could either get some strong adhesive and glue it yourself or take it to a Titleist retailer and they can probably send it in for warranty claim.
It's a California Monterey and I've been gaming it for about 4yrs. Of course I always wipe it clean but I've never used anything other and water and a damp cloth to clean it and it's always looked new.

I agree that it's a tab vs paint, when it came off I had the tab in my hand. I put it in my pocket but I apparently lost it sometime during the round.

do you have any pics?
I didn't take any pics, I can though. Seriously though, it came off like it was a sticker.

I've never heard it of coming off that quickly from a dip of water.
Since I've owned it, and have played it for about 4yrs I can't say it came off quickly. The other two seem solidly attached, this one just 'flipped off' when I wiped the back of the face.

first, I can't believe you did that hahaha!! Balls are cheap!
It was a junk ball too, wasn't the one I was looking for - Argh!

If your referring to one of the "cherry bombs" on the cavity, some of the studio' are notorious for just coming off all in one piece.
What you'll need to buy is Tamiya Clear Red (X27) paint, maybe $10 or less on eBay. A few drops of that with a toothpick in the center of the circle, then pull the paint to bleed into the edges and naturally level out. You'll be all set!

That sucks man. I had no idea those were tabs, I thought it was actual paint fill.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like there are more instances of Scotty's having these cheap manufacturing type problems than any other so called high end product.

It's a California Monterey and I've been gaming it for about 4yrs. Of course I always wipe it clean but I've never used anything other and water and a damp cloth to clean it and it's always looked new.

I agree that it's a tab vs paint, when it came off I had the tab in my hand. I put it in my pocket but I apparently lost it sometime during the round.

These things happen more than you'd think I bet. The decision to switch from paint filled in the Studio Stainless and original California honey dew series to a tab was an interesting moving, but it definitely changed the look.

You have options. Take it to a retailer and wait a while for warranty claim, or get creative with paints! Someone noted Tamiya -- I've never used that, but I have used testors enamel and it ends up looking really good.

Hey stixx, thanks for that tip. That'll definitely keep my cherry bombs looking fresh next time I do a paintfill. I used nail polish.. :clown:

That's pretty brutal for a "high end" putter .

Not even real paint fill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey stixx, thanks for that tip. That'll definitely keep my cherry bombs looking fresh next time I do a paintfill. I used nail polish.. :clown:
Yessir, I switched to all Tamiya paints after I bought the Clear Red to replace one of the cherry bombs on my Laguna. Matches perfectly and is high quality stuff. I will note that Tamiya sometimes can be finicky when drying. I usually leave it to dry for at least 48 hours and even use a hair dryer (after 24 hrs) to harden it a bit more.

Well, what I'm down to a few options:

1 - Pickup some Tamiya or Testors and do the cosmetic fixes myself.
2 - Try to work with SC on warranty work.
3 - Make it my own paint fill project and do all the lettering and cherry bombs myself.
4 - Send it off to SC for some custom work.

I like the idea of having SC do the custom work. I stepped through the process and it'll cost me $203 to get everything done, which includes a new head cover but minus authentication; I bought it new from Edwin Watts so I'm sure it's authentic.

Now I just need to decide. Of course this also means I'll need to pickup another putter I can use in the meantime...

1 - Pickup some Tamiya or Testors and do the cosmetic fixes myself.
2 - Try to work with SC on warranty work.
3 - Make it my own paint fill project and do all the lettering and cherry bombs myself.
4 - Send it off to SC for some custom work.
Option 2/4 are gonna put you in a bad spot without a putter for what might be weeks or months.
I like Option 1/3 for the shear fact that you will have limited down time, save money, and learn a new skill that you can't really screw up.
I'll even throw this out there, if you just wanna get the cherry bomb fixed. Send it to me, I'll fix it and send it back. Only cost to you is shipping.

Option 2/4 are gonna put you in a bad spot without a putter for what might be weeks or months.
I like Option 1/3 for the shear fact that you will have limited down time, save money, and learn a new skill that you can't really screw up.
I'll even throw this out there, if you just wanna get the cherry bomb fixed. Send it to me, I'll fix it and send it back. Only cost to you is shipping.
Awesome offer, thanks! I'm going to spend some time tonight on the paint fill thread, as well as some online searching to get the info I need to take on this project myself. I have no doubt I will be able to do the work once I obtain the proper advice. After all, I can't hurt the putter, and if I fail and can either start over, send it to the Custom Shop, or send it to you.

Awesome offer, thanks! I'm going to spend some time tonight on the paint fill thread, as well as some online searching to get the info I need to take on this project myself. I have no doubt I will be able to do the work once I obtain the proper advice. After all, I can't hurt the putter, and if I fail and can either start over, send it to the Custom Shop, or send it to you.
Also I recommend lint free "throw away" wipes by Kimtech called Kimwipes. You can get acetone from any grocery store, grab some sharp ended toothpicks, and q-tips. That should be the necessities!

Also I recommend lint free "throw away" wipes by Kimtech called Kimwipes. You can get acetone from any grocery store, grab some sharp ended toothpicks, and q-tips. That should be the necessities!
I already have all of this, I just need to read about the process/technique and make sure I have the correct paint.

These things happen more than you'd think I bet. The decision to switch from paint filled in the Studio Stainless and original California honey dew series to a tab was an interesting moving, but it definitely changed the look.

You have options. Take it to a retailer and wait a while for warranty claim, or get creative with paints! Someone noted Tamiya -- I've never used that, but I have used testors enamel and it ends up looking really good.

sorry if this goes a bit off course; There are some other areas where they've gone a bit cheap for the consumer grade models.

http://pluggedingolf.com/2016-scotty-cameron-select-newport-putter-review/

scroll down to the "Sound & Feel" section where the reviewer found the insert is held in with double sided tape. stick on dots and faces may be cutting a few too many corners in my book....

If your referring to one of the "cherry bombs" on the cavity, some of the studio' are notorious for just coming off all in one piece.
What you'll need to buy is Tamiya Clear Red (X27) paint, maybe $10 or less on eBay. A few drops of that with a toothpick in the center of the circle, then pull the paint to bleed into the edges and naturally level out. You'll be all set!

This. I've redone a few of mine, and it's super easy. Although, I'd recommend an application bottle with a very fine point in place of a toothpick. Makes it a little easier to apply and avoid bubbles. You can pick them up on Amazon or eBay for pretty cheap.

Back